Hales and Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck are the police playing at? Detective in charge MUST be an Aussie :rolleyes:

What's Shiv Thakor sexually assaulting someone got to do with the post you quoted?

Though neither are acceptable, there is a big difference between windmilling someone and sexual assault...

Surely that means they think he has done something to warrant a prosecution ?
I'm thinking it's more likely the ECB now know what the Police decision is, hence Stokes is off to NZ to "acclimatise" until the CPS make their decision, which is likely to concur with the Police. So, assuming it's not prosecution Stokes is only a very few hours from Oz and ready to join in the Ashes.

There's over a 1000 posts on this, all of which I haven't read, so apologies if it's already been mentioned but for the CPS to prosecute Stokes, as well as needing sufficient evidence to provide a "realistic prospect of conviction" (meaning the magistrates will be more likely than not to convict) it must also be in the public interest. To use the analogy of something happening at work. I know someone who stole money (£400) from a client, the matter was reported to the police and the guy was sacked. The police later said it wasn't in the public interest to prosecute because of the action of his employers and the fact the money was returned.

I'm thinking if it wasn't for Stokes's status and the imminent Ashes, the ECB would have issued their sanction by now which would no doubt speed up the CPS decision. I'm wondering if the ECB and the CPS are just waiting for the other to take the plunge.

Frankly, it is f***ing ridiculous that the CPS would wait for an employer. I'm not doubting it may happen in the real world, but at a first principles level its absurd. At the very least they and/or police should always work on the basis of no other action being taken. The working assumption should be that it won't.

Seems to me here that everyone realises it's a media hot potato and are buck-passing. Police want to dip the CPS's hand in blood so to speak, so as to manage the ensuing furore that will erupt whatever the decision. It's the reason why the ECB are passive too. They can't win - if he's charged, people are going to broil because they'd prefer him to be in Australia. If he isn't, they're going to broil because he could have played in Brisbane.

6 hour flight from Auckland to Perth. Play a couple of games for Canterbury on 2nd and 5th December (second game in Auckland) and fly straight to Perth before the 9th Dec when England play a Cricket Australia side and 3rd test starts 14th. All a plan from ECB as Adelaide best chance of a win/draw in Aus. Get him back in the side at either 1-1 or still 1-0 down then walk the last 3 tests with him in it. Clever this ECB lot - still looking for a fairytale better than the 05 Ashes and this could be it...

I'm thinking it's more likely the ECB now know what the Police decision is, hence Stokes is off to NZ to "acclimatise" until the CPS make their decision, which is likely to concur with the Police. So, assuming it's not prosecution Stokes is only a very few hours from Oz and ready to join in the Ashes.
It was reported yesterday that the ECB were surprised at Stokes' move. The ECB didn't arrange it although they approved it when it was proposed to them.

Though neither are acceptable, there is a big difference between windmilling someone and sexual assault...

Exactly. Not a f***ing clue what @Jose Sandshoe was on about.

Unfortunately I don't share that optimism. If the police were going to drop the case, they have the power to do that without the CPS advice. To me, they'd only go to the CPS to seek a prosecution.

6 hour flight from Auckland to Perth. Play a couple of games for Canterbury on 2nd and 5th December (second game in Auckland) and fly straight to Perth before the 9th Dec when England play a Cricket Australia side and 3rd test starts 14th. All a plan from ECB as Adelaide best chance of a win/draw in Aus. Get him back in the side at either 1-1 or still 1-0 down then walk the last 3 tests with him in it. Clever this ECB lot - still looking for a fairytale better than the 05 Ashes and this could be it...

Your whole post completely undermined by that ridiculous statement.

You say you follow cricket?!

What have FTECB ever done to prove to you they are 'clever' ?!

Just the next step in the proceedure. I would guess that Stokes' legals have had a chance to see the file and they think he's not going to be charged, and that's why he's gone.

Hope you're right Steaky.

Last edited:

Unfortunately I don't share that optimism. If the police were going to drop the case, they have the power to do that without the CPS advice. To me, they'd only go to the CPS to seek a prosecution.
This is how I see it as well, with my albeit limited knowledge of the subject.

I said earlier I think he might get a caution and as far as I'm aware the CPS play a role in that decision.

