Heart disease - Stents

I got 3 in. 2 immediately following a heart attack, similar procedure to you, then a 3rd planned one a month later. Day trip to hossie, in and out same day, conscious throughout with the surgeon asking if I wanted to watch it on the big screen. I didn't but sneaked occasional peeks.

The rush when they pop the balloon and you feel the blood flowing around again is indescribable.

Superb procedure, and like you I have a barely visible little scarlet on my right wrist. Thankfully I have good veins so they didn't have to go in through my groin.

Yep, one of those metal ones. I was one of those oddball people who had a heart attack and didn't realise it. I was waiting at the bus stop on a wet, freezing cold winter's day, yet I could feel myself perspiring and pins and needles in my arm and a tight chest.

Still caught the bus and went into work. It was only when walking home, when both sides of my jaw began to freeze up, that I thought something was up. Even then I just asked for an appointment at the doc's. Luckily there was a cancellation so I saw them that day.

The doc took one look at me and then arranged for an ambulance and gave me some spray you put under the tongue for angina sufferers. Even then I thought he was just covering all bases.

Had an angiogram and they said my left ventricle was 90% blocked and needed a stent. When they went to fit it, a metal one, I kind of knew it wasn't going well when the surgeon shouted "Jesus Christ." Turned out the ventricle was completely blocked and I could've dropped dead at any time over the past few months. :eek:

The worst bit about the op was having to shave my groin area when they decided it couldn't go via my wrist. Best bit was one of the nurses in the operating theatre. I've never seen someone suit short hair as much as her. She would've made Pink jealous. And also about my age so I felt no guilt in ogling and trying to chat her up.

I got 3 in. 2 immediately following a heart attack, similar procedure to you, then a 3rd planned one a month later. Day trip to hossie, in and out same day, conscious throughout with the surgeon asking if I wanted to watch it on the big screen. I didn't but sneaked occasional peeks.

The rush when they pop the balloon and you feel the blood flowing around again is indescribable.

Superb procedure, and like you I have a barely visible little scarlet on my right wrist. Thankfully I have good veins so they didn't have to go in through my groin.
Oooooooooo look at me!!!! I've got good veins,, :rolleyes: f***ing pathetic it is lad.

Oooooooooo look at me!!!! I've got good veins,, :rolleyes: f***ing pathetic it is lad.
:lol: I'd rather have my veins than the owld bloke who they were trying to get a blood test from in the bed opposite. The nurse was crap and was butchering the poor sod till a senior nurse came up and found his vein in seconds.

My dad had five after his recent heart attack. Up and about and easing himself back into work three months on. He was minutes away from death back in August. Don't make them like that any more.

If anyone's interested they're class for when you're actually having a heart attack or unstable angina but there's a real danger in doing them for stable coronary artery disease as they show no benefit over medical therapy and can have severe complications.

"even stenting a 90% stenosed artery for stable angina does not prevent heart attacks or prolong life"

Thats the spirit mate. We don't want them counting any chickens. ;)

I just remembered a minor detail on my stent insertion. I also had a mini-stroke on the operating table. :eek:

I could feel pins and needles in my tongue and my mind was sort of blurring. It took all of my remaining conscious effort to tell them this.

Apparently it's neither common or unusual. It's when the blood flow is altered, and apparently my stent was banging and bouncing around the arteries and that when it was being put into place. No long term side effects from the mini-stroke.

Home in one piece apart from bruised and bloody wrist where they made the incision. Going for a kip now.
Take it easy and just do what you can during your recuperation. If you need a kip in the afternoon make sure that you do it. I had a stent inserted as the result of a heart attack about five years ago. The artery which was affected in my case is known as the 'Widow Maker' by the Yanks. Dramatic fuckers them lot.

If anyone's interested they're class for when you're actually having a heart attack or unstable angina but there's a real danger in doing them for stable coronary artery disease as they show no benefit over medical therapy and can have severe complications.

"even stenting a 90% stenosed artery for stable angina does not prevent heart attacks or prolong life"

Fuck me, life and bastard soul this one

😉

So how are you feeling today?
Had a good sleep which was impossible in hospital. Wrist is a bit battered from where they made the incision and the band they used to stop the bleeding afterwards.
Looking forward to my first shower this afternoon. :lol: Have to wait 48 hours from op so feel like a stinking tramp.
Probably have a dodge out to drop the doctor's letter off after that and see how I feel but overall I'm champion considering what they've done.
Logon or register to see this image

Back