Gym annoyances

How do you know it’s for muscle building and not conditioning work?

2 completely different procedures. Conditioning is all about the reps rather than the size so downsizing is encouraged during later parts
Olympic Weightlifters most famously tend to totally forego the eccentric portion of their lifts, and drop their weights, in order to gain strength without gaining size.

And @Big Jeff can correct me if I’m wrong here, but I think it’s a pretty safe assumption that the kind of people we’re talking about here are meathead ego-lifters who have absolutely zero interest in ‘conditioning’ rather than the Chinese Olympic Weightlifting team.

Last edited:

Olympic Weightlifters most famously tend to totally forego the eccentric portion of their lifts, and drop their weights, in order to gain strength without gaining size.

And @Big Jeff can correct me if I’m wrong here, but I think it’s a pretty safe assumption that the kind of people we’re talking about here are meathead ego-lifters who have absolutely zero interest in ‘conditioning’ rather than the Chinese Olympic Weightlifting team.
Exactly mate. The type of knacker throwing weights around in the gym wants everyone to turn around and swoon at the great mass of weight he has been lifting.

The muscle they should be training is the one between their ears.

New annoyance. The pec deck machine.

Fuckin lovely bit of kit, the hammer strength one especially which is in my gym.
However, every time I go in it’s taken, and as soon as someone comes off it, some **** pounces on it.

Having to just cable rear flies now which does the same job effectively however I much prefer the pec deck for rear flies.

Some geezer on there today must have done no word of a lie, 8 sets. I was like wtf mate it’s utterly mental, ridiculous and totally unnecessary.

New annoyance. The pec deck machine.

Fuckin lovely bit of kit, the hammer strength one especially which is in my gym.
However, every time I go in it’s taken, and as soon as someone comes off it, some **** pounces on it.

Having to just cable rear flies now which does the same job effectively however I much prefer the pec deck for rear flies.

Some geezer on there today must have done no word of a lie, 8 sets. I was like wtf mate it’s utterly mental, ridiculous and totally unnecessary.
That would annoy me. Wtf was he doing??!

You can be done with literally one set and get a hell of a pump in the process from the pec dec if you actually do it properly:

Full stretch, pause, slowly bringing the handles back towards the centre position without touching them together to keep the tension on the chest, then slowly return back to the stretched position. Wash, rinse, repeat…

That would annoy me. Wtf was he doing??!

You can be done with literally one set and get a hell of a pump in the process from the pec dec if you actually do it properly:

Full stretch, pause, slowly bringing the handles back towards the centre position without touching them together to keep the tension on the chest, then slowly return back to the stretched position. Wash, rinse, repeat…
Just doing set after set. Haven’t a fuckin clue tbh, only noticed cos I’d done set of rear cable flies, face pulls, dumbbell shoulder press and shrugs and he was only just finishing.

I just laughed :lol:

One of them sessions today where every machine I wanted to go on was taken.

Gym wasn’t overly busy but just one of them days so had to make do.

Also pec deck is still sponsored in my gym, you get a fiver for every set you complete, at least that’s what it feels like.

Also pec deck is still sponsored in my gym, you get a fiver for every set you complete, at least that’s what it feels like.
Same , every machine with some old twat not breaking sweat , 5 mins between sets .
I ended up on a jogger waiting for some leg machines to come free , watched a lad basically sit still on a quad extension for a full 15 mins . He did literally 3 sets of two over the full 15 . He had some unusual head twitches though so i think he was a bit neurodiverse .
Ended up with 40 mins cardio, quads and hammies and some wobble board stuff for stability.
Im an old twat too by the way but still train properly to exertion level , sets and rests. Pisses me off when people my age waste their time doing stuff they could basically do better in a chair at home . Some knackered 60 odd year olds about , just getting out of the house.

Last edited:
Same , every machine with some old twat not breaking sweat , 5 mins between sets .
I ended up on a jogger waiting for some leg machines to come free , watched a lad basically sit still on a quad extension for a full 15 mins . He did literally 3 sets of two over the full 15 . He had some unusual head twitches though so i think he was a bit neurodiverse .
Ended up with 40 mins cardio, quads and hammies and some wobble board stuff for stability
The leg extension hoggers piss me off. ***** sit on their phone for 5 minutes, do a set, 5 minutes, do a set. Rinse and repeat for 20 minutes, it’s fuckin frightening.

