Hays Travel

I think it's admirable but very high risk. Part of the reason Thomas Cook went under was far too much attention to the high street.
Really?
I'd have thought the cost of shops and staffing them would be miniscule compared to the cost in running and paying for their 34 aircraft and the leesing of the other 70

But this is great for Sunderland.
Turning Hayes into a pretty big company.
Loads more jobs in the city centre.
Gan on Hays lad

Last edited:
I think it's admirable but very high risk. Part of the reason Thomas Cook went under was far too much attention to the high street.

Its a huge move by Hays, but they already have a couple of hundred high street stores so they aren’t going into this blind.

I believe TCs operating business was profitable, it was just their level of debt which crippled them.

Last edited:
Really?
I'd have thought the cost of shops and staffing them would be miniscule compared to the cost in running and paying for their 34 aircraft and the leesing of the other 70

But this is great for Sunderland.
Turning Hayes into a pretty big company.
Loads more jobs in the city centre.
Gan on Hays lad

Sure the airline part of the business was profitable

I don't think he'll be buying them, more like taking over the leases of the shops.

Saying that, employing 2500 staff is the big gamble and making it pay sooner rather than later will be the key.

The fact that TC were closing branches left right and centre showed the move to internet based holidays is the growth market and days of
the high street shop were numbered.
I know some people like to do down to the travel agent and talk to someone face to face but in the last few years I've found that the
local shops weren't able to offer anything more than a friendly face as opposed to real savings.

I'm going to miss TC, it was an occasion to pop down on a Saturday and book up a holiday, especially when you had a history with them.

I hope that Hayes will be able to make a success of it as they are free from the airlines, hotels and huge staff that brought down TC.

Hopefully much more business and a larger Sunderland based HQ is built and employs more local people.

Back