Homebrewing - Part 3

Just done an inventory on ingredients that I have. Going to have to ramp up the brewing, got over 41kg of grain and over 2kg of hops!
I’m bottling my Vienna Lager in about 15mins and after that I only have enough bottles for one more batch. As a result I decided against brewing today - I’ll do the Czech lager next weekend.

I’m bottling my Vienna Lager in about 15mins and after that I only have enough bottles for one more batch. As a result I decided against brewing today - I’ll do the Czech lager next weekend.
I kegged my covid citra ale yesterday, force carbonated it and started drinking it about 4 hours later. Bit cloudy but will settle by next weekend. Also thought I’d drank all my mango pale ale but there’s half a keg there to go at. And my chocolate orange stout from last year should be mature enough now when I have a tap available.

How do you keep your fermenting vessels warm - do you have heaters?
I have a fridge with a greenhouse tube heater connected to an inkbird controller. I set the temp I want, if it drops below that, the heater switches on and the fridge off and vice versa.

I have a fridge with a greenhouse tube heater connected to an inkbird controller. I set the temp I want, if it drops below that, the heater switches on and the fridge off and vice versa.
That's got to make a HUGE difference to the quality of your beer?

I use a flat heat pad with a temp gauge attached. Might need to think about a cooler eg fridge if we have a warm summer. I don't think the heater actually needs to kick in at the moment cos of the heat the fermentation generates plus the insulation I have round it

Last edited:
I ain’t mate. Just keep a look out of the back of restaurants may be your best bet.

ok mate thanks. Asked me local n they reckon they dont use them, must get all bottles in cardboard now.
‘Forgot’ to give the asda man a couple back so theyl do. :lol:

ill grab those empties thurs if you dont mind? 4ish hopefully.

That's got to make a HUGE difference to the quality of your beer?
It has but I think the biggest thing is knowing you’re getting the best from the yeast if you use it at the correct temperature, I always go towards the lower end as I’m not usually bothered about quick fermentation. Great for when I did my one and only lager.

the 2 kits I done say 18-22 and thats generally the constant temp behind my kitchen door at the minute.
Made a contraption to house over pipes in airing cupboard ie sawed the legs off a chair ffs!:lol: But its about 27 in the so presumably too hot gents?
A bit obsessive with temps being in aircon n that. I could close control it in my office but the bastard would cost a fortune.:lol:

ok mate thanks. Asked me local n they reckon they dont use them, must get all bottles in cardboard now.
‘Forgot’ to give the asda man a couple back so theyl do. :lol:

ill grab those empties thurs if you dont mind? 4ish hopefully.
That’s not a problem mate. I’ll check to see how my stout is in the next day or two and I’ll do you a couple of bottles if it’s alright.

the 2 kits I done say 18-22 and thats generally the constant temp behind my kitchen door at the minute.
Made a contraption to house over pipes in airing cupboard ie sawed the legs off a chair ffs!:lol: But its about 27 in the so presumably too hot gents?
A bit obsessive with temps being in aircon n that. I could close control it in my office but the bastard would cost a fortune.:lol:
I'd have said that's too hot. I'd buy a heat pad once we get to September. From memory they're pretty cheap. I think the digital thermometer you plug in is more though. My bucket is surrounded by bubble wrap to insulate

Back