Halifax account holders losing interest

Imagine getting annoyed because someone wants you to address them as they see themselves. If you’re called Frank and someone called you Clive, you’d want to correct them. If you see yourself as they, as a person and they referred to you as he, then you’d have the same want to correct them. It’s just respecting someone for how they see themselves, nowt to withdraw your money out of a bank for 😬

Last edited:

Imagine getting annoyed because someone wants you to address them as they see themselves. If you’re called Frank and someone called you Clive, you’d want to correct them. If you see yourself as they, as a person and they referred to you as he, then you’d have the same want to correct them. It’s just respecting someone for how they see themselves, nowt to withdraw your money out of a bank for 😬
Making your staff inform customers of their gender just seems a bit mental.

"Hi I'm Dave and I'm a male, how can I help?"

Oddballs.

Oddballs.
I mean when you go in a bank you don’t refer to the staff by their gender anyway..’can i cash this cheque Miss’..doesn’t happen ‘can i cash this cheque please’..’thank you’..and you’re away..utter bollocks.

Oddballs.
It’s to show to support to those who do care though, surely? If it means nothing to you, then you’d just ignore it like people would ignore that your name was Dave most of the time. Some people would prefer to know your name so they can refer to that when speaking to or of you. Some people would respect their pronoun and their wishes to how they’d prefer to be referenced.

Not sure why the drama.

Personal opinion. I think the bank handled this particularly badly, if the intent was to somehow educate customers and staff on the impact misgendering has had (have customers or staff complained, if so how many, how widespread is it?).
If it was just to make a point then they certainly did that.

I rarely use pronouns when talking to or about someone directly (I'll use 'their' name) and i don't know anyone either at work or socially who uses or stipulates any particular pronoun. it wouldn't be a big deal if they did

how do you collectively refer to people in a group who individually stipulate different pronouns?

I rarely use pronouns when talking to or about someone directly (I'll use 'their' name)
So at your work a conversation might go…

“Hi, Elder, do you know where Dave is? I’ve been looking for Dave since I spoke to Dave about Dave’s party”

“Yeah, Dave is in Sue’s office. Sue asked Dave if Dave could clarify to Sue some figures in Dave’s report about Dave’s department."

And at no point would you replace their names with he/him/his/she/her etc. It sounds like a very odd way to speak.

So at your work a conversation might go…

“Hi, Elder, do you know where Dave is? I’ve been looking for Dave since I spoke to Dave about Dave’s party”

“Yeah, Dave is in Sue’s office. Sue asked Dave if Dave could clarify to Sue some figures in Dave’s report about Dave’s department."

And at no point would you replace their names with he/him/his/she/her etc. It sounds like a very odd way to speak.

:lol:

nope, when talking to someone i use their name, i don't have a conversion with someone using pronouns when referring to each other, who does? it's like talking about yourself in the 3rd person. the closest i get is using "you".

no one I know has specified a different pronoun to their sex. if I don't know the person we're having a conversation about (like someone new or in an interview) i will use "they" just to be on the safe side, but that is rare.
as far as i'm aware (and i work in a very inclusive environment) i've never misgendered anyone.

:lol:

nope, when talking to someone i use their name, i don't have a conversion with someone using pronouns when referring to each other, who does? it's like talking about yourself in the 3rd person. the closest i get is using "you".
I'm saying that if, e.g., two people are talking about a third, once their name has been mentioned once it would be very weird to keep referring to them by name. Normal conversation is littered with gender-specific pronouns.

"You know Steve from accounts?"

"Yeah."

"Steve's got a new car."

"What? Has Steve sold Steve's Mercedes?"

"Aye. Steve's sold Steve's Mercedes and bought Steve a Porsche."

OR

"Yeah."

"He's got a new car."

"What? Has he sold his Mercedes?"

"Aye. He's sold his Mercedes and bought himself a Porsche."

Last edited:
I'm saying that if, e.g., two people are talking about a third, once their name has been mentioned once it would be very weird to keep referring to them by name. Normal conversation is littered with gender-specific pronouns.

"Yeah."

"Steve's got a new car."

"What? Has Steve sold Steve's Mercedes?"

"Aye. Steve's sold Steve's Mercedes and bought Steve a Porsche."

OR

"Yeah."

"He's got a new car."

"What? Has he sold his Mercedes?"

"Aye. He's sold his Mercedes and bought himself a Porsche."

sure, but isn't the main issue misgendering someone using pronouns when talking to them and not about them? i don't speak to people like that, who does?

"Hey Steve (from accounts)"

"Hey elder."

"Is that a new car?"

"Yes, I sold the Mercedes?"

"Right, and you bought a Porsche. we pay you too much Lol"

sure, but isn't the main issue misgendering someone using pronouns when talking to them and not about them? i don't speak to people like that, who does?

"Hey Steve (from accounts)"
"Hey elder."

"Is that a new car?"

"Yes, I sold the Mercedes?"

"Right, and you bought a Porsche. we pay you too much Lol"
Don't think you can misgender someone using pronouns when talking to them, as those pronouns (you/your/yours) are all gender neutral, unless you quote what you think someone might have said when talking about them.

The only pronouns under discussion are the third person ones. It was when you said "I rarely use pronouns when talking to or about someone directly...", I just thought it would take quite a feat of linguistic dexterity to converse normally and rarely use he/him/his/she/her/hers.

Don't think you can misgender someone using pronouns when talking to them, as those pronouns (you/your/yours) are all gender neutral, unless you quote what you think someone might have said when talking about them.

The only pronouns under discussion are the third person ones. It was when you said "I rarely use pronouns when talking to or about someone directly...", I just thought it would take quite a feat of linguistic dexterity to converse normally and rarely use he/him/his/she/her/hers.

of course you can... "guys" - which i don't use anymore if i don't know who i'm referring to.

like i mentioned it use "they" if i'm unsure.

Imagine seething over that :lol:

Wonder what Howard makes of it all.
The matter is trivial in itself and not something I'm going to be upset over.

What gender or sexuality someone wants to be identified is none of my business. I'm neutral on the issue though the pronouns being added does seem a little silly and pointless to me.

It's a pretty boring issue over name badges, which in themselves seem pointless.

Telling people to effectively "Foxtrot Oscar" over questioning it? Yup, I can see how that's going to lose business. A bank is there to provide a service and it is not part of that service to be told where to go.

So fine, if you don't want my business, I'll take it elsewhere to where its wanted.

Halifax needs to be reminded that it would not exist if it wasn't for another, larger bank. In 2009, it was on its way out of existence before the Lloyd's takeover of HBOS.

Last edited:

Back