Holidaying abroad this year

In an idle moment I clicked on your link… to the site that I have as one of my favourites anyway. Just to see the update that you suggest gives info on the topic under discussion.

There isn’t one.
Sorry, I just assumed that because it's on there they had been an update. Someone pointed out it's not a new thing and has been in place since early last year. I suspect this is our wonderful press picking up on something and making a story out of it just in tume for peak holiday season.

Sorry, I just assumed that because it's on there they had been an update. Someone pointed out it's not a new thing and has been in place since early last year. I suspect this is our wonderful press picking up on something and making a story out of it just in tume for peak holiday season.

When you say ‘it’s on there…’ could you do me a favour? Could you cut and paste any of the bits that relate to what was being discussed (or a link to that particular section) i.e. requirements for evidence of accommodation, carta de invitacion, evidence of access to a certain amount of finance (cash, bank statement etc) etc., … because for the life of me I can’t find any mention of it.

Maybe I’m just having a ‘man look’ as my wife calls it. Sorry like.

When you say ‘it’s on there…’ could you do me a favour? Could you cut and paste any of the bits that relate to what was being discussed (or a link to that particular section) i.e. requirements for evidence of accommodation, carta de invitacion, evidence of access to a certain amount of finance (cash, bank statement etc) etc., … because for the life of me I can’t find any mention of it.

Maybe I’m just having a ‘man look’ as my wife calls it. Sorry like.

Additional documents required by tourists​

UK nationals entering the Schengen zone as tourists may need to provide additional documents at the border. As well as a valid return or onward ticket, it is possible that travellers to Spain may also be asked to:

UK nationals entering the Schengen zone as tourists may need to provide additional documents at the border. As well as a valid return or onward ticket, it is possible that travellers to Spain may also be asked to:

Thanks. I missed that hiding under the bit about e-gates and being a resident. 🙄 My curiosity is satisfied.

checking in online with ryanair for a return flight to UK. They're asking for covid documents to be uploaded. They're not needed now though are they?

Just bought the highway tickets for Slovenia and Austria - Croatia here we come next week
Love Croatia.

We've been looking at Makarska for next September but some of the prices are ridiculous - £3K+ for a fortnight for the two of us!

In comparison, we're off to Nidri on Lefkada in three and a half weeks time and its cost just over £1.4K for the fortnight.

Love Croatia.

We've been looking at Makarska for next September but some of the prices are ridiculous - £3K+ for a fortnight for the two of us!

In comparison, we're off to Nidri on Lefkada in three and a half weeks time and its cost just over £1.4K for the fortnight.
Makarska is class mind but proper cz/SK destination so not what Brits are used to 😂

Prices have gone nuts, we've paid 2k for the villa cos we booked as we left last year it's 4k now - mental but loads of Dutch and krauts would rather drive that fly this year so demands there

From the a Daily Mirror:

“In the statement, Manuel Butler, the Spanish Tourist Office director (UK), said: “The requirement for UK travellers to be able to illustrate sufficient means for the duration of their stay and the return is established in the Schengen Borders Code and is not a Spain-specific requirement.

"This is not a new requirement and has been in place for some time for visitors from outside of the European Union or Schengen area.

When entering Spain, these checks are not systematically carried out for every traveller.

He added: "Likewise, travellers coming to the UK are also required to show that they have specific means to support themselves and any dependents for the duration of the trip and the ability to pay for the return or onward journey."

In its travel advice for the holiday hotspot, the Foreign Office already warns Brits that they "may need to provide additional documents at the border".

The advice explains that "as well as a valid return or onward ticket, it is possible that travellers to Spain may also be asked" to show proof of having enough money for your stay, proof of accommodation, or an invitation from a host/proof of their address.”

It’s unlike the British press to publish misleading articles that confuse people only to publish later articles that report that people were unnecessarily confused by misleading press articles. 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
From the a Daily Mirror:

“In the statement, Manuel Butler, the Spanish Tourist Office director (UK), said: “The requirement for UK travellers to be able to illustrate sufficient means for the duration of their stay and the return is established in the Schengen Borders Code and is not a Spain-specific requirement.

"This is not a new requirement and has been in place for some time for visitors from outside of the European Union or Schengen area.

When entering Spain, these checks are not systematically carried out for every traveller.

He added: "Likewise, travellers coming to the UK are also required to show that they have specific means to support themselves and any dependents for the duration of the trip and the ability to pay for the return or onward journey."

In its travel advice for the holiday hotspot, the Foreign Office already warns Brits that they "may need to provide additional documents at the border".

The advice explains that "as well as a valid return or onward ticket, it is possible that travellers to Spain may also be asked" to show proof of having enough money for your stay, proof of accommodation, or an invitation from a host/proof of their address.”

It’s unlike the British press to publish misleading articles that confuse people only to publish later articles that report that people were unnecessarily confused by misleading press articles. 😀
Me and my other half flew from Edinburgh to Seville last weekend. We were taking our time and at back of customs queue but never saw anyone getting anything other than passports checked. There was a lot of Spanish on the flight but still plenty Brits. It turned into one of my quickest ever airport exits. British press scaremongering as said before.

The rule came out in January, I went to Spain in June and no one was interested in location details or money you had, only minor glances on COVID stuff.

The rule came out in January, I went to Spain in June and no one was interested in location details or money you had, only minor glances on COVID stuff.

They didn't even glance at my COVID form on arrival in Tenerife last month. Just got asked if I had one and was waved through without having to get it out of my bag,

This is not a new requirement and has been in place for some time for visitors from outside of the European Union or Schengen area.

(says the Spanish Minister for Tourism ) ✔️

They didn't even glance at my COVID form on arrival in Tenerife last month. Just got asked if I had one and was waved through without having to get it out of my bag,
We’ve only had Covid stuff checked once at tfs and that was Ryan air on our way home last october.
Was the jan before. It’s an ancient rule.

Last edited:

Back