Greg Clarke

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it wasn’t but are you going to sit here and tell me he deliberately tried to offend people and he’s a racist? Who amongst us hasn’t said something that they’ve not meant to or that they later regret?

Now he’s out of a job because the usual suspects are up in arms, I suspect many of them will be hypocrites.
You could maybe forgive one daft comment but he made 3 or 4 !

If he was just a 60 year old bloke on the street I'd say fair enough, he's stuck in the past and ignorant, maybe not racist. But you'd expect somebody who's got to his position to have a bit more nous!

Aye Exactly,

Not saying he’s a bad person but he’s trying to lead diversity change in a major organization

Did you see the way he was saying BAME, as “Bammy”

Also gay is a lifestylt choice

Where's the racist word? I can guide you through this.

How is ‘woman of colour’ different to ‘coloured woman’ ... that’s a genuine question btw. I’m not trying to be smart. I actually haven’t got a clue these days what may or may not offend someone

How is ‘woman of colour’ different to ‘coloured woman’ ... that’s a genuine question btw. I’m not trying to be smart. I actually haven’t got a clue these days what may or may not offend someone
Agree on this tbh, that is why the "colour" word has been removed. We are all of colour, some white, some black .......

If I was doing tv interviews I’d demand to be briefed on the latest acceptable terms first as let’s face it the use of one slightly wrong term even with no malicious intent whatsoever could cost you your job.

I actually thought that was currently the ‘acceptable’ term. I genuinely don’t even know anymore.
It was certainly the word used by the BBC during the 70`s and 80`s. The older generation in particular are struggling to know what is the correct term and sometimes use the "wrong" word without any ill intent. I`m sure the word "black" was frowned upon a while back. Now "person of colour" is acceptable but "coloured person" isn`t. People are confused and terrified of using the wrong word. Maybe the "coloured" word has connotations for segregation era America and apartheid South Africa Listen to the context here though, Clarke was speaking out against discrimination and shouldn`t be strung up for this because he chose the incorrect word.

Here we go another thread on how tip toe modern society has become,i feel like im walking on egg shells incase i say something which i believe is harmless but then get branded a racist.

And there we have it.

Good people will simply avoid connection for fear of offending someone with an innocent comment.

This sort of identity politics serves to widen the divisions not heal them.

Last edited:
It was certainly the word used by the BBC during the 70`s and 80`s. The older generation in particular are struggling to know what is the correct term and sometimes use the "wrong" word without any ill intent. I`m sure the word "black" was frowned upon a while back. Now "person of colour" is acceptable but "coloured person" isn`t. People are confused and terrified of using the wrong word. Maybe the "coloured" word has connotations for segregation era America and apartheid South Africa Listen to the context here though, Clarke was speaking out against discrimination and shouldn`t be strung up for this because he chose the incorrect word.

This, there’s a big difference between using the wrong or out of date term and being racist.
I think people in these high profile positions should be briefed/kept up to date on acceptable terms though because that’s the world now. One wrong move and social media erupts.

Aye but he's not just some owd duffer, he's the head of the F.A.

'Coloured' hasn't been an acceptable term to describe black people for a long time now for exactly the reasons you've suggested.

He's responsible for promoting equality so it's part of his job to keep on top of stuff like this.

Last edited:
Do you really expect people to believe that? Though your target audience are certainly on here.

You hear presenter's on BBC breakfast using the term people of colour and they are still sat in their seats. And on Sky sports news too. They have wanted this bloke out for years.
This.

It's hard to keep up.

One week black is OK. Next week it isn't. Then it changes back.

I was speaking to the police about something I'd witnessed, I had to ask them if 'mixed race' was still an acceptable term.

Apparently not, it's now 'blended heritage' but I hadn't seen the memo.

It's probably changed again since.

Loads of terms used when I was a kid would not be acceptable now but fuck it. One of my mates from school was a black lad and his nick name was chalkie. Still is too he is in his 50 now. He was one of the lads. No issues at all

Last edited:
Aye but he's not just some owd duffer, he's the head of the F.A.

'Coloured' hasn't been an acceptable term to describe black people for a long time now for exactly the reasons you've suggested.
He certainly should be briefed with exactly the correct words to use if he is championing diversity, so maybe he should have known better. I think he`s made a mistake and it is the context of what he`s saying that should be looked at. The same when Alan Hansen said a similar thing.

That's my point mate. Woman of colour is apparently acceptable, but not coloured woman.
And it's not just in the USA. A woman of colour as US vice-president: three writers on what Kamala Harris means to them

Aye that’s what I’m saying as well 🤣
I was a actually surprised to hear the reference in terms of the VP Elect. I’m genuinely confused by it all and hate the thought I’d upset someone accidentally by saying the wrong thing .... that’s why I’d just say ‘no comment’

This, there’s a big difference between using the wrong or out of date term and being racist.
I think people in these high profile positions should be briefed/kept up to date on acceptable terms though because that’s the world now. One wrong move and social media erupts.
Totally agree with that. It`s a potential minefield that can inadvertently end a career so people in high profile media positions should be absolutely clear what they should/shouldnot say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back