Think you've missed the point a little, or maybe I wasn't clear - what I was trying to allude to is that if that is how it plays out the ECB will get/claim a lot of credit for their handling of the situation and managing to win an ashes. Having supposedly only okayed the move to travel to NZ rather than suggest it themselves, they will try to take any credit they can if all comes good, hoping that the result of this series is deemed more important by the public than the whole Stokes saga.

Adelaide has always been best chance to win a test, if they can bring him in after that and pull off the series win if still at 1-0 or (hopefully) 1-1, they escape a lot of criticism imo. 'Saving face' I think it is called.

Think you've missed the point a little, or maybe I wasn't clear - what I was trying to allude to is that if that is how it plays out the ECB will get/claim a lot of credit for their handling of the situation and managing to win an ashes. Having supposedly only okayed the move to travel to NZ rather than suggest it themselves, they will try to take any credit they can if all comes good, hoping that the result of this series is deemed more important by the public than the whole Stokes saga.

Adelaide has always been best chance to win a test, if they can bring him in after that and pull off the series win if still at 1-0 or (hopefully) 1-1, they escape a lot of criticism imo. 'Saving face' I think it is called.

Aye, I knew what you were on about - there's no way FTECB 'didn't know' about Stokes' plans to go to NZ :lol:

I've had a think about this whole scenario now, read up a little too on the CPS' role and I'm beginning to think it could be good news.

A few things: there's no way that Stokes goes to NZ if he's likely to be charged/prosecuted - to me, his or FTECB's lawyers are confident (either on their own knowledge or by speaking to the police) that Stokes won't be getting summonsed anytime soon.

FTECB would've known exactly where Stokes was going. There's absolutely no way they'll have granted him permission to play cricket for anyone other than them, without them asking (and Stokes telling them) where he's going and what his plans are.

It's very handy that he's 'visiting family' and playing cricket to get match fit, in the right continent of the world if he was suddenly cleared.

It may take a week, two or even three, but it's expected that the public interest in this case will mean the CPS look at it as a matter of urgency. I believe FTECB will hope they've got him available for Perth, but if it has to be the MCG then they'll accept that.

Any FTECB sanction following their process will likely be backdated, so any cricket he misses will be taken into account on their 'sentencing'.

Could be a million miles off, wouldn't be the first time, but there have been a lot of things happening which are all too convenient in terms of Stokesy making a comeback.

I suppose the other thing that FTECB have going for them, is they've handled this from a PR standpoint very well, they've not made any rash decisions and I feel that if a decision from the CPS comes which we don't like - it'll mean they can just have Stokes remain suspended.

Last edited:
A few things: there's no way that Stokes goes to NZ if he's likely to be charged/prosecuted - to me, his or FTECB's lawyers are confident (either on their own knowledge or by speaking to the police) that Stokes won't be getting summonsed anytime soon.
You could take that 2 ways though - if it really is going to be "several weeks" before the CPS make a decision, the Stokes might as well go play crickets somewhere. The ECB state he won't play until this is resolved, the CPS will most likely take a few weeks thus ruling Stokes out of the Ashes. Stokes goes and plays some cricket somewhere to keep himself fit/busy ahead of the IPL. There is always the possibility that the decision will come soon and he'll be cleared meaning he is in the right continent and match fit in time for the 3rd or 4th Test but it feels unlikely

It's just guesswork, but it's just the next step. The police have finished their investigation and passed the file to the CPS to see if they're going to press charges. Now, Stokes' lawyers will have seen the file and the fact he's is on the other side of the world (and the timing of his departure) tells me that the legals reckon he's getting off.

I reckon he plays in Perth. 100%.

Possibly available for the one dayers, but all getting pretty ridiculous. We all know it's in the public interest for him to be playing in The Ashes!

As much of a fan of Stokes I am if no charges are brought then this rule of thumb should be applied in case law for the average man on the street.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42171706

Think we can forget about seeing him in The Ashes tbh. "Several weeks" sounds like a while.

So the NZ series.... Will he make it?

Some lawyers on social media saying it's likely to be much sooner than 'several weeks' due to the public interest of the case.

Also read something myself, maybe even on the CPS website that said there's allowances made for such.

Edit - Poor form for the author of that article to make such a statement regarding 'several weeks'. He doesn't know, or atleast can't be certain. Therefore shouldn't just guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back