Hjelde

We have paid around £2 million for him when it should have been spent on priority positions

left back is a priority position given the problems with Cirkin and Alese, it's hampered how we can play.

Even Huggins when there offered a little bit going forward but isn't great defensively and cuts inside all the time. Hume playing there has been crappie and its no coincidence output from right back improved when he moved back over.

The problem is the club have bought Hjelde as left back / centre half cover and he occasionally gives us a bit of balance but he's a kid who looks more suited to centre half, so at the moment it still doesn't really solve the problem.

What I would say is the 2nd half especially on Saturday he was getting no help from Clarke. At one point Birmingham were attacking down their right side and Clarke was just stood watching.

Hume is better filling in at LB.

The club seem obsessed with getting players in who can cover a number of positions. Problem with that is, that type of player tends to be adequate in covering roles, whist not being good enough to nail down an actual position.

2m seems a lot for a lad who will be down the pecking order once Cirkin and Alese are back

What I would say is the 2nd half especially on Saturday he was getting no help from Clarke. At one point Birmingham were attacking down their right side and Clarke was just stood watching.
But if Clarke is the wide attacker (not always a winger) that cover should also come from whoever is playing ahead of Neil be it Jobe or Ekwah.

We tried a version of 433 earlier in the season with Mowbray and we ended up dumping it as we got no width then either and we also left large gaps. Now it seems like 41221 without the ball and some kind of 433 with. Though I'm not actually sure as sometimes Ekwah even sits with Neil defensively.

At the moment I think players are given too many roles and they're not understanding of it. We've had the same thing going on the right too when Ba has started there and then he's moved him right up front, it left Seelt a few games back to provide attacking width (and a bit of help from Ekwah or recently Jobe defensively). When it works fine, but when players like Seelt are exposed to providing an attacking outlet or Hjede is isolated defensively- not so good.
Hume is better filling in at LB.

But then you don't have Hume as an attacking outlet on the right or balance on the left, which is a minus if its Seelt instead.

God knows about Pembele he looks a total bombscare.

Last edited:
But if Clarke is the wide attacker (not always a winger) that cover should also come from whoever is playing ahead of Neil be it Jobe or Ekwah.

We tried a version of 433 earlier in the season with Mowbray and we ended up dumping it as we got no width then either and we also left large gaps. Now it seems like 41221 without the ball and some kind of 433 with. Though I'm not actually sure as sometimes Ekwah even sits with Neil defensively.

At the moment I think players are given too many roles and they're not understanding of it. We've had the same thing going on the right too when Ba has started there and then he's moved him right up front, it left Seelt a few games back to provide attacking width (and a bit of help from Ekwah or recently Jobe defensively). When it works fine, but when players like Seelt are exposed to providing an attacking outlet or Hjede is isolated defensively- not so good.

But then you don't have Hume as an attacking outlet on the right or balance on the left, which is a minus if its Seelt instead.

God knows about Pembele he looks a total bombscare.

Pelembe needs game time as he's been out for a while. There were some reports of him being a talented lad before his injury. At least he's an actual RB. Hjelde doesn't look like he has the makings of a LB at all tbh.

Back