Heart disease - Stents

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm amazed they can do that and have you out so quickly.

But any way, Oooh look at me, i've got stents. Pathetic.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Haven`t seen that in a while. Welcome back to an SMB favourite :lol:
No, little incision in my wrist and feed wire up through there to my heart.
Blow up balloon to widen blocked artery and then fit stent.
Probably took no more than 90 minutes for initial investigation, discussion and fitting of two stents.
Did you feel anything?? Was it uncomfortable?

Last edited:
That`s good. My mother is in hospital waiting to get hers done.
Absolutely nowt to worry about. I didn't even have to change into a gown or anything, just in jeans and t shirt. They explain everything really well and some things that are a little odd like the x ray machine almost touching your face are expected so you don't worry about it.
They give you a cuppa and a sarnie straight afterwards as well.
Tell her to nip to the toilet beforehand though. ;)

I had one put in in August (coronary artery through the wrist). Two further attempts failed due to calcification so I'm now waiting for a by-pass operation which will be a little more dramatic!

Absolutely nowt to worry about. I didn't even have to change into a gown or anything, just in jeans and t shirt. They explain everything really well and some things that are a little odd like the x ray machine almost touching your face are expected so you don't worry about it.
They give you a cuppa and a sarnie straight afterwards as well.
Tell her to nip to the toilet beforehand though. ;)
She`s had a triple heart by-pass a few years ago so it was more me being worried about her going through something big like that again. She`s just brushed it off as just one of those things and doesn`t seem worried at all. It`s me that`s doing the worrying. She`s made of stiffer stuff than me. Good tip about the toilet though. I`ll make sure I pass that one.

I had one put in in August (coronary artery through the wrist). Two further attempts failed due to calcification so I'm now waiting for a by-pass operation which will be a little more dramatic!
Good luck. Must have been frustrating when it didn't work. How long do you have to wait? Assuming by your username that you're not up here?

Had a good sleep which was impossible in hospital. Wrist is a bit battered from where they made the incision and the band they used to stop the bleeding afterwards.
Looking forward to my first shower this afternoon. :lol: Have to wait 48 hours from op so feel like a stinking tramp.
Probably have a dodge out to drop the doctor's letter off after that and see how I feel but overall I'm champion considering what they've done.
Logon or register to see this image

Good news that mate. If I get time I'll drop you a Justin Beiber magazine off to help with your recuperation. ;)

Good luck. Must have been frustrating when it didn't work. How long do you have to wait? Assuming by your username that you're not up here?
Thanks for the good wishes. It was frustrating. It would have been nice to get it sorted without invasive surgery but it is what it is as Chris Colman would have said. So far it's been about a month and I have an appointment next wee
k with the surgeon so expecting the op to be in about a fortnight. I'm in France.

As it happens today is the first anniversary of my double bypass job. Obviously it's a significant trauma for your body but the recovery is a process that you deal with, and you end up in good shape again but with a really impressive scar :cool:
However, you need to think about why that calcification was there, what caused the coronary artery disease to progress in the firs place. This is the issue that is not being discussed on this thread. Re-vascularisation is technically amazing and all well and good but if you don't eliminate what was causing the problem in the first place then the CAD & atherosclerosis will continue and in a few years time you will be back where you started. It's not unusual for surgeons to have to saw open the same breastbone they did a few years earlier. I think it's something like 70% of coronary artery bypass grafts block up again in 5-7 years. I'm trying to make sure I'm one of the other 30%.

I was training for half marathon, not drinking, non smoker and healthiest I’d been for years when I had first signs of it.
Put two clem on whilst waiting to get sorted.
They even describe me as a long distance runner on my notes.😂
Can happen at any time.

Glad to hear that you are sorted. Out of interest how did you know it was needed? Presumably you were lucky that you didn't drop dead first.

Glad to hear that you are sorted. Out of interest how did you know it was needed? Presumably you were lucky that you didn't drop dead first.
Relieved to see the consultant answered 'no' against 'patient died in hospital' on my discharge letter. :lol:
Long story but was training for Sunderland Half Marathon and went on an eight mile run and only got about 500 yards before feeling unwell. Saw doctor who thought it was angina and sent me to cardiologist but he wasn't convinced and sent me for CT scan to get rid of me. That didn't show much but enough to refer me for CT angiogram. That took months but when I had that, they booked me in for 'invasive' angiogram straight away. That was on Monday and they still only planned to have a look and see if the angiogram results were correct but once they were in there, they decided to take action.
Looking at the results, I have dodged a bullet.
I haven't had massive chest pains as such but I knocked exercise on the head in March so it's been a case of some breathlessness when walking and the occasional bit of pain that's been managed with Aspirin and GTN spray.

As it happens today is the first anniversary of my double bypass job. Obviously it's a significant trauma for your body but the recovery is a process that you deal with, and you end up in good shape again but with a really impressive scar :cool:
However, you need to think about why that calcification was there, what caused the coronary artery disease to progress in the firs place. This is the issue that is not being discussed on this thread. Re-vascularisation is technically amazing and all well and good but if you don't eliminate what was causing the problem in the first place then the CAD & atherosclerosis will continue and in a few years time you will be back where you started. It's not unusual for surgeons to have to saw open the same breastbone they did a few years earlier. I think it's something like 70% of coronary artery bypass grafts block up again in 5-7 years. I'm trying to make sure I'm one of the other 30%.

I see your double bypass and raise you an additional aortic valve replacement. Had this done 3 December last year and now feel so much better. I didn't smoke, wasn't very overweight, ate plenty of freshly cooked food and was in the gym several times a week - although my performance was diminishing - which was my clue to my heart problems.

Following my operation, I was back in the gym within 4 months and now do about 7 or eight sessions a week, including two spinning classes where I out-perform the youngsters in the class. I am also on meds for life which are a bind, but a necessary bind. They told me that my issues were probably congenital; however, it has given me a new zest for life and I am using the time to enjoy myself. the operation I had was shown live on a Channel 5 programme (called Operation Live) and I watched it two days before going under the surgery..... whilst my missus hid behind the sofa....

Missed this earlier. You're spot on about cutting out the cause even if the consultant called it 'cholesterol and whatnot' yesterday.:lol:
My diet, weight, exercise habits etc had all changed before this happened but I suspect it is more of a legacy thing. Going to keep a closer eye on what I'm eating but if I can get back to where I was exercise wise etc, I don't expect a reoccurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back