Homebrewing - Part 3

on the hydrometer theres a guage that shows abv (i didnt think that possible like?) its floating at zero mate.
A hydrometer is used to measure how much sugar is in the solution.

You’re meant to take a reading before you add the yeast and again when it finishes fermentation.You would then plug these into an online calculator (like this one Alcohol By Volume ABV Calculator - Brewer's Friend ) to get your ABV. Ignore everything else on the hydrometer other than the gravity markings - none of it is particularly useful for home brewing beer, and can just add confusion.

I think what you are seeing is a finishing gravity of <1.010 which will be around where it would say 0% (being what your approximate final ABV would be if your starting gravity was below 1.010).

On the Wherry, provided you’ve stirred the extract and water together properly, you should get a reading of 1.040-1.045ish before fermentation. At the end it should read about 1.008-1.012. This will give you around 4.5% ABV.

A hydrometer is used to measure how much sugar is in the solution.

You’re meant to take a reading before you add the yeast and again when it finishes fermentation.You would then plug these into an online calculator (like this one Alcohol By Volume ABV Calculator - Brewer's Friend ) to get your ABV. Ignore everything else on the hydrometer other than the gravity markings - none of it is particularly useful for home brewing beer, and can just add confusion.

I think what you are seeing is a finishing gravity of <1.010 which will be around where it would say 0% (being what your approximate final ABV would be if your starting gravity was below 1.010).

On the Wherry, provided you’ve stirred the extract and water together properly, you should get a reading of 1.040-1.045ish before fermentation. At the end it should read about 1.008-1.012. This will give you around 4.5% ABV.

Sure all are about right alcohol content Ive just not recorded it right, like a dickhead!

Right then. My lockdown project is just about complete.

over the last six weeks been pulling all the gear together, and slowly assembling the ‘brewery’ in the garage. Last bit of the jigsaw was when I found a decent sized newish larder fridge for £40 on gumtree a fortnight ago, which comfortably holds a couple of brew bins. Hoy in an inkbird and a tube heater and I’m good to go.

I eventually went for a Klarstein Mundschenk 30 L job, which I’ve ran a few times to gauge boil off rates, dead space, loss below the tap.

so, did my first simple brew yesterday and canny chuffed with the results. I was aiming for 20L into the bucket but only ended up with 18 in the end. i lost the other two litres cos I bought a hop spider and it was canny sodden even after I’d drained it, and I double checked and didn’t have the right numbers for loss below the tap. The gravity numbers were spot on though, so the method must have been ok.

only thing I’d change is the bazooka filter on the tap on the inside. It took ages to drain cos it got blocked to fuck every 5 liters or so, with the hot break shite. I’d dread to think what it would be like if I hadn’t used the hop spider. I had to scrape it every 5 liters with the paddle to get it going again.

think I’ll shove a filter bag Or something on the outside between the boiler and fermenting bin when I draw it off, and bin the bazooka filter. what do you reckon @Wilfy ?

Last edited:

over the last six weeks been pulling all the gear together, and slowly assembling the ‘brewery’ in the garage. Last bit of the jigsaw was when I found a decent sized newish larder fridge for £40 on gumtree a fortnight ago, which comfortably holds a couple of brew bins. Hoy in an inkbird and a tube heater and I’m good to go.

I eventually went for a Klarstein Mundschenk 30 L job, which I’ve ran a few times to gauge boil off rates, dead space, loss below the tap.

so, did my first simple brew yesterday and canny chuffed with the results. I was aiming for 20L into the bucket but only ended up with 18 in the end. i lost the other two litres cos I bought a hop spider and it was canny sodden even after I’d drained it, and I double checked and didn’t have the right numbers for loss below the tap. The gravity numbers were spot on though, so the method must have been ok.

only thing I’d change is the bazooka filter on the tap on the inside. It took ages to drain cos it got blocked to fuck every 5 liters or so, with the hot break shite. I’d dread to think what it would be like if I hadn’t used the hop spider. I had to scrape it every 5 liters with the paddle to get it going again.

think I’ll shove a filter bag Or something on the outside between the boiler and fermenting bin when I draw it off, and bin the bazooka filter. what do you reckon @Wilfy ?
I use one of these on the top of the fermenting bin to catch any shite. Any shite that does get through settles during fermentation.
Obviously cheaper at IKEA.

If you’re using leaf hops they can actually help with filtering as they prevent a lot of the shite getting through and blocking the filter. Too many and that goes out the window mind.

Very mixed results for me in the end, though with my rough n ready methods I`m not suprised.

IPA nice if drank young, Wherry spot on and CIder rank.

I¬ve enjoyed it and appreciate all the help. Truth be told I may have to wait till theres more time n space on my hands for wilfy like levels of commitment.

One of the many thinks managed during lockdown that I probably wouldnt have managed.

Very mixed results for me in the end, though with my rough n ready methods I`m not suprised.
IPA nice if drank young, Wherry spot on and CIder rank.

I¬ve enjoyed it and appreciate all the help. Truth be told I may have to wait till theres more time n space on my hands for wilfy like levels of commitment.
One of the many thinks managed during lockdown that I probably wouldnt have managed.
Ciders can take 6+ months to condition mind.

I don’t bother with the bazooka filter. If you could crash at the end of fermentation (which you are able to do now you have your fridge) then all the “gunk” sinks to the bottom of the FV anyway.

I don’t bother with the bazooka filter. If you could crash at the end of fermentation (which you are able to do now you have your fridge) then all the “gunk” sinks to the bottom of the FV anyway.
Aye that’s the plan. The inkbird things are absolutely class! I’ve even rigged up a little USB powered little PC case fan in there to keep the air circulating round :cool:

@Mickdundee @Wilfy lads, do you put your AG recipes together in software like Brewfather? I’m on the lookout for some recipes to build on, and adapt. I know brewdog released all their recipes and someone has put a canny web site together here Recipes - BrewDog Recipes

which is a canny starting point. Just interested as to what people do/use.

just taken a reading of the first full size AG brew I’ve done. A basic IPA, been bubbling away canny all week, and slowed down this weekend. Will give it another week and cold crash it next Sunday. My readings suggest the numbers are spot on. Looking at about 6.05%:cool:

@Mickdundee @Wilfy lads, do you put your AG recipes together in software like Brewfather? I’m on the lookout for some recipes to build on, and adapt. I know brewdog released all their recipes and someone has put a canny web site together here Recipes - BrewDog Recipes

which is a canny starting point. Just interested as to what people do/use.

just taken a reading of the first full size AG brew I’ve done. A basic IPA, been bubbling away canny all week, and slowed down this weekend. Will give it another week and cold crash it next Sunday. My readings suggest the numbers are spot on. Looking at about 6.05%:cool:
I use Brewers Friend for my recipes, I’ve got the iPhone app and plug my ingredients, hops etc in and you can then play about with it to get your IBUs etc right.

Back