Grief from strangers for wearing SAFC shirt

I got called a stupid cnt by some astute old fella just on the Gateshead side of the bridge. A little kid went to high five me then moved his hand away. Done me right up. :lol:

:lol: Aye I got 'SMB' 'Mackem Bastard' etc for miles and miles. Was alright once I hit Shields way

when they wanted to build a new ground on the town moor there would often be a petition to stop it. we must've signed it a canny few times. not just because it was them though tbh. they don't seem to grasp that not every person from newcastle is a football fan.
Yeah that must have been it. Daft bint went bananas :lol:

No but in Spain as a kid I had my SAFC top on was staring at a bloke in a Mag top, he just winked and gave me a thumbs up. On a one to one basis Mags are canny really but when they're in a group or at the match they get this funny mentality going on.
Maybe he was enjoying being stared at by a kid the perv.

On the flip side I remember one of the pre season matches years ago in tolka park in Dublin. There were a good few local kids there wearing various other premiership team shirts, arsenal, Liverpool, united etc.

One kid was wearing a mags top and obviously he or whoever let him out in it had no idea what they were doing.

During the match the kid was looking for someone and walked the whole way along the front of the stand.

Took a while but eventually everyone spotted him and just started roaring abuse at him. He didn’t find whoever he was looking for and had to walk the whole length back and got the same abuse again.

Part of me felt sorry for the kid but most of me found it hilarious! 🤣
I was there too

Any amusing/interesting stories from over the years?

I think this evening might have been the first time I ever had any grief. I was parked in McDonald's (Thinford), eating my burger and a car pulled up a couple of spaces next to me with a bunch of young lads and a lass. Didn't pay any attention, until I heard something hit my side window. Oh, this lad has only gone and thrown his burger at my car, and is now shuffling towards my window dancing and singing about winning the derby 3-0. :lol:

He then stood next to my window and kept tapping it to get my attention, so I put my food down and drove off rather than engage with him. What a numpty.
To be fair any grown person wearing a football shirt and not at the match is a wrong one.

Your old enough to drive and wear a football shirt away from the game.

Very strange.

I went in my local the Chillingham in Heaton on my way home from a match. Was wearing a T-shirt with the ship badge on. Someone threatened to slit my throat. Living in Newcastle I’ve had to put up with a lot of verbal and on a couple of occasions at school some physical abuse.

I went in my local the Chillingham in Heaton on my way home from a match. Was wearing a T-shirt with the ship badge on. Someone threatened to slit my throat. Living in Newcastle I’ve had to put up with a lot of verbal and on a couple of occasions at school some physical abuse.
The Chillingham is soft as shite, full of student raaahs. Whoever threatened you must've watched Gangs of London or something and thought that was how people actually go on.

Hardly like. Was only recently a bloke was in the Echo crying because he got a smack in Sunderland city centre because him or his son had a mag top on.
If it was the dad wearing it then he probably deserves a smack for being so f***ing thick.
If it was the son then the attacker is a ****.

To be fair any grown person wearing a football shirt and not at the match is a wrong one.

Your old enough to drive and wear a football shirt away from the game.

Very strange.
Should I have taken my top off on the walk back to the car? :lol: I was driving home from the match and obviously still had my top on as I'd not been home yet.

I got called a mackem **** by a group of lads in there 20s walking along the strip in Protaras when i had my top on. I was 12 and by myself. My old man went mental when I told him

Nah, never really. Used to get the metro from Newcastle to Sunderland for matches and in the winter I’d go in one of the Cowies Red & White bobble hats and a Sunderland scarf.

Never had a pick of bother, worst thing was some bairns on their scooters shouting ‘Toon Toon!’ as they got off the metro at Gateshead Stadium or somewhere round there.

Don’t tend to wear them as an adult like. Can remember a middle aged Chelsea fan trying to have a really in depth conversation about football with me on holiday as a bairn when I was wearing one. Looking back and with the benefit of age I should have said “Mate, I’m 7, I have nothing to offer you in this conversation.”

:lol:
Was it Graham Rix?

My older brother used to take me and my younger brother to the match on the train from Donny when we were about 12, we always covered our colours up but something must have been showing as we changed at newcastle, one pi$$ed mag started singing ”sucker park sucker park sucker park” as it was when we were still at roker. My older brother was about 18 and just shuffled us away before anyone else heard and we got more grief.

