Gus poyet

Would love to see Gus back but think if any of our previous managers were to return (Big Sam a given) Keane would be the best bet to get this bunch playing football.

His record Betis aside is pretty good - 60% win rate at AEK and Bordeaux. Lets get real he and Pearson are far and away the best candidates on the list. Managers who've managed at the top level and probably wouldnt consider us. We're in league one man
What would you think about Pearson coming in without Shakespeare?

I’m pretty sure his record with/without him is starkly different a la Clough and Taylor or O’Neill and Robertson.

His record Betis aside is pretty good - 60% win rate at AEK and Bordeaux. Lets get real he and Pearson are far and away the best candidates on the list. Managers who've managed at the top level and probably wouldnt consider us. We're in league one man

If you just judge on win rates his record is good. He has fallen out with the owners at every club he has been at, including this one, within less than 12 months of getting there. He hasn't lasted 30 games at any of the 4 clubs he has been at since he left us. If he repeated that here he wouldn't even last until the end of the season.

I think people remember the really good stuff he did in his first part season here, the good football, the great escape, the Wembley run, and that's fair enough.

I'm not sure why so many are choosing to forget the turgid football that followed the Southampton defeat, the sulks, the psychodrama, the capitulations at Bradford and Hull, losing the plot at the end, the criticism of the fans for supposedly all wanting 4-4-2, the fans turning on him when we were 4 down at home to Villa at half time, and the 1 win in 12 games and relegation that would have followed if he hadn't been sacked.

I have no real fondness for Poyet from his time here. I remember not looking forward to the match when he was manager.
But I suppose it would be a canny coup to have him when we’re a third division team.

Poyet........ 😋 lest we forget

Seven of their games have ended 0-0 - no other team has recorded more than four.
Only Aston Villa (19) have scored fewer goals than Sunderland (23).
Sunderland have had the fewest number of shots (204).
The Wearsiders have the second-worst home record in Premier League.
This term, Sunderland have just four wins from 29 league matches and were knocked out of the FA Cup by League One Bradford in February.

Following that 2-0 defeat by the Bantams, Poyet wrote an open letter to fans calling for unity to help their battle to stay in the Premier League.

Sunderland were 4-0 down to Villa before half-time on Saturday.

Some angry fans had to be restrained by security staff as they tried to get close to Poyet in the dug-out, while other supporters left the ground early.

Poyet........ 😋 lest we forget

Seven of their games have ended 0-0 - no other team has recorded more than four.
Only Aston Villa (19) have scored fewer goals than Sunderland (23).
Sunderland have had the fewest number of shots (204).
The Wearsiders have the second-worst home record in Premier League.
This term, Sunderland have just four wins from 29 league matches and were knocked out of the FA Cup by League One Bradford in February.

Following that 2-0 defeat by the Bantams, Poyet wrote an open letter to fans calling for unity to help their battle to stay in the Premier League.

Sunderland were 4-0 down to Villa before half-time on Saturday.

Some angry fans had to be restrained by security staff as they tried to get close to Poyet in the dug-out, while other supporters left the ground early.
Yes, but he was given no money and garbage players were bought for him. And, that was the premier league...we are in League 1 now. This squad is more than good enough to get automatic.

The club not paying the money for ki and congerton signing Rodwell instead for the same money was a massive kick in the bollocks to him. I think if he’d been able to spend money on some decent players that second season would have been very different. Typically though we spent small fees on first team players that were not goood enough.

I have a relation who played under Poyet here. Absolutely loved him, can't speak highly enough of him. Brought his game on massively whilst here. Excellent coach.

In other words, good record in Michael Mouse leagues. He's never been touted by any premier or even champo sides since he left us, which tells us a lot I feel.

Back