Has the pandemic been overblown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It does but if it's killing very old, frail people a little earlier then there will no doubt be a negative figure in the future if it's brought under control in some way.
Time will tell on that. That's a good example of the "too soon to draw those conclusions" which the government has relied on for global comparisons when we've looked worse than other countries.

Then lockdown locally relative to how busy the hospital is.
total lockdown appears to be taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It is/was however the easiest option for the government regarding implementation and maintaining. Im not sure we have the resources to both implement and police multiple local lockdowns, just look at the goverments performance thus far...theyre f***ing useless

No it hasn’t been overblown at all and is still present. Look to countries that have lifted lockdown whilst not having the virus under control - US, Israel, Iran .....they’re experiencing more cases now than first time round and hospitals are becoming overwhelmed. The death rate is impossible to estimate accurately, as is the hospitalisation rate. I want some kind of normality back but if we underestimate this (again) we’ll be right back to where we were in March

The region of Catalonia has ordered this Saturday, July 4, the confinement of an area comprising some 200,000 inhabitants, around Lerida in the northeast of Spain, due to the multiplication of cases of contagion of the new coronavirus.
Still about

My Grandma is the same. 89 years old, she says she could die tomorrow of any number of things, so she doesn't want to spend her final years stuck in the house (which she has for the last 3 months). Hard to argue against to be honest.

If the virus affected my age group 20 -40, like the Spanish Flu did, at least we'd be able to isolate from it knowing that we still have the rest of our lives to enjoy when its over
I’m 80 next year so vulnerable and whilst I accept death is just around the corner I’m not frightened of that BUT based on on what I’ve seen on tv I don’t want to go the way that COVID19 takes u

What do the medical experts say? And those 'experts' without any bias or attempting to create social media fame to push the privatisation of the NHS?

I'll listen to them rather than knackers on social media attempting to quantify some numbers with how bored they are.

So to sum up, I have no idea.

It's easy to claim that the infection rate being low means there's been an overreaction, but that totally ignores the fact it's low because no one has been anywhere for three months.
Entire country on lockdown "see this here virus is shite, we never needed lockdown" before lockdown "we gotta build extra hospitals for the patients"

Yes if you don’t care about elderly relatives at all.
To be fair, most of the older people I've spoken to, including my 75-year old mother, are desperate to get back to normality.

Their attitude seems to be that they may not have that much time left and they don't want to spend it 'locked away' from friends and relatives.

Most of the more vocal advocates of continuing lockdown seem to be younger people who are either desperate to show they care or who have f@@ked their bodies so much during their lives by living a sedentary lifestyle that they are now terrified to cross their doors.

Looking at the current state of affairs worldwide and what we've seen in person - is this virus less of a danger (to the majority of us) than we initially thought?

Some figures/food for thought:

• Death rate by age group in Massachusetts
Logon or register to see this image

(https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-dashboard-may-6-2020/download)

• Rate of hospitalisation is now estimated to be 102.5 per 100,000 infections, or 1% of cases require hospitalisation.
  • (CDC, updated weekly)
It’s fair to say you’ve been fairly selective in the points you’ve included in your post.

I'd be inclined to say so but with a huge caveat, namely the hypothetical consequence had we 'carried on as normal' for the last few months. We'll never know but can you imagine the numbers affected if there had been no measures in place to stem the spread of the virus.

I do think the virus appears to be far less contagious than it was believed to be at the start. Nearly every 'spike' prediction has failed to come to fruition.

Didn't they say before it proper hit us that 20,000 deaths would be a good result?
And that 500,000 would be the worst case.

They later downgraded this to 200,000 iirc.

They will have been informed of what is deemed an 'acceptable' number - this will not be made public as it could cause panic and meltdowns on boards like this.

It's like in wartime where military operations are planned - they have numbers projected and as long as they aren't exceeded, the operation is deemed 'successful'. Still means large numbers of people have died though.

And that 500,000 would be the worst case.

They later downgraded this to 200,000 iirc.

They will have been informed of what is deemed an 'acceptable' number - this will not be made public as it could cause panic and meltdowns on boards like this.

It's like in wartime where military operations are planned - they have numbers projected and as long as they aren't exceeded, the operation is deemed 'successful'. Still means large numbers of people have died though.
Would 500,000 not have been the worst result if we didn't go into lockdown and carried on as normal?

The reason it's not kicked off as much as we were warned is because we took measures to prevent it surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back