HMP Durham - Channel 4 - 9 pm tonight

keep on keepin on ;)

coming up to 5 years. fortunate that I had a really good support. what's left of my family, and friends. split up with the lass I was with, before my tag came off and friends put me up, until I could get my own place sorted. started selling a few records to put money in my pocket and not resort to the offers i'd been given when I was away and the contacts I could have used. started getting advice on opening my own business and cracked on, opening the record shop.

Good work marra.

well done lad. best wishes to you

when I was released from my last one, I volunteered to get involved in supporting recently released people and try to offer support and stop that 'revolving door' cycle. unfortunately, nothing came of it. maybe down to funding cuts etc.

as I've said before on similar threads. if you've alienated friends / family and any sort of positive support network, then there's a good chance you'll just revert back to old ways

did you finish off at kirk lev, or elsewhere?

great post

you steer clear of the bell ends, as you would do, out of the setting. let them crack on and you stick with those, of a similar mindset.

What did you do to get sent down?

Twice.

Tommy could be getting compo after all.

A prison governor has been ordered to undergo training after delivering two unlawful verdicts in jail adjudications that were watched by more than a million TV viewers.
The verdicts have been quashed and all adjudications the governor has made are to be reviewed. The governor also told a prisoner on camera that staff who felt threatened by inmates were “allowed to strike them”, in clear breach of prison rules on the use of force.

The adjudications were seen in the final episode of the Channel 4 documentary Prison, a three-part series about Durham prison, broadcast on 14 January. The episode focused on rising violence at the jail and was watched by 1.4 million people.

The head of the Prison and Probation Service admitted the governor’s failings in a written response to a complaint from a prisoners charity.

The final episode of Prison included details of an incident in which staff put an inmate on a basic regime and removed his television from his cell. The inmate, Tommy Calder, said staff attacked him as they took away his TV. A prison officer said Calder kicked him and he retaliated by punching him.

The incident was not filmed, but footage was shown of Calder being led away from his cell by nine prison officers. He was wearing only underpants and his face was badly marked, with one eye closed.

The incident resulted in an investigation into the prisoner’s allegations that he had been assaulted by staff and adjudication proceedings against him for alleged possession of a weapon and assault on a member of staff.

The governor found the prisoner guilty on both counts.
In relation to the first charge, she said: “You have given me no reason to doubt the word of the officer, so I find the charge proven.” In relation to the alleged assault, the governor said: “On the balance of probabilities, I find the charge proven.” Balance of probabilities is the burden of proof required in civil cases.

The prison service instruction 47/2011, dealing with adjudications, states: “The adjudicator will dismiss the charge if not satisfied that it has been proven beyond reasonable doubt.” Beyond reasonable double is the burden of proof required in criminal cases.
Calder asked the governor if she had seen pictures of his injuries. She replied: “The thing about the use of force is that it is not always nice and clean and tidy and sometimes when an officer feels threatened he is allowed to strike you and that is what the officer did.”

More information on the story in the link.

Prison service quashes governor's rulings seen in Channel 4 show

A prison governor has been ordered to undergo training after delivering two unlawful verdicts in jail adjudications that were watched by more than a million TV viewers.
The verdicts have been quashed and all adjudications the governor has made are to be reviewed. The governor also told a prisoner on camera that staff who felt threatened by inmates were “allowed to strike them”, in clear breach of prison rules on the use of force.

The adjudications were seen in the final episode of the Channel 4 documentary Prison, a three-part series about Durham prison, broadcast on 14 January. The episode focused on rising violence at the jail and was watched by 1.4 million people.

The head of the Prison and Probation Service admitted the governor’s failings in a written response to a complaint from a prisoners charity.

The final episode of Prison included details of an incident in which staff put an inmate on a basic regime and removed his television from his cell. The inmate, Tommy Calder, said staff attacked him as they took away his TV. A prison officer said Calder kicked him and he retaliated by punching him.

The incident was not filmed, but footage was shown of Calder being led away from his cell by nine prison officers. He was wearing only underpants and his face was badly marked, with one eye closed.

The incident resulted in an investigation into the prisoner’s allegations that he had been assaulted by staff and adjudication proceedings against him for alleged possession of a weapon and assault on a member of staff.

In relation to the first charge, she said: “You have given me no reason to doubt the word of the officer, so I find the charge proven.” In relation to the alleged assault, the governor said: “On the balance of probabilities, I find the charge proven.” Balance of probabilities is the burden of proof required in civil cases.

The prison service instruction 47/2011, dealing with adjudications, states: “The adjudicator will dismiss the charge if not satisfied that it has been proven beyond reasonable doubt.” Beyond reasonable double is the burden of proof required in criminal cases.
Calder asked the governor if she had seen pictures of his injuries. She replied: “The thing about the use of force is that it is not always nice and clean and tidy and sometimes when an officer feels threatened he is allowed to strike you and that is what the officer did.”

Ridiculous that.

Should have given the little rat two black eyes.

I honestly despair. Use of force to protect yourself when you honestly believe you are in danger is not just prison law it’s common law. If the use of force guidelines are being interpreted in a way that gives prison officers less rights in regards to self defence than the general public in the street then the house of cards crumbles.

How ridiculous. We even seen him on the show earlier bragging about having smuggled a knife back into his cell

The little Kant got what he deserved.
He was acting himself and got what was appropriate to subdue him and make him compliant so the screws could do their job.
Too many do- gooders about sticking their noses in on things they know fuck all about.

The little Kant got what he deserved.
He was acting himself and got what was appropriate to subdue him and make him compliant so the screws could do their job.
Too many do- gooders about sticking their noses in on things they know fuck all about.
That's pretty much what the Governor is saying but in a more subtle way.

Back