Homebrewing - Part 3

Late start, but finally pencilled a weekend in that I'm free to make some beer.

Need to buy ingredients though.
Quick question - I've got some sealed foil packs of hops from last year - will they still be ok, or should I hoy them out. Same for yeast packets, any use still?

Anyone recommend a decent hydrometer? I'm sure the one I had last year was ropey.

Looking for a really good extract best bitter or golden ale recipe. Any suggestions?

Hops - should be fine if sealed I think. They may have lost some alpha acid content and some aroma but they should be useable. You can smell them to check, they'll not smell like hops if they're dead.

Yeast depends where it has been stored, if it's in a fridge you'll be alright, if not I'd buy fresh.

Wilco hydrometers are decent, both I've got read 1.000 in 20c water. If you're buying online and won't do beers over 1.060 og then large scale hydrometers are brilliant, much easier to read.

Hops - should be fine if sealed I think. They may have lost some alpha acid content and some aroma but they should be useable. You can smell them to check, they'll not smell like hops if they're dead.

Yeast depends where it has been stored, if it's in a fridge you'll be alright, if not I'd buy fresh.

Wilco hydrometers are decent, both I've got read 1.000 in 20c water. If you're buying online and won't do beers over 1.060 og then large scale hydrometers are brilliant, much easier to read.
Thanks mate.

I'm thinking about doing steeping grains this year. Just bought a stick on thermometer for the boiling pot so I can read 60c

Going to get a Black Sheep Ale extra and grain kit to learn how to go about steeping. I understand I hold my water at about 65C and steep in a muslin or nylon bag for 25mins or so?
Then whack the extra in, and follow the hop schedule.

Somewhat late to this homebrew forum, I’ve been brewing wine for a few years. I’m building a pubshed and fancy giving some homebrew IPA's red if possible a try. Can anyone throw up a link up best places to buy online and what materials I would need to start out and maybe the best recipes to follow as totally new to the process

Somewhat late to this homebrew forum, I’ve been brewing wine for a few years. I’m building a pubshed and fancy giving some homebrew IPA's red if possible a try. Can anyone throw up a link up best places to buy online and what materials I would need to start out and maybe the best recipes to follow as totally new to the process
I only buy basic beer kits and a few odds and ends such as steriliser etc, but all of it I've bought from here and I've found they are pretty good http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/
This last weekend I've bottled this http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Muntons_Gold_40_pint_Continental_Pilsner_Beer_Kit.html and also put this on ferment http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Woodfordes_Wherry_Beer_Kit.html

Have a read back through this thread mate - and possibly the first 2 threads too.

Loads of great advice.

What's your equipment budget?

What's your equipment budget?
Equipment wise say £200-£300 then whatever on top for ingredients essentials per brew.

Have a read back through this thread mate - and possibly the first 2 threads too.

Loads of great advice.

I realised how big the threads were a
lot of trawling! I'll get through them when I can :)

Last edited:
You could get an ace brewer for about £319 from eBay, they seem to be getting popular. There's a canny thread on thehomebrewforum.co.uk about them.

Equipment wise say £200-£300 then whatever on top for ingredients essentials per brew.

I realised how big the threads were a
lot of trawling! I'll get through them when I can :)

If you want everyone to think you are hard as fuck, shell out the extra and get a grainfather.

@Typhoonftm
Probably best to move our convo here.

Yeh, everything had a thin layer of mould on it, so everything needed cleaning. Set the burner away with 25L of mild PBW solution and set about cleaning the whole place. Including a swill of the water containers.

I've been reading more and more about how water containers (including sports bottles) are f***ing manky and shouldn't be refilled too many times without a wash.

Its ok though, that solution along with all the water to rinse them out is now in the newly-cleaned & lined bath ready to do its job for this year.

Considering doing some "contract" brews for friends and family this year. They pay for whatever ingredients and I keep 6-8 bottles for my time (and to taste them, quality check etc).
Keeps my costs down to near-zero whilst still getting to brew? What do you think?

@Typhoonftm
Probably best to move our convo here.

Yeh, everything had a thin layer of mould on it, so everything needed cleaning. Set the burner away with 25L of mild PBW solution and set about cleaning the whole place. Including a swill of the water containers.

I've been reading more and more about how water containers (including sports bottles) are f***ing manky and shouldn't be refilled too many times without a wash.

Its ok though, that solution along with all the water to rinse them out is now in the newly-cleaned & lined bath ready to do its job for this year.

Considering doing some "contract" brews for friends and family this year. They pay for whatever ingredients and I keep 6-8 bottles for my time (and to taste them, quality check etc).
Keeps my costs down to near-zero whilst still getting to brew? What do you think?
Aye, sounds good to me marra. This time next year Rodders..... ;)

With regards to the other thread... I was just wondering why you were having a Pokey Bum Wank on the containers! :lol: It would explain the mould I suppose ;)

Back