Homebrewing - Part 3

If you can convince the SMB you can convince anybody man
I'm planning my next 3 brews at the moment - an APA, a Belgian Witbier and a Steam Beer. Am I allowed to call them that or is it a heavily hopped pale ale, a Wheat beer with orange and coriander and an amber beer brewed with a specialty lager/ale hybrid yeast?

I'm planning my next 3 brews at the moment - an APA, a Belgian Witbier and a Steam Beer. Am I allowed to call them that or is it a heavily hopped pale ale, a Wheat beer with orange and coriander and an amber beer brewed with a specialty lager/ale hybrid yeast?

i think you know the answer.

You got a good recipe for the steam beer?

You got a good recipe for the steam beer?
Yeah, I'm on version 3 at the moment. First time was just 87.5% lager 12.5% crystal and hopped up to 45IBUs with Northern brewer, and it was beautiful but it just felt like it was missing something.

The second time I tried to keep the crystal malt below 10% because the HBF said so, and added a touch of Munich and rye (after reading that they both give it something extra online) but had a disaster with my efficiency and it turned out like a pseudo lager.

This time I'm going 80% lager malt, 4% rye, 4% Munich, 12% crystal.

Black IPA brew this Saturday for me. A style that tends to cause plenty ructions.
Ah man, you've bought done it now. @Twisted

Yeah, I'm on version 3 at the moment. First time was just 87.5% lager 12.5% crystal and hopped up to 45IBUs with Northern brewer, and it was beautiful but it just felt like it was missing something.

The second time I tried to keep the crystal malt below 10% because the HBF said so, and added a touch of Munich and rye (after reading that they both give it something extra online) but had a disaster with my efficiency and it turned out like a pseudo lager.

Cheers, will do a bit of research as I don't know what to brew next.

That sounds class that like.

What temperature do you ferment it at? Like an ale?

That sounds class that like.

What temperature do you ferment it at? Like an ale?
Yeah I've been using the Mangrove Jacks California Lager yeast at 18C. It's an ale yeast with Lager characteristics.

I'm tempted to use Saflager or a liquid steam yeast at some point but want to perfect my recipe first.

If you are keen to learn about different styles, try to get hold of the Greg Hughes book, which has recipes for most beer styles. Also, although it can be a bit boring unless you are looking for something specific, the BJCP style guidelines are available to download for free on the BJCP website (http://www.bjcp.org/)

Brewing classic styles by Jamil Zainasheff is great for learning about styles, it has a description, tips and and an award winning recipe for every bjcp style.

Aha! Checkmate, sort of. Glad you've all come round to my way of thinking. ish.
It's not even that simple tho, loads of American IPA recipes use British hops. It's all a load of over complicated bollocks really.

Black IPA brew this Saturday for me. A style that tends to cause plenty ructions.
I'm brewing a black IPA next week, it's a style I really like but the name really gets on my wick.

Last edited:
By the sounds of it then American IPAs are what I've been thinking ordinary ipas are then. Never seen the likes of Jaipur or brewdog marketed as aipas. Or not that I've noticed.... Not really my kind of beer.
Did you know that those 2 beers have the same origin? Same person.

Just to add even more pedantry to the thread, but Greene King IPA is actually given as a commercial example of an ordinary Bitter in the BJCP guidelines rather than an English IPA.
Can we not talk about that utter shite beer? Its like they went out of their way to make a bad beer, and then give it a misleading name.

Any thoughts on when its possible to start brewing ale in my detached garage (deteached in the sense that its not connected to the house, so no central heating or electric).

I get the feeling I didn't manage the temps very well last year until Summer. Sleeping bag around the FV any good If so, what outside temps can that work with?

Last edited:
My long term plan is to open a pub/restaurant/micro brewery but I need a f***ing fortune before I can do it. If it works out I'll have at least one pub selling my beer so it's a start! :lol:

Those brew lab courses sound really good, not cheap mind.
I have just had 2 pints of a smashing IPA from the heavy industry micro brewery in Denbighshire. One of the owners learned his stuff at brewlab in Sunderland.

https://www.heavyindustrybrewing.com/77

Back