Hales and Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should be available to play until he’s formally charged. Whole thing is ridiculous.

I believe he should be reinstated now. At first, I did feel FTECB were right to suspend him, but it's gone on so long that it's now a case of innocent until proven guilty IMO.

For people in jobs where the charge could mean safeguarding is an issue or there's a conflict of interest then fine, but the thing hanging over Stokes makes no difference whatsoever to him doing his job.

If this has gone to the CPS it means that it is looking more likely that he will face a date in court, this not going to be before the end of the year, so we can stop thinking about him playing in the Ashes.

I believe he should be reinstated now. At first, I did feel FTECB were right to suspend him, but it's gone on so long that it's now a case of innocent until proven guilty IMO.

For people in jobs where the charge could mean safeguarding is an issue or there's a conflict of interest then fine, but the thing hanging over Stokes makes no difference whatsoever to him doing his job.
Rightly or wrongly, he’s also a role model. I don’t think the ECB have had much choice

Rightly or wrongly, he’s also a role model. I don’t think the ECB have had much choice
I've never liked this argument. It goes against natural justice. You're basically saying Stokes should be punished harder than the average bloke in the street because he's a personality. I don't think that's right. Punish him according to the criteria that would be used for any other person.

As far as the any ECB sanction go, he's already been punished by an effective ban for several matches. That's enough for me.

If this has gone to the CPS it means that it is looking more likely that he will face a date in court, this not going to be before the end of the year, so we can stop thinking about him playing in the Ashes.

Doesn't like, it's just the process.

As good as a player as he is, he isn’t a combination of Don Bradman and Malcolm Marshall. I think people get a bit carried a way that he would single handed change the result

He's the 3rd best bat and the 2nd/3rd best bowler in the team, he's the most important player in the team.

Last edited:
I've never liked this argument. It goes against natural justice. You're basically saying Stokes should be punished harder than the average bloke in the street because he's a personality. I don't think that's right. Punish him according to the criteria that would be used for any other person.

As far as the any ECB sanction go, he's already been punished by an effective ban for several matches. That's enough for me.
It’s a suspension on full pay. It happens in plenty of circumstances

It’s happened to a Worcester player just this week

As much of a fan of Stokes I am if no charges are brought then this rule of thumb should be applied in case law for the average man on the street.....

I'll take that.

Would be delighted if a sizeable chunk of the country starts defending me online next time I bray someone and clearly break the law.

Exactly. Not a f***ing clue what @Jose Sandshoe was on about.

Ignore Brandon, was meant as a stand alone post but somehow I replied to yours. Done it on my phone while at work hence the confusion (fecking useless with technology). Was in no way comparing the two, was just pointing out that he'd been done without starting another thread.

Mind Stokes must still fancy his chances of getting the call up if he's taken the steps of leaving the family and flying to NZ? Can't see it happening myself like but somebody somewhere must know something, especially behind closed doors etc.

But if the police don't think there is a case they can decide not to send it to the CPS

Only in extremely minor cases, nothing at all like this one. In every case where the potential charge would be assault/GBH/ABH it would be passed to the CPS, it's not the job of the police to decide.

Doesn't work that way OT, certain offences/charges must go to the CPS for a decision.

Plus, many cases go to the CPS, only for them to decide not to take it further.

Not saying he's in the clear, just pointing out how the system works.

I think people get a bit carried a way that he would single handed change the result

Christ, do you actually dislike the bloke? Throughout this thread you've took the anti-Stokes view with regard to the moral and criminal aspects - that's completely fair enough, but to now try and play down his quality as a player, I can't understand it.

He's the best allrounder we've had since Botham, streets ahead of Flintoff, he would get into the side on his batting alone (or his bowling alone for that matter), so people want him in the side. It really isn't getting carried away at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't like, it's just the process.

He's the 3rd best bat and the 2nd/3rd best bowler in the team, he's the most important player in the team.
I posted his stats over the past couple of years a few months back. Its 40 odd with the bat and 27 with the ball !!

Doesn't work that way OT, certain offences/charges must go to the CPS for a decision.

Plus, many cases go to the CPS, only for them to decide not to take it further.

Not saying he's in the clear, just pointing out how the system works.

Christ, do you actually dislike the bloke? Throughout this thread you've took the anti-Stokes view with regard to the moral and criminal aspects - that's completely fair enough, but to now try and play down his quality as a player, I can't understand it.

He's the best allrounder we've had since Botham, streets ahead of Flintoff, he would get into the side on his batting alone (or his bowling alone for that matter), so people want him in the side. It really isn't getting carried away at all.
Not at all.

I think he is a super cricketer. But I don’t think

A) being a cricketer changes what he does off the field
B) is the greatest cricketer who has ever lived

Not at all.

I think he is a super cricketer. But I don’t think

A) being a cricketer changes what he does off the field
B) is the greatest cricketer who has ever lived

Who has said that A and/or B are true? Nobody.

You did however say that he's a role model and that implies to me that you do think A applies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back