HMS Queen Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good points, yes the hs2 cash could be better spent.

1960 was a different world than today.

The budgets shouldn't be taken in isolation.

In 1960 they were spending money to stop people getting ricketts, TB and Polio and live beyond 60. All that's done is create more spending further down the ageing line on things such as Alzheimer's, dementia and frailty (domicillary care isn't cheap).

I'd have a stab that spending 2% of GDP on defence saves us spending money on defence. If we weren't part of NATO (rules: need to spend 2% of GDP on defence) we wouldn't have the huge resources of the US to fall back on/subsidise us.

What's an attack budget?
What is this big lump going to defend? It is built to attack people and to kill.

Ministry of 'defence'??? :lol:

In 1960 they were spending money to stop people getting ricketts, TB and Polio and live beyond 60. All that's done is create more spending further down the ageing line on things such as Alzheimer's, dementia and frailty (domicillary care isn't cheap).

I'd have a stab that spending 2% of GDP on defence saves us spending money on defence. If we weren't part of NATO (rules: need to spend 2% of GDP on defence) we wouldn't have the huge resources of the US to fall back on/subsidise us.
Ok so people who have lived are to blame for health expenditure? I suppose you have a point as more people drank and smoked in the 60s so will be keeling over around now. My point was that the 60s were the height of the Cold War so that would explain high military spending and lower health spending.

Do all of the other NATO countries spend 2% of GDP?

Last edited:
What is this big lump going to defend? It is built to attack people and to kill.

Ok so people who have lived are to blame for health expenditure? I suppose you have a point as more people drank and smoked in the 60s so will be keeling over around now. My point was that the 60s were the height of the Cold War so that would explain high military spending and lower health spending.

I'm not blaming anyone, just pointing out that a consequence of increasing longetivity has brought other probably unforeseen consequences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Given the state of the world I have no problem with the Labour Party commissioning two aircraft carriers.

Problem I have got we will have the ships but thanks to the tories messing about they have no aeroplanes.

Tories strong on law and order - Police cut by 20,000.

Tories strong on immigration - record numbers pouring into the country.

Tories strong on defence - an aircraft carrier with no aircraft.

You couldnt make it up!

If you could tell us which conflicts/wars we have been the initial aggressor for in the last 100 years, I'll concede your point. Can't think of any off the top of my head...

Given the state of the world I have no problem with the Labour Party commissioning two aircraft carriers.

Problem I have got we will have the ships but thanks to the tories messing about they have no aeroplanes.

Tories strong on law and order - Police cut by 20,000.

Tories strong on immigration - record numbers pouring into the country.

Tories strong on defence - an aircraft carrier with no aircraft.

You couldnt make it up!
at this moment in time they aren't meant to have aircraft, it's still undergoing sea trials and and hasn't officially been handed over to the navy, there's till work to be carried out before it's ready.

Have any of your kids needed on.
MRI scanners are astonishing pieces of 'kit' and produce outstanding results. We should have enough of them to meet the need for those who need them (I've been in one a few times and there is a banging techno tune in there that eludes me once I'm out). This ship looks bloody fantastic and probably won't do anything tangibly useful but thats the way of the world.

If you could tell us which conflicts/wars we have been the initial aggressor for in the last 100 years, I'll concede your point. Can't think of any off the top of my head...
Suez? The invasion was started by Israel but it had been planned by the British and French too.

at this moment in time they aren't meant to have aircraft, it's still undergoing sea trials and and hasn't officially been handed over to the navy, there's till work to be carried out before it's ready.
I think you are wrong like. The government may put a spin on it because they delayed the order and there are helicpoters going on next year without the aeroplanes.

I see Strong & Stable May was on board yesterday taking credit for it. Bit like the London Olympics...you couldnt get moved for Johnson and Cameron but it was Blair and Brown who made it happen pretty much like this ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back