Quite the opposite in fact. During the SNQ and SKP period I was travelling from Brighton to MK. I went via Bedford or Luton, maybe Northampton and went to the nearest pub I could find, waiting for the next train to MK.

It was late at night, during the week. I ended up in a pub and sat at the bar. I got some funny looks, I think the Americans call it "The stinkeye" Probably 10 geezers in there and went for a piss. On the way to the bog I saw a framed photo of SNQ on the wall, smiled. When I got back to my seat (post piss) The landlord asked me about my piss...I mean, where i'm from.

I said Sunderland, I'm a Sunderland fan but not raised in the NE. His face lit up, i'll never forget it. He commented/critized my southern accent, he wasn't sure about my claims. But I told him about our move from the NE to MK in the 70s.

It was an Irish pub, Man Utd pub, but SNQ was loved. We got chatting and he pulled me off...I mean, he gave me a couple of free pints, insisted actually.

By the time I left I was full of optimism and worried I would miss the train, I didn't. But after 10 minutes on the train I was desperate for a piss! I went to the toilet but it was engaged, another toilet, engaged!

In my desperation I ripped the flask from a small, frail old women and relieved myself. It went everywhere.

I made my apologies and the daft thing is, even after my arrest/release. I never got to see the so-called white cliffs of Dover!

Talk about fake marketing, pffff

Quite the opposite in fact. During the SNQ and SKP period I was travelling from Brighton to MK. I went via Bedford or Luton, maybe Northampton and went to the nearest pub I could find, waiting for the next train to MK.

It was late at night, during the week. I ended up in a pub and sat at the bar. I got some funny looks, I think the Americans call it "The stinkeye" Probably 10 geezers in there and went for a piss. On the way to the bog I saw a framed photo of SNQ on the wall, smiled. When I got back to my seat (post piss) The landlord asked me about my piss...I mean, where i'm from.

I said Sunderland, I'm a Sunderland fan but not raised in the NE. His face lit up, i'll never forget it. He commented/critized my southern accent, he wasn't sure about my claims. But I told him about our move from the NE to MK in the 70s.

It was an Irish pub, Man Utd pub, but SNQ was loved. We got chatting and he pulled me off...I mean, he gave me a couple of free pints, insisted actually.

By the time I left I was full of optimism and worried I would miss the train, I didn't. But after 10 minutes on the train I was desperate for a piss! I went to the toilet but it was engaged, another toilet, engaged!

In my desperation I ripped the flask from a small, frail old women and relieved myself. It went everywhere.

I made my apologies and the daft thing is, even after my arrest/release. I never got to see the so-called white cliffs of Dover!

Talk about fake marketing, pffff
Ya daft sod 🤣

About 18 years ago, not long after I’d moved over to Northern Ireland, a group of us went to the cinema in Belfast. It was one of those ones inside a complex that also housed a couple of night clubs. I decided to wear one of those long sleeves shirts that was done in a retro Sunderland strip. As I walked out of the house, my fiancé (now wife) looked at me and said “you wearing that?” And then shrugged when I said yes.

We arrived at the complex and I was walking towards the entrance which also had two large bouncers standing on duty. Didn’t even get anywhere near the door when one of the bouncers stepped forward and held up his hand and growled (in a thick Belfast accent) “Sorry pal. But ye cannot go in wearing that”.

I looked at the people I was with quizzically, who were laughing, and then they explained that people were allowed to wear football Style shirts inside certain bars etc. Luckily I had a cardigan inside the car, so went back and put that on, went back and got in no bother.

Any amusing/interesting stories from over the years?

I think this evening might have been the first time I ever had any grief. I was parked in McDonald's (Thinford), eating my burger and a car pulled up a couple of spaces next to me with a bunch of young lads and a lass. Didn't pay any attention, until I heard something hit my side window. Oh, this lad has only gone and thrown his burger at my car, and is now shuffling towards my window dancing and singing about winning the derby 3-0. :lol:

He then stood next to my window and kept tapping it to get my attention, so I put my food down and drove off rather than engage with him. What a numpty.
What model is the Ford , how thin ?
Never wear colours but I had a white van man beeping and swerving me on the redheugh cos our works van had the sunderland address on the side

Last edited:

Back