HMP Durham - Channel 4 - 9 pm tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

All these shows pick up the most mouthiest, bellend "characters" and their dramas as it probably makes the most dramatic TV. I havent been in Durham but have been in 4 other Young Offenders/Prisons and it isnt always like that.

I would say the majority of prisoners do their time without too much drama. Yeah there will be scraps and a bit of aggro but when you have 1000 youngish men all held in the same place and locked away thats bound to happen. think of what its like in towns on Friday and Saturday night.

People who come in with/who want a reputation are obviously going to stand out and get themselves in bother but alot of the trouble comes from gangs and fighting on the outside. That and from drugs and building up debts inside.

You can stay away from most of the crap if you want and just get on with doing your time. Plenty do and plenty will. It isnt so much of a zoo as made out on these programmes and there are enough sound lads there too

A mate of my brothers went to Durham (IMSC) a few year back for a couple of months. His first time so got put with an old timer type. This fella played the guitar. My brothers mate had a reasonable voice and apparently they spent most of the time on the music :) He made it onto the x-factor auditions a year later :) :)

Probably because he wasn't allowed to shoot these fuckers he was in proximity to!

That was a factor

Cant believe the wages on offer. Could probably fill the shelves in asda for similar cash n far less shit!

I knew a senior man at a large prison (a major lads fan as it happens) and he used to say it was a good job for the right type of person.

Not sure that's the case now due to the new kind of prisoner they've got to deal with

Last edited:
Minimum wage is about £16,280 on a 40 hour week so at £18k for 40 hours you’re looking at about £8.65 an hour.
The pay has gone to hell ever since ‘fair and sustainable’ came out. Officers on the old contracts don’t want promotions because new SOs are now paid less than old contract officers for more responsibility. Fantastic, what could be better.

Fuck me thats shite for what they have to do and put up with
It’s not quite right.
New contracts are like this:-
OSG - 16-18k
Officer - 21-24k depending on hours
SO 26-28k
CM 28-32 ish
Not sure about governor grades.
Wage depends on working unsociable hours where there’s a 17% allowance. But the above is what it actually works out as.

It’s not quite right.
New contracts are like this:-
OSG - 16-18k
Officer - 21-24k depending on hours
SO 26-28k
CM 28-32 ish
Not sure about governor grades.
Wage depends on working unsociable hours where there’s a 17% allowance. But the above is what it actually works out as.

Aye but 21-24k is still shite for what they have to deal with and that’s after a few years of pay progression.

That was a factor

I knew a senior man at a large prison (a major lads fan as it happens) and he used to say it was a good job for the right type of person.

Not sure that's the case now due to the new kind of prisoner they've got to deal with

Good job for a smuggler

I know 2 screws that have jacked in the last 2 years

One was an ex army sniper and tough as old boots but couldn't stand it any longer

A good few screws are ex Army especially the older ones. A

Seemed ike there was more than average number of ex Army lads in prison either as screws or on the other side of the bars like me. Met one lad who had been in my unit in the Army. He was a screw though - strange having him bang me up.

well done lad. best wishes to you

when I was released from my last one, I volunteered to get involved in supporting recently released people and try to offer support and stop that 'revolving door' cycle. unfortunately, nothing came of it. maybe down to funding cuts etc.

as I've said before on similar threads. if you've alienated friends / family and any sort of positive support network, then there's a good chance you'll just revert back to old ways

did you finish off at kirk lev, or elsewhere?

great post

you steer clear of the bell ends, as you would do, out of the setting. let them crack on and you stick with those, of a similar mindset.

Agree with everything you said mate.

Was down south doing my sentence down south so ended up in Brixton nick. Not a bad place - they dont take lads directly from court and it is much more settled and calmer down to that and there are alot of schemes to prepare you for release.

How long since you got out? I'm out just over 2 years now.

Last edited:
A good few screws are ex Army especially the older ones. A

Seemed ike there was more than average number of ex Army lads in prison either as screws or on the other side of the bars like me. Met one lad who had been in my unit in the Army. He was a screw though - strange having him bang me up.

Agree with everything you said mate.

Was down south doing my sentence down south so ended up in Brixton nick. Not a bad place - they dont take lads directly from court and it is much more settled and calmer down to that and there are alot of schemes to prepare you for release.

How long since you got out? I'm out just over 2 years now.

keep on keepin on ;)

coming up to 5 years. fortunate that I had a really good support. what's left of my family, and friends. split up with the lass I was with, before my tag came off and friends put me up, until I could get my own place sorted. started selling a few records to put money in my pocket and not resort to the offers i'd been given when I was away and the contacts I could have used. started getting advice on opening my own business and cracked on, opening the record shop.

keep on keepin on ;)

coming up to 5 years. fortunate that I had a really good support. what's left of my family, and friends. split up with the lass I was with, before my tag came off and friends put me up, until I could get my own place sorted. started selling a few records to put money in my pocket and not resort to the offers i'd been given when I was away and the contacts I could have used. started getting advice on opening my own business and cracked on, opening the record shop.
Best of luck marra
I didn’t realise that records had enough appeal to open up a shop,
Hope its a huge success for you.

When their life is often that shit, jail can give them the security that their parents never did.

Loads of people prefer it inside. Gets them mental health treatment, gets them off the gear and gets a roof and bed for them. Some only commit crime in order to go back. More of low level crime like shoplifting.
High end crime and organised crime its seen as a risk of the job. Thats why these are most dangerous to deal with as if catching them during a job they will not think twice about sticking you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back