Homebrewing - Part 3

I've been using brewuk for hops recently. Haven't bought any grain online for ages as I've been getting it from elderberry in Whitley bay for the last couple of brews.

I've been using brewuk for hops recently. Haven't bought any grain online for ages as I've been getting it from elderberry in Whitley bay for the last couple of brews.

I've been using Malt Miller, but going to do 3 or 4 brews in the next couple of weeks so wanted to buy in a bit more bulk. It's doing my nut in that I can't remember the place that does kilos.

Geterbrewed do any amount don't they?
That's who I use. Their custom grain kits are great - I usually compare it to buying everything separately and the kit is nearly always cheaper (the only exception being for my IPA when they had 25% off all hops a couple of months ago). Saves waste and having to weigh stuff out etc - just pour the contents of the bag into the strike water!

I've been using crossmyloof for yeast recently as well. Very quick and very cheap, might get my next hops from them. 10% off if you order through Facebook.

I've been using crossmyloof for yeast recently as well. Very quick and very cheap, might get my next hops from them. 10% off if you order through Facebook.
Yeah I've heard good things about them, but when I'm getting a big order from GEB it only works out about 50p cheaper to go through them so I've never bothered. If I do a brew and can't get the hops I want from GEB then I might try them.

I'd been considering getting a liquid yeast and re-using for my next 2 brews (which are now a British golden ale and a NEIPA) but I've just gone for 2 sachets of MJ British Ale instead.

Last edited:
Liquid yeasts and re-using / creating a house culture of yeast really interests me. But I'm not sure I would be able to do this in the garage?

Along with temperature control, I think that's the next big jump for me.

Liquid yeasts and re-using / creating a house culture of yeast really interests me. But I'm not sure I would be able to do this in the garage?

Along with temperature control, I think that's the next big jump for me.
I've never re-use before, and I've only ever used liquid yeast once (it was afreebie).

I wanted to do the Golden first so I was paranoid of ruining the most expensive brew I've ever done by pitching contaminated used yeast, which is what put me off - that and the fact I haven't ordered yet and plan on brewing on Wednesday.

My temperature control isn't very sophisticated - a cupboard under the stairs which is quite cool, an Inkbird and a heat belt - but it works well and I can easily keep it within 0.2C of my target temperature.

I've never re-use before, and I've only ever used liquid yeast once (it was afreebie).

I wanted to do the Golden first so I was paranoid of ruining the most expensive brew I've ever done by pitching contaminated used yeast, which is what put me off - that and the fact I haven't ordered yet and plan on brewing on Wednesday.

My temperature control isn't very sophisticated - a cupboard under the stairs which is quite cool, an Inkbird and a heat belt - but it works well and I can easily keep it within 0.2C of my target temperature.
Yeh, nor me - But I like the idea of having yeast "ready to go" the second I pitch it. Seems like its part of the "art" that I'm missing out on (although, feel free to point out that I'm not even "brewing" yet!!!)

Your temp control is vastly better than mine. I have nothing other than a bath filled with water to act as a buffer in summer.

I use the malt miller at the minute, used to use brewuk but they changed their crush and it ruined my efficiency. The malt miller always have everything I want which is something that has put me off geterbrewed in the past.

Reusing liquid yeast isn't difficult, I've got 3 strains in the fridge at the minute, 2 have been used twice and 1 three times...I hope to get at least 10 uses from each. If I can do it anyone can. I overbuild which pretty much eliminates trub and reduces the risk of mutations.

Have another view. Oh and 200g of hops? Thought you Scots were tight!
GEB had 20% off all hops back in February.

I nearly had a heart attack when I ordered my NEIPA this week - I ended up subbing most of the hops out for Falconers Flight!

My last brew blog is going down well, 75 views today alone. Sticking it on a Facebook Homebrew group I use, and my retweet from Geterbrewed has no doubt helped!

https://singingthebrews.wordpress.c...en-and-first-use-of-mangrove-jacks-m44-yeast/
"Initially, the only changes planned were to add a dry hop, delay some of the hop additions to later in the boil "

Literally the exact thing I want to do next time I make the beer I'm drinking right now. I've followed brewdogs hop schedule, but I'm getting too much "base" bitterness and not enough flavour

Back