Has the pandemic been overblown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmfd

Winger
Looking at the current state of affairs worldwide and what we've seen in person - is this virus less of a danger (to the majority of us) than we initially thought?

Some figures/food for thought:

• Death rate by age group in Massachusetts
Logon or register to see this image

(https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-dashboard-may-6-2020/download)

• Rate of hospitalisation is now estimated to be 102.5 per 100,000 infections, or 1% of cases require hospitalisation.
  • (CDC, updated weekly)

Gupta's theory makes perfect sense to me, however governments around the world have had to work on the "worst case scenario" basis. To not do so would have been damaging. That said, I think we should follow this kind of lead now. The data is there to support it

Difficult to say especially as the pandemic is far from over. You can certainly make a case for say people under 40 with no underlying health conditions being allowed to carry on with their lives, of course they would need to be isolated from vulnerable groups, which is easier said than done. Perhaps informing people of the risks and let them make their own decisions is also an option. In our village there is an old widower must be well over 80, bump into him quite often, as his life now is just walking round the streets hoping to bump into someone to talk to. Told me several times that lives just not worth living, wife dead, family living away, and friends all socially isolating. Reckon he will be first in the pub when it opens. Can see his point of view, cannot have many years left so why should he be denied a bit of quality time at the end of his life?

My biggest concern about the virus for me is not death (although you never know), it’s potential long term side effects (which are not really known). But I’ve hated lockdown and support a return nearer to normality.

Side effects of what, your body fighting it?

This is why it's important to look at the excess deaths statistics. They blow this theory out of the water I'm afraid.
Im not saying its not killing people before they would have died otherwise. But the human life these days is in many cases being prolonged, far beyond the point where they have any quality of life. My aunt is in a care home and her routine for the last few years has been pissing herself in the bed by night and pissing herself in her chair by day. It is a moral issue but I dont think we can keep screwing peoples futures to save people who are near the end anyway. Those younger who are deemed at risk should shield, but stop locking the rest of us down. Part of the reason for my view is I dont think a vaccine is coming to save us, if I believed it was I might think about lockdown differently.

Last edited:
Difficult to say especially as the pandemic is far from over. You can certainly make a case for say people under 40 with no underlying health conditions being allowed to carry on with their lives, of course they would need to be isolated from vulnerable groups, which is easier said than done. Perhaps informing people of the risks and let them make their own decisions is also an option. In our village there is an old widower must be well over 80, bump into him quite often, as his life now is just walking round the streets hoping to bump into someone to talk to. Told me several times that lives just not worth living, wife dead, family living away, and friends all socially isolating. Reckon he will be first in the pub when it opens. Can see his point of view, cannot have many years left so why should he be denied a bit of quality time at the end of his life?

My Grandma is the same. 89 years old, she says she could die tomorrow of any number of things, so she doesn't want to spend her final years stuck in the house (which she has for the last 3 months). Hard to argue against to be honest.

If the virus affected my age group 20 -40, like the Spanish Flu did, at least we'd be able to isolate from it knowing that we still have the rest of our lives to enjoy when its over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back