Help Losing Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

All this 'expend more calories than you consume' is pretty much nonsense.

You need to cut carbs down dramatically to have any effect on weight loss. There are 3500 calories in a pound of body weight, so to lose two pounds a week you would have to basically not eat for three days without exercise. If you factor exercise in also you still don't burn that many calories, not enough to really lose weight. Also, you can't determine where the weight will be lost from.

What also tends to happen is that if you do lots of exercise you feel hungry, and you tend to over-eat to compensate - you can't help it.

If you watch the amount of carbs you eat, limiting them to around 50 grammes a day you will lose weight without exercising because your body will start to burn your fat reserves for energy. If you keep eating carbs then your body can only do one of two things with it, turn it to sugar to fuel your exercise or turn it to fat if you don't exercise.

If you cut the carbs your body will go in search of fuel, and will discover your fat reserves and start chomping through those (until you start shovelling high quantities of carbs in again).

There's a book by Gary Taub called 'Why We Are Fat' that explains exactly how it all works, and the methodology behind it all.

You need to cut carbs down dramatically to have any effect on weight loss.
There are 3500 calories in a pound of body weight, so to lose two pounds a week you would have to basically not eat for three days without exercise. If you factor exercise in also you still don't burn that many calories, not enough to really lose weight. Also, you can't determine where the weight will be lost from.

What also tends to happen is that if you do lots of exercise you feel hungry, and you tend to over-eat to compensate - you can't help it.

If you watch the amount of carbs you eat, limiting them to around 50 grammes a day you will lose weight without exercising because your body will start to burn your fat reserves for energy. If you keep eating carbs then your body can only do one of two things with it, turn it to sugar to fuel your exercise or turn it to fat if you don't exercise.

If you cut the carbs your body will go in search of fuel, and will discover your fat reserves and start chomping through those (until you start shovelling high quantities of carbs in again).

There's a book by Gary Taub called 'Why We Are Fat' that explains exactly how it all works, and the methodology behind it all.
Nonsense to be fair. You could eat 2000 cals of lard but as long as you expel 2500 cals then you'll lose weight.

Nonsense to be fair. You could eat 2000 cals of lard but as long as you expel 2500 cals then you'll lose weight.

It's not nonsense - to be fair.

If you ate 2000 cals of lard there is no nutritional value in it. Also there are no carbs in lard, so if you ate 2000 cals of lard and expelled 2500 cals through exercise you would lose weight.

You would have to do a lot of exercise to burn 2500 calories. How far do you think you would have to run to burn 2500 calories?? People average around 120 PER MILE so you would have to run 25 miles on average. How far do you think you would have to cycle?? People average around 70 calories per mile, or about 35 miles. Last time I checked people don't tend to do those kind of distances each day to burn calories off.

It's not nonsense - to be fair.

If you ate 2000 cals of lard there is no nutritional value in it. Also there are no carbs in lard, so if you ate 2000 cals of lard and expelled 2500 cals through exercise you would lose weight.

You would have to do a lot of exercise to burn 2500 calories. How far do you think you would have to run to burn 2500 calories?? People average around 120 PER MILE so you would have to run 25 miles on average. How far do you think you would have to cycle?? People average around 70 calories per mile, or about 35 miles. Last time I checked people don't tend to do those kind of distances each day to burn calories off.
you do realise that you burn calories when not exercising also? I used lard as an example, not be to taken literally but the point still stands, eat as much white bread as you like, if you expel more energy than you take in you will lose weight.

Think about it rationally. If you use more energy than take in, where do you think your body gets the deficit from?

Last edited:
you do realise that you burn calories when not exercising also? I used lard as an example, not be to taken literally but the point still stands, eat as much white bread as you like, if you expel more energy than you take in you will lose weight.

Think about it rationally. If you use more energy than take in, where do you think your body gets the deficit from?
I'm with you on this like..just change your lifestyle, expend more calories than you eat..simple like

You need to cut carbs down dramatically to have any effect on weight loss. There are 3500 calories in a pound of body weight, so to lose two pounds a week you would have to basically not eat for three days without exercise. If you factor exercise in also you still don't burn that many calories, not enough to really lose weight. Also, you can't determine where the weight will be lost from.

So much fail.

You're telling people to consume 50g carbs a day? I consume over 300g and I'm at a good level of bodyfat.

Do you think I am stupid? I know how many calories are burnt when running, or cycling but I am silly enough to think that we don't expend calories when not exercising??

I tried to highlight how you can't expend more than you take in without a herculean type of effort, something you have glossed over.

NOBODY lives on one thing each day, so your point about eating white bread is not well thought out. The simple truth is the body does not really need carbohydrates to survive, whereas it does need fat and it does need protein and all of the other things we consume.

