Head Lice

If you work in a pharmacy I will debate it if not I decline to comment.
My friend is a pharmacist, is that good enough for you. Also spot a photo entry in the photo competition from a couple of years ago regarding waste ( it isn't the pharmacies that are guilty!)

full

This was just one month's returned medication of UNTOUCHED medication returned to the pharmacy. Either prescribed unnecessarily , or ordered and not used by the patient. Can't blame the pharmacy for this waste.

Last edited:
My friend is a pharmacist, is that good enough for you. Also spot a photo entry in the photo competition from a couple of years ago regarding waste ( it isn't the pharmacies that are guilty!)

full

This was just one month's returned medication of UNTOUCHED medication returned to the pharmacy. Either prescribed unnecessarily , or ordered and not used by the patient. Can't blame the pharmacy for this waste.
How would returned medication be a waste? That picture seems American to me tbh, I maybe be wrong but they seem labelled the USA way. There would also be marks where the name of the patients would have been removed.
Also one of the drugs is not available on the nhs in the pic. The other drugs in the picture are not taken as a course, only when needed. Laxative and asthmatic drugs maybe out of date but still need replacing.
Anyway is your friend a local pharmacist just so you can ask them if I’m talking shit if we discuss the matter?

How would returned medication be a waste? That picture seems American to me tbh, I maybe be wrong but they seem labelled the USA way. There would also be marks where the name of the patients would have been removed.
Also one of the drugs is not available on the nhs in the pic. The other drugs in the picture are not taken as a course, only when needed. Laxative and asthmatic drugs maybe out of date but still need replacing.
Anyway is your friend a local pharmacist just so you can ask them if I’m talking shit if we discuss the matter?
I took that picture.
Data sensitive information has to be removed.
That all went in the dupe bin ( waste).
All that medicine was returned and has to be destroyed.
Which is the drug not available on the nhs?

How would returned medication be a waste? ?
They have to be thrown away.

The Department of Health (DH) however, states that medicines returned to pharmacies cannot be reissued to other patients. ... Some medicines are sensitive to heat, light or moisture and canbecome less effective if not stored properly.

Last edited:
I took that picture.
Data sensitive information has to be removed.
That all went in the dupe bin ( waste).
All that medicine was returned and has to be destroyed.
Which is the drug not available on the nhs?

They have to be thrown away.

The Department of Health (DH) however, states that medicines returned to pharmacies cannot be reissued to other patients. ... Some medicines are sensitive to heat, light or moisture and canbecome less effective if not stored properly.
I know it had to be thrown away but like I said if an inhaler goes out of date it should not be used as you have stated. It should be handed back and disposed of correctly or you don’t need all the laxatives prescribed. Or do you think just because it’s been prescribed it should be used? Or a doctor should know how many asthma attacks you will have in a month?
It’s not a dig personally but there is always gonna be unneeded drugs that still need prescribing. Also deaths of patients. I’m sure care homes return a lot of unused drugs.
I’ve never seen a script for the nasal rinse tbh. Maybe they give you them in hospital I’m not sure. So are you the pharmacist? Il know you if you are.

The pharmacys are biggest culprits.

the pharmacy can only dispense what is on the prescription

I know it had to be thrown away but like I said if an inhaler goes out of date it should not be used as you have stated. It should be handed back and disposed of correctly or you don’t need all the laxatives prescribed. Or do you think just because it’s been prescribed it should be used? Or a doctor should know how many asthma attacks you will have in a month?
It’s not a dig personally but there is always gonna be unneeded drugs that still need prescribing. Also deaths of patients. I’m sure care homes return a lot of unused drugs.
I’ve never seen a script for the nasal rinse tbh. Maybe they give you them in hospital I’m not sure. So are you the pharmacist? Il know you if you are.

I work as a delivery driver and ive seen the waste that gets returned to the chemists. If an odd tube here or there that can easily be explained. However packets of the same medication is months of prescribed medication unnecessarily being ordered. you also don't need an inhaler in every room, just in case.

Last edited:
the pharmacy can only dispense what is on the prescription

I work as a delivery driver and ive seen the waste that gets returned to the chemists. If an odd tube here or there that can easily be explained. However packets of the same medication is months of prescribed medication unnecessarily being ordered. you also don't need an inhaler in every room, just in case.
Why would you dispense months of the same medication to someone? Saying that I know the daughter gets 6 month of the pill.

Your wrong about the pharmacy can only dispense what’s on the prescription as well mate, that’s my burning issue with pharmacists.
They are supposed to but they don’t always do that do they?