I know not everyone in the gym is there to push themselves but fuck me, at least put some sort of graft in.

The leg extension hoggers piss me off. ***** sit on their phone for 5 minutes, do a set, 5 minutes, do a set. Rinse and repeat for 20 minutes, it’s fuckin frightening.

I know not everyone in the gym is there to push themselves but fuck me, at least put some sort of graft in.
Exactly that , the ab crunch back extension is the same . They dont even put any resistance on , just swinging loose 🤷🏻

Literally why I can’t deal with commercial gyms at peak times.

I’m very particular about my training plan and exercise order and that would drive me insane. It would just feel like a wasted session.

One of those machines where if you’re training properly you can get everything you need out of it with one set to failure.

Basic leg workout:

Calf raises
Squats to warm up or some jumping shit to activate the CNS.
Hamstring curls or RDL’s.
Leg extension — legs are already warm at this point.
All out set of squats or leg press, until you die.

Done.

Last edited:
Literally why I can’t deal with commercial gyms at peak times.

I’m very particular about my training plan and exercise order and that would drive me insane. It would just feel like a wasted session.

One of those machines where if you’re training properly you can get everything you need out of it with one set to failure.

Basic leg workout:

Calf raises
Squats to warm up or some jumping shit to activate the CNS.
Hamstring curls or RDL’s.
Leg extension — legs are already warm at this point.
All out set of squats or leg press, until you die.

Done.
I’m the same, have my routine written out in my notes before each session and atm I can never follow it to a tee as my gym is chocker no matter what time I go, either 11am, 1pm, 2pm etc

I’m the same, have my routine written out in my notes before each session and atm I can never follow it to a tee as my gym is chocker no matter what time I go, either 11am, 1pm, 2pm etc
I think my ( council) gym has had a blitz on exercise on prescription . Loads of remedial old geezers & biddys doing no more than a bit of steady walking wouldnt cover in joggers and dress shoes.
Place suits me though its, cheap. got all the stuff , 10 mins from home and free , available parking

I think my ( council) gym has had a blitz on exercise on prescription . Loads of remedial old geezers & biddys doing no more than a bit of steady walking wouldnt cover in joggers and dress shoes.
Place suits me though its, cheap. got all the stuff , 10 mins from home and free , available parking
There must be a similar scheme at the gym group chain.

I think that it’s today when the elderly people turn up for a chat.

At least they’re doing something I suppose.

The interesting/scary point of note is that I’m probably only 10 years younger than some of them.

Unfortunately it sometimes ‘only’ takes one illness or accident to ruin your health.

There must be a similar scheme at the gym group chain.

I think that it’s today when the elderly people turn up for a chat.

At least they’re doing something I suppose.

The interesting/scary point of note is that I’m probably only 10 years younger than some of them.

Unfortunately it sometimes ‘only’ takes one illness or accident to ruin your health.
Yeah , im very aware of the passage of time & my own vulnerability mate. Its just a life long gym mindset thing , i try my best to be kind and think well at least theyre doing something and "but by the grace of God " but f*cking hell if youre there to improve at least try . I think that's what irks me , theyre not doing enough to get a second chance (In my selfish and opinionated view obviously). Its just going through the motions & a waste of everyones time. Then i think just be in the way somewhere else.
Im a fairly busy, angry (old ) man in the gym i admit it

Last edited:
Yeah , im very aware of the passage of time & my own vulnerability mate. Its just a life long gym mindset thing , i try my best to be kind and think well at least theyre doing something and "but by the grace of God " but f*cking hell if youre there to improve at least try . I think that's what irks me , theyre not doing enough to get a second chance (In my selfish and opinionated view obviously). Its just going through the motions & a waste of everyones time. Then i think just be in the way somewhere else.
Im a fairly busy, angry (old ) man in the gym i admit it
I agree with all of that, and I go to the gym with a plan and with limited time.

Hence I’m a fairly busy, angry-ish middle aged man in the gym! If I have more time e.g. on a Sunday then I do pass the time of day with people, aware that I don’t get in anybody’s way.

Back