Hays Travel

I’d have thought there’d be some taking on of debt to finance a move this big. Staff wages, shop refits, re-branding etc.

Fingers crossed it works out for them though. I suppose they could always open a little Sports Direct franchise in the corner of the shops to flog a bit of leisure sportswear for folks bopping off on their hollibobs.
funnily enough that’s not exactly a million miles away from how Hays started. He had a desk in his mams children’s clothes shop in Church St in Seaham flogging coach trips. All grew from there.

Seems like complete publicity, no way they can keep so many shops open with so many staff.

Most of which are likely to be barely a few doors down in a street to other Hays Travel shops.

Went to Metrocentre today which now has 3 Hays (2 Thomas Cook and one Original Hays)

queue was out of the door at Hays but the two Thomas Cook were empty, they’d only reopened yesterday and had no IT or equipment, just a few friendly lasses directing you to Hays shop. seemed mental they had paid staff to essentially sit there and do nothing...imagine this was repeated up and down the country.

Then when we walked back around to Hays, the lass in there said they’d never been busier. It’s been a fantastic And probably cheap PR move considering rates etc. He’ll probably close the two thomas cook shops in the metro and keep just his but the pr they’ve got is priceless.

funnily enough that’s not exactly a million miles away from how Hays started. He had a desk in his mams children’s clothes shop in Church St in Seaham flogging coach trips. All grew from there.
And his missus was Chief Exec of Sunderland Council and held other high profile Civil Servant roles. Must’ve helped.

Seems like complete publicity, no way they can keep so many shops open with so many staff.

Most of which are likely to be barely a few doors down in a street to other Hays Travel shops.

The article on the BBC suggested that thered only be about 30 shops in that situation. A lot of Hays shops are currently in smaller places like Peterlee who didnt have a TC shop.

I hate to say it but I think ultimately this will be the case.

The article on the BBC suggested that thered only be about 30 shops in that situation. A lot of Hays shops are currently in smaller places like Peterlee who didnt have a TC shop.

I live near Consett and they have reopened the one here and it's 2 doors down from Hays, surely it can't stay open.

I live near Consett and they have reopened the one here and it's 2 doors down from Hays, surely it can't stay open.

That probably wont & will be one of the 30 odd. Many of the NE TC shops (or the near by Hays shop) probably will close. But theres a lot of country where Hays doesnt have a presence.

think you’ve misread it. It refers to their lead property lawyers husband being a Newcastle fan.

On a side note, is Hays Credit still going? Used to be run by Johns brother, Malcolm?
Not sure whether Hays Credit is still going. My Mam used to work as a part-time collector for them but she retired around 1999.

Can anyone else remember the old advert?

Hays Travel! Nobody offers you more OOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Followed by some travel gubbins

In Northern Ireland at the minute, the Thomas Cook in Cookstown is now a Hays Travel. Our lass's dad walked me halfway down the road to show me it this afternoon cos he'd heard the HQ was in Sunderland :lol:

Back