Refined flours and sugars, starchy foods are what cause us to put weight on if we eat too much of them. To maintain a healthy weight around 180g of carbs can be consumed without much problem. Considering that in your bowl of cereal (even bran flakes) it is 65% carbs, so if you have 50g portion you will have consumed 37g carbs and that's without the milk! Then say have a sandwich for lunch, each slice of bread around 17g of carbs and maybe an apple (22g carbs) or a banana (23g carbs) and we haven't even thought about a little snack, biscuits with your cuppa, chocolate bar or kit-kat. No evening meal in there either. The fact is that we consume too many carbohydrates and our body can't process it all. For top athletes they recommend between 30-60g of carbs to be consumed per hours exercise. You need the extra energy to refuel your muscles and prevent muscle damage, but these are people with a typically low bodyfat percentage already so they cannot rely on pulling energy from their fat reserves.

People go on 'diets' and as soon as they have reached their goals they start eating what they want again and what happens? They put the weight back on because fundamentally they were and are eating the wrong things....

So much fail.

You're telling people to consume 50g carbs a day? I consume over 300g and I'm at a good level of bodyfat.

I don't remember telling anyone to do anything to be honest.

I am happy for you that you consume over 300g of carbs and you have a good level of bodyfat, that's great for you, but not great for everybody.

I'm back to my strict diet again, just walked past the vending machine at work at popped a quid in. Temptation didn't get the better of me though as I vended a nice cold can of Britvic concentrated orange juice. :cool:

Do you think I am stupid? I know how many calories are burnt when running, or cycling but I am silly enough to think that we don't expend calories when not exercising??

I tried to highlight how you can't expend more than you take in without a herculean type of effort, something you have glossed over.

NOBODY lives on one thing each day, so your point about eating white bread is not well thought out.
The simple truth is the body does not really need carbohydrates to survive, whereas it does need fat and it does need protein and all of the other things we consume.

Refined flours and sugars, starchy foods are what cause us to put weight on if we eat too much of them. To maintain a healthy weight around 180g of carbs can be consumed without much problem. Considering that in your bowl of cereal (even bran flakes) it is 65% carbs, so if you have 50g portion you will have consumed 37g carbs and that's without the milk! Then say have a sandwich for lunch, each slice of bread around 17g of carbs and maybe an apple (22g carbs) or a banana (23g carbs) and we haven't even thought about a little snack, biscuits with your cuppa, chocolate bar or kit-kat. No evening meal in there either. The fact is that we consume too many carbohydrates and our body can't process it all. For top athletes they recommend between 30-60g of carbs to be consumed per hours exercise. You need the extra energy to refuel your muscles and prevent muscle damage, but these are people with a typically low bodyfat percentage already so they cannot rely on pulling energy from their fat reserves.

People go on 'diets' and as soon as they have reached their goals they start eating what they want again and what happens? They put the weight back on because fundamentally they were and are eating the wrong things....

i stop reading here.

1.You're doing a pretty good job of making it seem that way.
2.How do you think millions of people everyday lose weight?
3.It was a very basic, very simple example which you've failed to grasp.

Didn't bother reading the rest of the post as I'm in no doubt its twaddle.

I don't remember telling anyone to do anything to be honest.

I am happy for you that you consume over 300g of carbs and you have a good level of bodyfat, that's great for you, but not great for everybody.

Well recommending 50g of carbs?

You don't need to go on some kind of ketosis diet to reduce bodyfat.

Yeah, but it's fat. Fat becomes fat on your body. Carbs become...carbs on your body. And if you eat protein it turns to muscle.

Also, eating brains makes you cleverer. FACT.

i stop reading here.

1.You're doing a pretty good job of making it seem that way.
2.How do you think millions of people everyday lose weight?
3.It was a very basic, very simple example which you've failed to grasp.

Didn't bother reading the rest of the post as I'm in no doubt its twaddle.

1. Not at all, perhaps you didn't read because you can't comprehend?

2. So, millions of people every day lose weight, yet the percentage of obese and morbidly obese people continues to rise month on month year on year?

3. You don't seem to be able to grasp the amount of effort needed to exercise calories off every day.

It's pointless arguing the toss with you because you want to have it your way and that's what's important to you.

Yeah, but it's fat. Fat becomes fat on your body. Carbs become...carbs on your body. And if you eat protein it turns to muscle.

Also, eating brains makes you cleverer. FACT.
:lol::lol:

this is exactly why we need a health and fitness sub-forum with some decent input and stickies from posters who know what they're on about.

Well recommending 50g of carbs?

You don't need to go on some kind of ketosis diet to reduce bodyfat.

Did I recommend anything? Here's what I put:

Do I say anywhere that this is what you should do?? Have I told anyone to go and do this?

this is exactly why we need a health and fitness sub-forum with some decent input and stickies from posters who know what they're on about.

kinda rules both of us out from posting then.....

What you need is to develop a way of running actually with your belly. Else these lads are always going to have the spare tyre.

Their pins will be gorgeous, like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back