HMP Durham - Channel 4 - 9 pm tonight

Friend at works hubby was a prison officer just been medically retired after a bad attack by inmates...second such assault.

Not a job would / could do for any money :eek:

I know 2 screws that have jacked in the last 2 years

One was an ex army sniper and tough as old boots but couldn't stand it any longer

Why the hell would anyone want that job, realise it has to be someone, but dealing with scum everyday must be a nightmare.
Suppose if ya a big twat who can handle themselves it’s half the battle.

Adsolutely. That was exactly how it was for me after getting out before and especially if you have no family to go back to.

My last sentence was 4 years so served 2 and even after that I felt nervous about getting out. I had got transferred to be part of The Clink Restraunt scheme where prisoners work as waiters in places attached to the prison for rehabilitation and then we got a placement for work when we were getting released. That is a great thing to have and worked well for me but I also wanted to change as well.

The guy Troy who was getting out had been in for 5 years and was just let out the door to go back to his old place and old ways with nothing else. And from what people posted it didnt take him long to mess up. Not an excuse for him but just a fact

well done lad. best wishes to you

when I was released from my last one, I volunteered to get involved in supporting recently released people and try to offer support and stop that 'revolving door' cycle. unfortunately, nothing came of it. maybe down to funding cuts etc.

as I've said before on similar threads. if you've alienated friends / family and any sort of positive support network, then there's a good chance you'll just revert back to old ways

did you finish off at kirk lev, or elsewhere?

All these shows pick up the most mouthiest, bellend "characters" and their dramas as it probably makes the most dramatic TV. I havent been in Durham but have been in 4 other Young Offenders/Prisons and it isnt always like that.

I would say the majority of prisoners do their time without too much drama. Yeah there will be scraps and a bit of aggro but when you have 1000 youngish men all held in the same place and locked away thats bound to happen. think of what its like in towns on Friday and Saturday night.

People who come in with/who want a reputation are obviously going to stand out and get themselves in bother but alot of the trouble comes from gangs and fighting on the outside. That and from drugs and building up debts inside.

You can stay away from most of the crap if you want and just get on with doing your time. Plenty do and plenty will. It isnt so much of a zoo as made out on these programmes and there are enough sound lads there too

great post

you steer clear of the bell ends, as you would do, out of the setting. let them crack on and you stick with those, of a similar mindset.

Last edited:
The lack of education and the lack of social skills is hugely apparent in this program, if they were just a bit more intelligent and aware of how to interact with other humans, a large proportion of them probably wouldn't be in the mess they're in.

Why the hell would anyone want that job, realise it has to be someone, but dealing with scum everyday must be a nightmare.
Suppose if ya a big twat who can handle themselves it’s half the battle.

That guard Calder attacked was a big lad like, all about catching people off guard I suppose.

The lack of education and the lack of social skills is hugely apparent in this program, if they were just a bit more intelligent and aware of how to interact with other humans, a large proportion of them probably wouldn't be in the mess they're in.

This. You can tell they are all absolutely thick as fuck.

Back