Holidaying abroad this year

pharoah enough
Mind I went on the government website to look for the updated travel information and seen this...

While rare, there have been a number of shark attacks involving tourists in the Red Sea region. These include:

• in July 2022, two tourists were killed after being attacked while swimming near a resort in Hurghada
I was hoping to do some snorkeling. I think I'll stick to the pool.

Mind I went on the government website to look for the updated travel information and seen this...

While rare, there have been a number of shark attacks involving tourists in the Red Sea region. These include:

• in July 2022, two tourists were killed after being attacked while swimming near a resort in Hurghada
I was hoping to do some snorkeling. I think I'll stick to the pool.
did read about the shark attack, agree, best off sticking to pool .

did read about the shark attack, agree, best off sticking to pool .
I was there about 6 years ago and there was loads of people trying to sell shark fishing trips. The reps were saying not to fall for it because nobody ever sees anything let alone gets a bite. I wonder if all that chum they're hoying in has started drawing them nearer the coast?

I was there about 6 years ago and there was loads of people trying to sell shark fishing trips. The reps were saying not to fall for it because nobody ever sees anything let alone gets a bite. I wonder if all that chum they're hoying in has started drawing them nearer the coast?
certainly feasible

Just being curious, why Egypt and in August?
We went to Sharm about 6 years ago and always said we'd try Hurghada, but never have. We can only take our holidays in school holiday time because of our jobs. The prices for that time of year were crackers in most places when we were looking back in March. We got 14 nights AI, Flights and private transfers for 3k for the 4 of us. It was going to cost that for a week in Gran Canaria. The heat doesn't bother us as we tend to have lazy days around the pool. I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you like to be out and about during the day. We've holidayed in the likes of Turkey and Tunisia quite regularly over the years, so the Russians don't really bother me.

We went to Sharm about 6 years ago and always said we'd try Hurghada, but never have. We can only take our holidays in school holiday time because of our jobs. The prices for that time of year were crackers in most places when we were looking back in March. We got 14 nights AI, Flights and private transfers for 3k for the 4 of us. It was going to cost that for a week in Gran Canaria. The heat doesn't bother us as we tend to have lazy days around the pool. I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you like to be out and about during the day. We've holidayed in the likes of Turkey and Tunisia quite regularly over the years, so the Russians don't really bother me.
I’ve spent a fair bit of time with work in Egypt and never gave it a thought for a holiday, same with other middle east destinations. Quite enjoyed working in the heat and certainly beats our summers. Have a great time.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time with work in Egypt and never gave it a thought for a holiday, same with other middle east destinations. Quite enjoyed working in the heat and certainly beats our summers. Have a great time.
Cheers mate. When we were in Sharm the locals were brilliant. There were a few parts and bars that we were advised to avoid, but can honestly say they were all very friendly. Got very little hassle at shops and the staff at the hotel wouldn't let us lift a finger.

Back from Aruba, everything was fine no restrictions, flew with Tui, who were great
Next day flew to Dublin, Newcastle airport was fantastic to be fair, straight through in 15 mins.
Dublin airport coming home on Sunday evening was a nightmare, took 90 mins to get through security, snake queues all over.

I flew into Malta airport last week prior to a holiday on Gozo.

It took me a little longer to get through customs than the missus but I just walked ahead toward baggage claim to catch up.

On the way, with a load of my fellow passengers, I passed two blokes sat at tall desk things who ignored me and continued texting on their phones. I walked a little further before realising the missus must have popped into the loo just past customs, so I walked back, being passed, again, by customs cleared passengers, to wait outside the loos for her. The same two blokes were still busy on their phones.

When the missus came out, we walked towards baggage collection together, past the two blokes. They ignored us. A few yards further on I heard one of them calling out to some of the people behind us and asking them for their covid passes. By this time I’d say about 60% of our flight had walked past them, including me (three times) and been totally ignored.

I think I’m much more likely to be killed by an utterly oblivious car, truck or bike driver on Gozo or Malta than affected by covid tbf. They always seem to consider road markings, lane's, roundabouts, indicators and signage as a casual recommendation, and other users as a rude inconvenience to their own progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

It took me a little longer to get through customs than the missus but I just walked ahead toward baggage claim to catch up.

On the way, with a load of my fellow passengers, I passed two blokes sat at tall desk things who ignored me and continued texting on their phones. I walked a little further before realising the missus must have popped into the loo just past customs, so I walked back, being passed, again, by customs cleared passengers, to wait outside the loos for her. The same two blokes were still busy on their phones.

When the missus came out, we walked towards baggage collection together, past the two blokes. They ignored us. A few yards further on I heard one of them calling out to some of the people behind us and asking them for their covid passes. By this time I’d say about 60% of our flight had walked past them, including me (three times) and been totally ignored.

I think I’m much more likely to be killed by an utterly oblivious car, truck or bike driver on Gozo or Malta than affected by covid tbf. They always seem to consider road markings, lane's, roundabouts, indicators and signage as a casual recommendation, and other users as a rude inconvenience to their own progress.
Driving is mental on Malta.

Me and my missus nearly got wiped out a couple of times in Sliema when crossing supposed one-way streets by cars coming from the 'wrong' direction.

Even though they drive on the left (allegedly), I still wouldn't consider hiring a car there.

The only rule of the road in Malta + Gozo is "drive in the shade"

Driving is mental on Malta.

Me and my missus nearly got wiped out a couple of times in Sliema when crossing supposed one-way streets by cars coming from the 'wrong' direction.

Even though they drive on the left (allegedly), I still wouldn't consider hiring a car there.

I love Malta but you would have to be insane to hire a car there. Not only is the driving crazy but parking is impossible too. Besides the local bus service is pretty good.

I love Malta but you would have to be insane to hire a car there. Not only is the driving crazy but parking is impossible too. Besides the local bus service is pretty good.

I didn’t hire a car on Malta. I hired a car on Gozo. I’ve only ever hired a car on Malta to get me to the ferry to Gozo and then to drive on Gozo. But this time I hired it from Victoria on Gozo. Mind it’s only a 1 litre thing. But like an air conditioned lawnmower with a car chassis dropped on top. I can barely make it up the hills in first gear. No problem with parking.

Flew out of Newcastle on Saturday morning. Airport was really busy but bag drop and security were a doddle. Once we landed in Fuerteventura we were through passport control, random covid checks and luggage reclaim within 20 minutes, best I've had it for years

Back