Handed My Notice In

Status
Not open for further replies.
The intention is to be away 9-12 months depending on funds, health and enjoyment (can't see the last being a problem but you never know!!)

Budget is around £20k. We're not slumming it by any means but the only criteria for accommodation that I was given by she who must be obeyed was that it had to have a private bathroom which meant no hostels. That said there are some cheap apartments out there (paying as little as £14/night in Croatia!)

We have planned it and have a basic itinerary but the beauty is that we can rip it up if we want to do something different
That seems very reasonable for what you're doing, you got any sort of itinerary I could borrow:lol:

:lol: just interested in how you'd plan something like this yourself & work out what you're likey to spend, I've been to most of the areas you've mentioned but either holidaying or working
For the European trip we have a list of places that we (mainly me!) want to see. So starting at home I planned a trip taking in as much as I can and then I went onto the Michelin website and worked out the mileage for each stage of the journey. It also gives you the toll costs (though there's an option to go toll free) and you can enter your car details and it will give you the approximate fuel costs.

For the longer haul stuff, Skyscanner or Roundtheworldflights can do multi-city flights; for example we are doing London-Singapore-Hong Kong-Wellington-Sydney-London for around £1000 each economy. Booking internal flights in Oz is easy to do and we'll hire a car in NZ.

The USA/Canada trip is a work in progress!

For accommodation it's a mix of Expedia/Booking.com/tourist information sites/Air BnB but always looking for the cheapest option (subject to reviews) that has that all important private bathroom. As I said, we have apartments in Croatia costing as little as £14/night

For the European trip we have a list of places that we (mainly me!) want to see. So starting at home I planned a trip taking in as much as I can and then I went onto the Michelin website and worked out the mileage for each stage of the journey. It also gives you the toll costs (though there's an option to go toll free) and you can enter your car details and it will give you the approximate fuel costs.

For the longer haul stuff, Skyscanner or Roundtheworldflights can do multi-city flights; for example we are doing London-Singapore-Hong Kong-Wellington-Sydney-London for around £1000 each economy. Booking internal flights in Oz is easy to do and we'll hire a car in NZ.

The USA/Canada trip is a work in progress!

For accommodation it's a mix of Expedia/Booking.com/tourist information sites/Air BnB but always looking for the cheapest option (subject to reviews) that has that all important private bathroom. As I said, we have apartments in Croatia costing as little as £14/night
Sounds fantastic mate, well done for having the balls to do it, most people haven't, enjoy every minute & make sure you find a bar with the lads on:lol:

As the title says; I've handed in my notice and I finish at the end of February 2018.

Off travelling with the wife (no) from April next year

Great sense of relief and elation at having done it

91 days to go!!!

Sounds Great, enjoy yourself, always wanted to see the world myself but haven't at the good fortune yet to do it.

your journey plan sounds very interesting, what are you mostly focused on going to see, as in famous building and places ?

Well done mate, have a great time.
Cheers mate. What's made you move back?

Sounds Great, enjoy yourself, always wanted to see the world myself but haven't at the good fortune yet to do it.

your journey plan sounds very interesting, what are you mostly focused on going to see, as in famous building and places ?
A mix of things...we love Croatia so going to spend a fair bit of time there, Italian cities for the history, coastal resorts for relaxation but keeping it flexible so if we find somewhere we really like we spend more time there. If we get somewhere and don't like it then move on.

Last edited:
Cheers mate. What's made you move back?

A mix of things...we love Croatia so going to spend a fair bit of time there, Italian cities for the history, coastal resorts for relaxation but keeping it flexible so if we find somewhere we really like we spend more time there. If we get somewhere and don't like it then move on.
Not really moved back, I’m still in Germany but we have a base to go to. MRS GJ has taken a job in Catterick and, hopefully, I’ll be moving back within the next few months. We are forced to move back because of the Army moving all of the troops back by 2019.

Not really moved back, I’m still in Germany but we have a base to go to. MRS GJ has taken a job in Catterick and, hopefully, I’ll be moving back within the next few months. We are forced to move back because of the Army moving all of the troops back by 2019.
Give me a shout if you are near the Paderborn/Gütersloh area of Germany on your travels.

Last edited:

Give me a shout if you are near the Paderborn/Gütersloh area of Germany on your travels.
Gotcha.

Will do...we can be flexible so can detour

Good for you mate
Me and the wife moved to the Highlands in the summer
Tomorrow is my last day of gardening leave and I plan on spending the rest of the winter watching wildlife

Good luck with your trip

Life really is too short

This is a reply to @---Nemo--- too

First stage is driving around Europe for a few months

The 2nd stage is Singapore/Hong/Kong/Australia & New Zealand

Last leg is USA/Canada the aim to come back from New York to Southampton on the Queen Mary 2

That's one thing I'm confident of...no regrets!!

Not trying to be negative but do you like cold weather? You're setting off travelling in Europe in late winter / early spring. Going down under in their winter and off to the States around Autumn time :)

I would have a rejig myself but good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back