Heart disease - Stents

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a common theme of being fit means nowt - I know several people in their 90s who have never taken exercise seriously along with two super fit lads in their 30s who died of heart attacks whilst out on a run.
They do say though the ones who tend to survive heart attacks are the fit ones, obviously that goes against what you have experienced mate

There seems to be a common theme of being fit means nowt - I know several people in their 90s who have never taken exercise seriously along with two super fit lads in their 30s who died of heart attacks whilst out on a run.
My dad - mentioned earlier in this thread - had a really bad heart attack. An artery shaped like a Y near his heart was blocked right on the connection of the arteries. He was resuscitated five times and had five stents in. Apparently only 5% of people who get this problem survive, or thereabouts. He's a bricklayer and has worked hard, physically demanding roles all his life; they told him that he would be dead if not for his level of fitness/heart fitness - I forget the exact term they used. There's no guarantee either way, but I'd much prefer to take my chances whilst staying in the 'fit' bracket.
Bit of an update. In short, I'm not fully fixed and had a couple of hospital visits, one including some blue lights.
Not really much further forward other than taking more drugs. I'm pretty bored of the whole thing now as I imagine most other people are.
Hope things turn out well for you in the long run, mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad - mentioned earlier in this thread - had a really bad heart attack. An artery shaped like a Y near his heart was blocked right on the connection of the arteries. He was resuscitated five times and had five stents in. Apparently only 5% of people who get this problem survive, or thereabouts. He's a bricklayer and has worked hard, physically demanding roles all his life; they told him that he would be dead if not for his level of fitness/heart fitness - I forget the exact term they used. There's no guarantee either way, but I'd much prefer to take my chances whilst staying in the 'fit' bracket.
When I was in for the last angiography, everyone around me seemed to have multiple issues, quite a few related to lifestyle choices. One person was so fat that they couldn't get a pulse and they were going to have to cancel the procedure.
At least being reasonably fit should help your chances a bit.

I was training for half marathon, not drinking, non smoker and healthiest I’d been for years when I had first signs of it.
Put two clem on whilst waiting to get sorted.
They even describe me as a long distance runner on my notes.😂
Can happen at any time.
thats scary....how bad were the pains before you got sorted and how do you know it's not age related aches and pains

thats scary....how bad were the pains before you got sorted and how do you know it's not age related aches and pains
You don't. If they persist you've got to be clever enough to go and get checked. My dad's came on from nowhere. Drove down to Watford, had dinner with us, had heart attack. Bolt from the blue.

Reactions: JJH
Not bad which was part of the problem, the cardiologist wasn't convinced there was anything wrong. Pain is all relative I suppose but I'd consider myself soft as clarts usually so not some hard case who can't feel pain.
The best way I can describe it is feeling like gravel is flowing through my heart. It's not massively panful but I shouldn't be able to feel my heart working.
I write most stuff off to age and there were probably loads of signs I ignored before it came to a head.

Last edited:
You don't. If they persist you've got to be clever enough to go and get checked. My dad's came on from nowhere. Drove down to Watford, had dinner with us, had heart attack. Bolt from the blue.
Went last year as had a few aches and pains...remember having an ecg which showed normal. Have high blood pressure so need to cut down on salt etc and drink but according to doctor google I'm only about 4 lbs over my BMI.
Old age I hope.
Not bad which was part of the problem, the cardiologist wasn't convinced there was anything wrong. Pain is a relative I suppose but I'd consider myself soft as clarts usually so not some hard case who can't feel pain.
The best way I can describe it is feeling like gravel is flowing through my heart. It's not massively panful but I shouldn't be able to feel my heart working.
I write most stuff off to age and there were probably loads of signs I ignored before it came to a head.
Know what you mean. At 52 I'm starting to feel stress more which I never everdid . Need to change direction and get a bit fitter.
Hopefully things will sort itself out for you.

Last edited:
I’m the proud owner of a stent, procedure was amazing, one of the lads who went in before me videoed some of it and took photos of the before and after screen shots they show you.
The worrying part is waiting to go into theatre, if a stent is not suitable, it’s back to the ward for another option, at some point in the future.
Thankfully mine was sorted there and then collapsed LAD , long stent inserted.
Back to the ward to get the plastic sleeve removed and it’s “ get yaself home youngun”.

