Hays Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

I tried the same thing last year and that told me that quoted me £3k more and said I'd have to fly from Manchester.

I'm guessing they simply don't sell TUI fights.

Hays must be getting more right than they are wrong - they are not going to beat every price; must be plenty of customers who are getting a good deal or Hays would not have been around for 40 odd years. I think the lad knows what he is doing. Talking to someone at work and he said him and his missus had been online from 6pm until midnight trying to sort out flights, hotel etc (loads of arguing) and he wished he had just walked into somewhere like Hays and paid them to sort it all out. 3k sounds a lot but without knowing the details can't comment. I know when TC went under the holiday prices went mental and if there were no seats out of NCL maybe Hays could only offer you Manchester.

Hays must be getting more right than they are wrong - they are not going to beat every price; must be plenty of customers who are getting a good deal or Hays would not have been around for 40 odd years. I think the lad knows what he is doing. Talking to someone at work and he said him and his missus had been online from 6pm until midnight trying to sort out flights, hotel etc (loads of arguing) and he wished he had just walked into somewhere like Hays and paid them to sort it all out. 3k sounds a lot but without knowing the details can't comment. I know when TC went under the holiday prices went mental and if there were no seats out of NCL maybe Hays could only offer you Manchester.
The most logical conclusion is

a) TUI only sell flight only directly and
b) They couldn't sell me a package at TUI doesn't book 5 people to a room at the resort I wanted.

So aye, it wasn't your average request. They were a nice bunch of lasses though and called me to see if they for help a few days later.

Good management usually filters down so my view is that John Hayes manages his staff well. He's also a git big MLF.

Last edited:
remodel it, problem solved!
Remodel what? The concept of high street stores? They taken 500+ leases on, that will drain money in weeks.

Remodel the whole business, that’ll also drain it too.

I sincerely hope it works out but there’s a lack of detail in the articles I’ve seen.

Remodel what? The concept of high street stores? They taken 500+ leases on, that will drain money in weeks.

Remodel the whole business, that’ll also drain it too.

I sincerely hope it works out but there’s a lack of detail in the articles I’ve seen.
He’s managed to buy the stores at a fraction of the price, there’s an agreement for 6 months for each shop to give him time to renegotiate leases with landlords.

Guess it all depends on how much he’s paid for the stores as to how much of a gamble it is. He takes on new staff, if things don’t go to plan over that 6 months, he sacks them off and makes the staff redundant. Writes the money off. Dent in the years profits.

Although it could come across as a big expensive publicity stunt, I’m sure he’s worked out how much of a gamble.

He’s like the Mackem Mike Ashley!

Just when you think the travel agency model is dead, Hays seem to show there is a place in the market for an agent that treats staff well and has a loyal customer base.

Hope it works and it’s great that it’s based here.

I think it's admirable but very high risk. Part of the reason Thomas Cook went under was far too much attention to the high street.

I would imagine that the owner of a travel firm big enough to buy Thomas Cook knars what he is doing though he may need to pop into the SMB for advice from time to time.

But that ones been there when theres been one in the town for years. If anything it'll be the TC shop in the bridges that wont remain.

Be interesting to see what happens but I can’t imagine the business model longer term will sustain 3 within 3 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back