Gus poyet

If you just judge on win rates his record is good. He has fallen out with the owners at every club he has been at, including this one, within less than 12 months of getting there. He hasn't lasted 30 games at any of the 4 clubs he has been at since he left us. If he repeated that here he wouldn't even last until the end of the season.

I think people remember the really good stuff he did in his first part season here, the good football, the great escape, the Wembley run, and that's fair enough.

I'm not sure why so many are choosing to forget the turgid football that followed the Southampton defeat, the sulks, the psychodrama, the capitulations at Bradford and Hull, losing the plot at the end, the criticism of the fans for supposedly all wanting 4-4-2, the fans turning on him when we were 4 down at home to Villa at half time, and the 1 win in 12 games and relegation that would have followed if he hadn't been sacked.

Aye, I'm certainly not Poyet's biggest fan. By the end I thought he was wanting to get sacked. No matter how frustrating the ownership was, I thought it was a disgrace how he just seemed to be waiting for his pay off. I might be being unfair, but I also don't fully credit him for the great escape. As far as I can remember it felt like he'd given up and the players pretty much started ignoring him and doing what they wanted. That combined with Wickham randomly hitting a purple patch was what did it. That might be time clouding my memory mind but that's how I remember it.

That being said a hell of a lot has changed. We're in league one now and he'd be a major coup and a statement of intent in this division. I also get the impression he'd be happy working with a sporting director and trying to get an ethos throughout the whole club. The fact he's also (albeit a while ago) worked in this league is a comfort, he won't be completely surprised by how shite everyone is. Overall I'm not a great fan of the bloke, but I'll be pretty pleased if he comes in. Maybe with different ownership (and the sporting director appointment would be key) he could really build something and not stall like last time.

The chatter around Jocelyn Gourvennec is interesting. Louis-Dreyfus will know of him, and apparently he turned down the Dijon job recently.

Good shout GOM.
I don’t know anything about the lad other than what has been posted in connection to this role but I wouldn’t be surprised if they went down this or a similar route.
I wouldn’t be against it to be fair as the new regime will have a better idea of someone like him and his ability/willingness to work with a Sporting Director than say a Pearson/Cowley.
It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

The problem with Poyet was the strange recruitment structure at the time with Congleton. It’s no secret Poyet wanted Ki, Alonso and Borini as perm signings that second season and he got none of them.

Aye, I'm certainly not Poyet's biggest fan. By the end I thought he was wanting to get sacked. No matter how frustrating the ownership was, I thought it was a disgrace how he just seemed to be waiting for his pay off. I might be being unfair, but I also don't fully credit him for the great escape. As far as I can remember it felt like he'd given up and the players pretty much started ignoring him and doing what they wanted. That combined with Wickham randomly hitting a purple patch was what did it. That might be time clouding my memory mind but that's how I remember it.

That being said a hell of a lot has changed. We're in league one now and he'd be a major coup and a statement of intent in this division. I also get the impression he'd be happy working with a sporting director and trying to get an ethos throughout the whole club. The fact he's also (albeit a while ago) worked in this league is a comfort, he won't be completely surprised by how shite everyone is. Overall I'm not a great fan of the bloke, but I'll be pretty pleased if he comes in. Maybe with different ownership (and the sporting director appointment would be key) he could really build something and not stall like last time.
Indeed he was as shocked as the rest of us when we made the great escape

The problem with Poyet was the strange recruitment structure at the time with Congleton. It’s no secret Poyet wanted Ki, Alonso and Borini as perm signings that second season and he got none of them.
Also got overruled by Short in one game in Prem League on starting line up. Starting line up was picked then Short seen the team and came down and demanded one player removed from starting X1 and replaced by a player Poyet had named as sub. Reason?: Short didn't want this player sitting on the bench whilst he cost X amounts of £££'s to sign. Poyet wasn't happy but changed it.

Also got overruled by Short in one game in Prem League on starting line up. Starting line up was picked then Short seen the team and came down and demanded one player removed from starting X1 and replaced by a player Poyet had named as sub. Reason?: Short didn't want this player sitting on the bench whilst he cost X amounts of £££'s to sign. Poyet wasn't happy but changed it.
Man alive.

Exactly. If a manager doesn’t get the players he wants, he can’t play a system he wants, he can’t play the style that he wants. It’s like having hands tied behind his back.
That’s just f***ing madness.

In other words, good record in Michael Mouse leagues. He's never been touted by any premier or even champo sides since he left us, which tells us a lot I feel.

Do you reckon we’d be able to attract a manager touted by any premier league or half decent championship side?

We’re in league one and it’s our third season here. Aye Poyet was shite at the end and I worry about him not lasting very long at all anywhere else since he left us, but he’d be a very good appointment for a league one team.

He’s managed at a level higher than league one most his managerial career and he’s won league one before. He set the foundations for Brighton.

Exactly. If a manager doesn’t get the players he wants, he can’t play a system he wants, he can’t play the style that he wants. It’s like having hands tied behind his back.

That’s just f***ing madness.
True though mate👍👍
Do you reckon we’d be able to attract a manager touted by any premier league or half decent championship side?

We’re in league one and it’s our third season here. Aye Poyet was shite at the end and I worry about him not lasting very long at all anywhere else since he left us, but he’d be a very good appointment for a league one team.

He’s managed at a level higher than league one most his managerial career and he’s won league one before. He set the foundations for Brighton.
Bloody hell! Though you'd disappeared from the face of the Earth mate!! :lol: ..sorry for interrupting ya conversation.🙈

Last edited:
Rodwell?

Toward the end something happened and he lost whatever it was that made him a decent manager at the start. I point to the FA cup exit at Bradford. I think we lost something like 4-0.

But I think most of our love for Poyet is about 2014.

Back