Head Lice

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it as a brand on the prescription the pharmacy will always tell you you can go somewhere else or take the generic. Patients will always opt for the generic to save the time but in some cases brain disorders/injury like mine the generic medication can make symptoms worse, I’m sure if the technicians advised people of this they might think twice.
Also I remember when the nhs were paying pharmacists to review medication. All the pharmacies just got a locus in twice a week and rattled 20 or 30 reviews off in a day like cattle. I seen elderly patients told “the pharmacist NEEDS a word with you”
Not illegal but I found it off putting, and a missed chance for the regular pharmacist to have a more active role in our well being.
As this practice gone back to the gp?

everybody is well aware that some medicines of the same ilk can cause symptoms of something else.

take statins for example, some type cause coughing others cause weakness in arms.

It is common sense that the medication bill needs to be reduced but I have found that doctors and pharmacy's will always work to get the right meds for you.
if for example you inform the pharmacy and doctor that you find that brand x works really and causes no side effects but brands a,b,c etc do have side effects so therefore you only want brand x.

pharmacists are regularly working in doctors surgeries these days. that allows doctors to meet patients and not reviewing medications for cost / health implications.

if a pharmacist is rattling off 20 / 30 in a day, what are they doing for the next 4 hours.

My dad has regular medication reviews with his pharmacy, they’ll never change his medication or dose, more a check that it’s actually getting used.

They’ve prescribed Aspirin for god knows how long now despite him saying they aren’t needed. Well, they are needed he just doesn’t take them. (just a small point its the doctors who prescribe, chemists dispense on the orders of the doctor)

When he was doing it online it would only let him order when his dose was due to run out which was good.

Now he gets nomad boxes he gets his weekly dose to the door. Very little waste.

Most ‘over prescribing’ will be the result of patients not taking their prescribed dose, IMO.

certainly with my doctors it is the same. they wont allow you to order before 7 days of running out.

cant agree more re the over prescribing.

Last edited:

everybody is well aware that some medicines of the same ilk can cause symptoms of something else.

take statins for example, some type cause coughing others cause weakness in arms.

It is common sense that the medication bill needs to be reduced but I have found that doctors and pharmacy's will always work to get the right meds for you.
if for example you inform the pharmacy and doctor that you find that brand x works really and causes no side effects but brands a,b,c etc do have side effects so therefore you only want brand x.

pharmacists are regularly working in doctors surgeries these days. that allows doctors to meet patients and not reviewing medications for cost / health implications.

if a pharmacist is rattling off 20 / 30 in a day, what are they doing for the next 4 hours.

certainly with my doctors it is the same. they wont allow you to order before 7 days of running out.

cant agree more re the over prescribing.
It’s a catch 22 situation TBF, doctor prescribed as he ‘needs’ it to thin his blood and to help prevent another stroke but he just doesn’t take them.

Doctor would be negligent to not prescribe and pharmacy would be negligent to not dispense. My dad is the fool for not taking them.

Unless of course the pharmacy deliberately mislead the patient when reviewing their medicine or put unnecessary repeat requests through, knowing they'll get paid for it.

this could be true for the smaller independents and where there is money there is always somebody looking for easy access to it.

independents are getting fewer and fewer. a lot of chemists that appear a local independent are actually owned by larger companies, so therefore it is off no financial gain to the shop.
in the chemists I have worked in, unless somebody is ordered that is their job, they don't have time to sit down and go through files to establish who and what they can prescribe to rip of nhs.

people ask for a repeat prescription of all their meds instead of what they need. they get in on a monthly basis and the residue builds up.

yes sometimes pharmacists and dispensers make mistakes. when you see the amount of medication that is dispensed, they work incredibly continually hard.

add in the need for recording the movement (and non movement) of controlled drugs.

they are also in charge of the shop and staff and responsible for the smooth flow

It is not an easy job
I know I nearly did it.

It’s a catch 22 situation TBF, doctor prescribed as he ‘needs’ it to thin his blood and to help prevent another stroke but he just doesn’t take them.

Doctor would be negligent to not prescribe and pharmacy would be negligent to not dispense. My dad is the fool for not taking them.

I have been taking aspirin for the past 25 years for the same issue.

as for your Dad not taking them, aspirin needs to be taken after food. if not repeated use causes a pain in the belly and lead to other issues.

I have been taking aspirin for the past 25 years for the same issue.

as for your Dad not taking them, aspirin needs to be taken after food. if not repeated use causes a pain in the belly and lead to other issues.
Yeah, he feels he’s taking enough medication already. Nightmare but not much I can do to make him take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back