Doctor’s told me my chest pains were not heart related, so I decided to walk into A&E upon a heart attack was diagnosed.
If in doubt don’t fuck about, go to A&E with chest pains, it saved me without a doubt.

I’m the proud owner of a stent, procedure was amazing, one of the lads who went in before me videoed some of it and took photos of the before and after screen shots they show you.
The worrying part is waiting to go into theatre, if a stent is not suitable, it’s back to the ward for another option, at some point in the future.
Thankfully mine was sorted there and then collapsed LAD , long stent inserted.
Back to the ward to get the plastic sleeve removed and it’s “ get yaself home youngun”.

Doctor’s told me my chest pains were not heart related, so I decided to walk into A&E upon a heart attack was diagnosed.
If in doubt don’t fuck about, go to A&E with chest pains, it saved me without a doubt.
It is an amazingly simple procedure. Admittedly I was kept in overnight but I was fascinated by how straightforward it all was.

It is an amazingly simple procedure. Admittedly I was kept in overnight but I was fascinated by how straightforward it all was.

What was also very good is the recovery methods from a heart attack at a gym.
Believe the old way was to sit and rest for weeks or months.
Now it get up off ya arse and move about.
Supported by medical and fitness staff they build your confidence up and get you going.
Critically warming up, opening the vessels and warming down.
And education on eating and exercise.

From having a heart attack and a stent fitted, around 12 weeks later I was doing short shuttle runs.
This support for me was as amazing as the operation, my confidence was battered.
Tablets for life, but I’m still here to take them thankfully as the LAD artery is normally a killer.

After the blood clots in the heart about three years back I had couple put in as well. Two different kinds, one that stays put and then a new kind that disolves within a year. When I went back in for checks six months later the second one was almost gone already and completely gone at the second check after a year. You are spot on with getting up straight away. I simply walked to the bed after, unaided. Didn't keep me there overnight but I wasn't allowed to be on my own the first twenty-four hours. But it was an interesting experience, for lack of better words, and I had all sorts of questions throughout. I loved how I could follow it all on the screens. Asked if I could get a screen shot and got a before and after shot which am still considering entering an art gallery, they are beutiful. Especially the coloured one, could be an album cover. I put them up on FB. :lol:

The bad news is I am now a heart patient and have to take (down to four now) tablets for the heart each day the rest of my life. With my health in recent years I didn't much needed that on top but hey at least my arse works. And if you weren't already you are now also entitled to free flu jabs. Get them.

The hardest part for me each time they went up (I had it done through the groin) was the worrying thought of what would happen if the tiny plucket thingy burst open. I had bad dreams of bleeding to death in the shower and I was extremely careful walking the stairs for weeks after, too. Likewise the first time I had a tug after each time. Those thoughts got less and less but still took me quite a while to overcome. And then after each six months I could begin all over again.

Anyway, best of wishes. Please don't overdo things the next couple weeks. If you have any questions about anything feel free to pop me a PM. Take care.

I ran 5 miles the day after I got discharged :lol:

Supported by medical and fitness staff they build your confidence up and get you going.

From having a heart attack and a stent fitted, around 12 weeks later I was doing short shuttle runs.
This support for me was as amazing as the operation, my confidence was battered.
Tablets for life, but I’m still here to take them thankfully as the LAD artery is normally a killer.
I concur with all of this, I rolled up at hospital as I felt a bit shit and was getting worse pretty quickly. It turned out that I had a clot in my LAD. Such a blockage is known as 'The Widowmaker' in the USA.

I've always been terrible at that, even before my heart problems.

I concur with all of this, I rolled up at hospital as I felt a bit shit and was getting worse pretty quickly. It turned out that I had a clot in my LAD. Such a blockage is known as 'The Widowmaker' in the USA.

That's where my blockage was. 90% blocked it was. Consultant said I was only alive because I'd been so fit and my body had made new capillaries around the blockage.

That's where my blockage was. 90% blocked it was. Consultant said I was only alive because I'd been so fit and my body had made new capillaries around the blockage.
Is that the one I mentioned my dad had earlier? Around some sort of Y connection on the left (I think) side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back