HMS Queen Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

A white elephant, the £££ could have been used to build hospitals, schools, etc.

I disagree with this on a few points.

In the first instance, it generates jobs in engineering for FEED, supply chain and manufacturing. What we don't always do well, is to keep this money within the UK which should be addressed.

Then upon completion, it's a symbol of our competativeness in the global market. We can't be seen to be overtaken by other countries as this has secondary effects on our economy and diplomatic strength. It's a false economy to not spend in this area.

Because they never fitted cat and traps it is severely limited to short take off aircraft and small payloads.

I may not be a military expert but I doubt it's much use in a war against nutters driving cars into people or hiding in caves.
On that basis we might as well dock the entire fleet and just not bother then.

Because they never fitted cat and traps it is severely limited to short take off aircraft and small payloads.
First decent argument yet, down to the incompetence of the people responsible for pulling together the contact and the strangle hold BAE have ove our armed forces.

Last edited:
All it takes is one cruise missile to get through the defences and a 3 billion pound warship is scuppered. All very well and good launching bombing raids against rag tag terrorists, but against a nation with advanced missile technology I have my doubts over these big lumbering warships.

Thought it was grey?
No that's the OP

It's too big to be "hidden" at sea and we haven't got enough planes to fully utilise it and never will, it's sister ship is going to be scrapped before even being completed. Billions of pounds wasted in these times of austerity.
Jingoists never have and never will bleat about the criminal waste in defence equipment spending that happens year after year.
Of course we need to spend on defemce but they could be a little more judicious about it.
Bottom line the only countries likely to want to threaten us will already be at war with the yanks.
Mind a bit of sabre rattling against the likes of tin pot banana republics like the argies is always a good excuse to bring out the toys.
Reality is against the big boys like china or the russia we are just cannon fodder.

Last edited:
No that's the OP

Jingoists never have and never will bleat about the criminal waste in defence equipment spending that happens year after year.
Of course we need to spend on defemce but they could be a little more judicious about it.
Bottom line the only countries likely to want to threaten us will already be at war with the yanks.
Mind a bit of sabre rattling against the likes of tin pot banana republics like the argies is always a good excuse to bring out the toys.
Reality is against the big boys like china or the russia we are just cannon fodder.

China & Russia (and NK) just have large manpower. Their engineering/weapons technology is still rather primitive in comparison with western military hardware.

Anyhow, off out down the seafront to have a gander and see what all the fuss is about.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back