Why would you dispense months of the same medication to someone? Saying that I know the daughter gets 6 month of the pill.

Your wrong about the pharmacy can only dispense what’s on the prescription as well mate, that’s my burning issue with pharmacists.
What do they do differently then?

Generic medication instead of stated brands for one.
If a prescription is written with a brand on it they have to give the brand. (Doctors are more likely these days to write prescriptions generically).

If it is written generically then they can give a generic or a brand, but if the brand costs a lot more they would be foolish to give the brand as they will only get paid for the generic.

full

Unless of course the pharmacy deliberately mislead the patient when reviewing their medicine or put unnecessary repeat requests through, knowing they'll get paid for it.

Unless of course the pharmacy deliberately mislead the patient when reviewing their medicine or put unnecessary repeat requests through, knowing they'll get paid for it.
So how would the pharmacist mislead the patient when reviewing the medication. Tell them that they must ask their doctor to prescribe say, Keppra ( expensive brand) instead of the far cheaper levetiracetam ( generic).

Down here patients have to request their own medication, only certain patients can have their meds requested by the pharmacy. This is partly to reduce unnecessary prescribing. If surgeries had more time they would monitor this better too ie not issue a prescription for something that is not due.

If a prescription is written with a brand on it they have to give the brand. (Doctors are more likely these days to write prescriptions generically).

If it is written generically then they can give a generic or a brand, but if the brand costs a lot more they would be foolish to give the brand as they will only get paid for the generic.
If it as a brand on the prescription the pharmacy will always tell you you can go somewhere else or take the generic. Patients will always opt for the generic to save the time but in some cases brain disorders/injury like mine the generic medication can make symptoms worse, I’m sure if the technicians advised people of this they might think twice.
Also I remember when the nhs were paying pharmacists to review medication. All the pharmacies just got a locus in twice a week and rattled 20 or 30 reviews off in a day like cattle. I seen elderly patients told “the pharmacist NEEDS a word with you”
Not illegal but I found it off putting, and a missed chance for the regular pharmacist to have a more active role in our well being.
As this practice gone back to the gp?

If it as a brand on the prescription the pharmacy will always tell you you can go somewhere else or take the generic. Patients will always opt for the generic to save the time
This is so obviously not true.

If
Also I remember when the nhs were paying pharmacists to review medication. All the pharmacies just got a locus in twice a week and rattled 20 or 30 reviews off in a day like cattle. I seen elderly patients told “the pharmacist NEEDS a word with you”
Not illegal but I found it off putting, and a missed chance for the regular pharmacist to have a more active role in our well being.
Maybe some pharmacists do this I wouldn't know. But many take their MURs seriously. Some are a waste of money, some are beneficial. It is target led which isn't always the best thing IMO. Coming to an end September this year iirc .

Last edited:
This is so obviously not true.
Well I’ve ALWAYS been told this every month every time for 5 year. Got to the point where I told the dr to prescribe me the generic as no one ever had the brand in.
There was a case up here where a pharmacy was charging the nhs for oxygen for people who had passed away 2 year previous. Lost his business through it.
I believe most pharmacy’s are honest but one or two rogue ones can hammer the nhs.

There was a case up here where a pharmacy was charging the nhs for oxygen for people who had passed away 2 year previous. Lost his business through it.

Most pharmacies won't be doing dishonest things then if that is the outcome!

Many pharmacists will be on a salary and have absolutely nothing to gain from any kind of shenanigans and will want to maintain their professional integrity.

Most pharmacies won't be doing dishonest things then if that is the outcome!

Many pharmacists will be on a salary and have absolutely nothing to gain from any kind of shenanigans and will want to maintain their professional integrity.
I think it’s more likely to be shop owner/pharmacists. I’m sure locums or salary pharmacists would shop them up.

people ask for a repeat prescription of all their meds instead of what they need. they get in on a monthly basis and the residue builds up.

yes sometimes pharmacists and dispensers make mistakes. when you see the amount of medication that is dispensed, they work incredibly continually hard.

add in the need for recording the movement (and non movement) of controlled drugs.

they are also in charge of the shop and staff and responsible for the smooth flow

It is not an easy job

My dad has regular medication reviews with his pharmacy, they’ll never change his medication or dose, more a check that it’s actually getting used.

They’ve prescribed Aspirin for god knows how long now despite him saying they aren’t needed. Well, they are needed he just doesn’t take them.

When he was doing it online it would only let him order when his dose was due to run out which was good.

Now he gets nomad boxes he gets his weekly dose to the door. Very little waste.

Most ‘over prescribing’ will be the result of patients not taking their prescribed dose, IMO.

Back