Gus poyet

Imagine these players trying the big i am under poyet, he'd laugh at them. He'd have respect straight away and will probably outlast all the first team squad here.

Trying to think of who might thrive.

Wright, Willis, Maguire, Leadbitter. Grigg as a very very long shot.

Wonder if he had much interaction with Gooch back then?

"Yes, I said it already a few months ago. Yes, of course because there are things that are still possible to change. Just to clarify because I always said it, right now you’ve got a manager, Phil Parkinson, he’s doing very well.

It’s a different situation but it’s something that...when you’ve been in a club and you’ve been so close to people and then everyone watches the series Sunderland ‘Til I Die, and then the first thing they do, they call you and they ask you “You’ve been there and it confirmed things that you already told them” because that’s what Sunderland ‘Til I Die does, confirmed to people things that I told them when I left Sunderland.

It’s like you want to go back because it’s typical South American passion, you know, the fans. So that relationship that we made with the fans, even if it didn’t finish in the best way, I am still thinking that it’s possible to do something important there and it’s easier when you know how much it [the football club] means to fans. How important it is to the city, so yeah, of course."

That's two podcasts he's done recently specifically with SAFC fans, about SAFC, saying he'd like to come back.

Need a Poirot tasche twirling emoji, but I wonder if the little tinker already knows he's getting it.

FFS I’m sure Alzheimer’s is endemic amongst a lot of Sunderland fans. Same call went out for Danny Graham. How is that going?
To be comparable Graham would have had to be a 15/20 goal player for us that turned to shite. First season Poyet was undoubtedly very good. Played some awful attritional stuff after that though.

Or couldn’t you just mutually terminate them if you have the coin ?

Aye if they'll agree to it. Hence the word "mutually". If they know you want rid of them and there's no offers, who could blame them for wanting to stick around and see out their full contract?

The next option then would be paying up their entire contract in advance and releasing them. Not sure about whether this would still count towards this year's wages though.

Alternatively, just unregister them from the 1st January. They'd still be on the books but not count against the wage cap this year.

There are other problems though.

IIRC this year any players already on our books only count as something like 1.7k towards the wage cap at maximum, regardless of how much they're on. Getting rid of a player that's on 10k a week will only free up 1.7k of the wage cap, so you're likely looking at much worse players brought in than those leaving, unless you only bring in under-23's (who are exempt from the cap I think).

The next problem is if we don't go up this year. I think all senior players' wages count in full next season in League 1 regardless of whether the player is registered or not. A much more level playing field than we even have this year, and hugely problematic for us considering the wages some of our players will be on currently. We could find ourselves seriously in the crap next season with regard to the players we could bring in and maybe find ourselves docked points or getting other punishments for being over the wage cap.

Aye if they'll agree to it. Hence the word "mutually". If they know you want rid of them and there's no offers, who could blame them for wanting to stick around and see out their full contract?

The next option then would be paying up their entire contract in advance and releasing them. Not sure about whether this would still count towards this year's wages though.

Alternatively, just unregister them from the 1st January. They'd still be on the books but not count against the wage cap this year.

There are other problems though.

IIRC this year any players already on our books only count as something like 1.7k towards the wage cap at maximum, regardless of how much they're on. Getting rid of a player that's on 10k a week will only free up 1.7k of the wage cap, so you're likely looking at much worse players brought in than those leaving, unless you only bring in under-23's (who are exempt from the cap I think).

The next problem is if we don't go up this year. I think all senior players' wages count in full next season in League 1 regardless of whether the player is registered or not. A much more level playing field than we even have this year, and hugely problematic for us considering the wages some of our players will be on currently. We could find ourselves seriously in the crap next season with regard to the players we could bring in and maybe find ourselves docked points or getting other punishments for being over the wage cap.

saved me some typing. Yes, as far as Jan is concerned, replacements in the “pay them off” scenario would have to be on around 1.7kpw- they won’t be L1 world-beaters. I think the age limit to not count towards the wage cap is under-21.

i don’t about next seasons rules.

Poyet currently doing American television whiparound covverage of the Champions League. CBS has abandoned showing actual matches in the group stages, except online. It's awful.

More to the point, I don't think this lot is so awful in possession his style couldn't work. We keep possession okay, there just doesn't seem to be enough edge in the final third. Don't know if he could bring that out or not.

Sorry if posted earlier but I was having a look at his personal site...... Interesting interview and also his separate comments about Uruguayan players which seems to mirror Sartori's previous comments.

You can't deny his passion.....he is the opposite of Parky. We need his stature and ethos. We need to believe that we are going to beat everyone in this league.

Back