Holiday idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algarve.

Gorgeous beaches. Did a jeep safari trip around rural Algarve, up into Monchique in the mountains, piri piri chicken at a restaurant for locals - loved that one! A coach trip showing the highlights of the Algarve - small towns with historical interest etc., and Cape St Vincent, the most south westerly point of Europe. Also did a speed boat trip out to see dolphins in the wild which my little one loved seeing.

There were also trips to Lisbon and trips into Spain to Granada or Seville or Gibraltar.

Algarve.

Gorgeous beaches. Did a jeep safari trip around rural Algarve, up into Monchique in the mountains, piri piri chicken at a restaurant for locals - loved that one! A coach trip showing the highlights of the Algarve - small towns with historical interest etc., and Cape St Vincent, the most south westerly point of Europe. Also did a speed boat trip out to see dolphins in the wild which my little one loved seeing.

There were also trips to Lisbon and trips into Spain to Granada or Seville or Gibraltar.
We went to Prai de Roche (sp) one of the most souless places I've ever been and the drivers were absolutely mental.
I hate purpose built resorts with no character.
I want to go to Lisbon though

How about Tuscany ... I worked in Lucca for a while and its a great place . There is a nice coastal resort nearby called Viareggio and if based there you can get to Lucca direct by train in 20 minutes , Florence and Siena on same train is 1 hour and 2 hours respectively . Pisa also just 20 minutes away . Jet2 do flights from Newcastle to Pisa iirc

We usually do Greek holidays lazy ones centred around the beach. SWMBO has just said tonight she wants a change.
She wants beach one day then a trip the next day. Not Spain.
Anyone got a suggestion ?
Must be Europe.

Venice.

Stay on Lido. One of the islands which has a great beach. Only a 15 min water bus ride to the main island (st marks etc).
Beach one day. Sightseeing etc the next.

We went to Prai de Roche (sp) one of the most souless places I've ever been and the drivers were absolutely mental.
I hate purpose built resorts with no character.
I want to go to Lisbon though

Unlucky! I wouldn't fancy going there mind.

We went to Olhos d'Agua. Lovely fishing village mainly frequently by Portuguese people. No loud disco bars, no stag/hen/18-30 groups - just families enjoying themselves. Might be a bit quiet and laid back for some people, but I loved it.

Unlucky! I wouldn't fancy going there mind.

We went to Olhos d'Agua. Lovely fishing village mainly frequently by Portuguese people. No loud disco bars, no stag/hen/18-30 groups - just families enjoying themselves. Might be a bit quiet and laid back for some people, but I loved it.
If you like things like that you would probably love Gozo outside of July and August.
The food was ok where we went . Plenty of fish and piri piri

If you like things like that you would probably love Gozo outside of July and August.
The food was ok where we went . Plenty of fish and piri piri

I'm tied to school holidays.

Did Zakynthos this year because I wanted to see Navagio beach and really wanted to go to Olympia which was fantastic and I ran the track in my Sunderland shirt :lol: Going to Crete next summer as I read a book about Spinalonga so I'd like to see that.

(Predictably for me) - Basque country. Great beaches, lovely cities and towns, lush mountains, fantastic food and drink and in the Summer there's loads of festivals going on in most towns and villages.

Places to stay/visit (I recommend a week or two going between them, there's trains and buses available, so no need to drive).

Bilbao, Plentzia, Bakio, Gernika, Bermeo, Lekeitio, Zarautz, San Sebastian, Hondarribia. - that's just the coast.

Last edited:
We usually do Greek holidays lazy ones centred around the beach. SWMBO has just said tonight she wants a change.
She wants beach one day then a trip the next day. Not Spain.
Anyone got a suggestion ?
Must be Europe.
South of France , loads to see , Monte Carlo , Nice, Cannes , Antibes , st,tropez , etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back