Greene king pubs

Adnams are having financial difficulties at the moment, and selling their pubs off is one option on the table-
Adnams calls in advisers to seek funds to save 152-year-old Suffolk brewer (Guardian)
I got the impression that they’ve over extended themselves but they’re not unique in that.
Not a massive Adnams fan, but I do like a pint of Woodfordes Wherry.
I had one some years ago but possibly it was off? Trouble is first impressions last but might give it another go!

Last edited:
Just a slightly better wetherspoons really.

But I'll never forgive them for calling that beer an ipa
3.6% tawny bland piss, trades description should have been on it :lol:
In fairness to them they’ve been brewing IPA for decades, long before the renaissance of this type of beer. I think people’s tastes for IPAs has changed and it is darker than its modern counterparts.

I used to drink IPA back in the 80s when we toured Bury St Edmunds playing cricket. It was much nicer then. Or maybe it was just nicer than the competition, Courage Best or Ruddles. Not a great fan these days.
Dunno how they got away this calling it that tbh, its not pale and tastes fuck all of hops and weak as piss

Last edited:
Best pub in this town

I also don't believe it's owned by them? Paul bought it a few years back?

I've drank in there for 22 years and thought paul bought it like

Topper😂😂😂 food is garbage, sanny is always

Been in the Willow Pond where Paul is indeed the manager but Greene King still have the lease

GF works in a Greene King pub, albeit its not directly ran as one of theirs (the word escapes me)

She gets discount codes which comes in handy for the odd pint and food.

Really like the Level Head IPA they do, shame the one she works in doesn't sell it :lol:

Level Head is OK but usually over-priced. My local GK pub had to reduce the price as it wasn't selling.
Awful beer, awful chain. It’s from Bury St Edmunds and nothing good ever came from this place, King Edmund would have told you that. To be fair Adnams and Woodfordes beer is just as bad!

Some decent pubs in Bury St Eds and they have one of the nicest Wetherspoons in the country.

Adnams is one of my favourite breweries. They don't do anything flash, just good reliable beer. Shame that they are having financial problems. Just hope that they they don't get bought out by GK.

Woodforde Wherry is an excellent session beer.

Last edited:
Level Head is OK but usually over-priced. My local GK pub had to reduce the price as it wasn't selling.

Some decent pubs in Bury St Eds and they have one of the nicest Wetherspoons in the country.

Adnams is one of my favourite breweries. They don't do anything flash, just good reliable beer. Shame that they are having financial problems. Just hope that they they don't get bought out by GK.

Woodforde Wherry is an excellent session beer.
BSE is a great drink. Some cracking pubs and a great mix of beers.

Mate runs one in mag land, says that the company are a clusterfucking disaster
They've been owned by a Hong Kong based property company since late 2019 who bought them with an unfortunate timing just before Covid which hasn't helped.

A mate down here has just left them as a manager to join a regional chain, and basically said the same as your mate in the company going rapidly downhill in his opinion.

Don’t normally study the names of the breweries too much , but looked on the Greene King website after reading this thread.

I would say I like every one I have been in round here , the Conquest , Cross Keys in Upsall , Saltburn Ship is really good , Wheatlands Farm Redcar and the Dog and Gun Keswick all very nice pint.

Southern Cross and Rudds in Marton gets plenty in , good atmosphere.
Travellers Rest in Hartlepool good for the football.
Punch and Judy Covent Garden happy memories.

I would say Greene King is probably my favourite chain based on those boozers.

West Suffolk. In fact, almost as west as you can possibly get. I'm almost in touching distance of Cambridgeshire.
I'm often out and about that way for the kids' footy and cricket. There are some decent places to eat and the villages are really nice. Booking in some nose-bag at the Monk for our team meeting in August.

Bit flat like.

Prince of Wales in Jarrow isn't bad.
20% off and a free pint now and again with the sports app.

Giving a free pint of Guinness away with the app when 6 nations started.

Best pub chain in the country?
When I was younger I used to boycott them due to their habit of buying up rival chains, adopting their signature ale and cancelling production of all the rest. They're also not great bosses to the pubs that are tied to them by all accounts.

I stopped doing that though, on the basis that their beer is lovely!

When I was younger I used to boycott them due to their habit of buying up rival chains, adopting their signature ale and cancelling production of all the rest. They're also not great bosses to the pubs that are tied to them by all accounts.

I stopped doing that though, on the basis that their beer is lovely!

Which of their beer is lovely?

GK, particularly the Hungry Horse ones are like the McDonalds of the pub world. Got one down the road which is cheap and cheerful at times for a can't be arsed to cook tea when I have the kids, but their "real" ales are rank, and the food is just about acceptable. Actually, no it's shite.

GK, particularly the Hungry Horse ones are like the McDonalds of the pub world. Got one down the road which is cheap and cheerful at times for a can't be arsed to cook tea when I have the kids, but their "real" ales are rank, and the food is just about acceptable. Actually, no it's shite.

There are different types of GK pubs. I wouldn't go within 100 yds of a Hungry Horse. The last time I accidentally ended up in one it as full of screaming kids running around after being given too many fizzy drinks and plastic food.

The GK branded and managed ones aren't quite as bad but have identical menus, which are just about a step above Wetherspoons but not much. The independently managed ones have a lot more freedom to set their own menus and get in guest ales. Some you would hardly know were GK pubs apart from seeing the ubiquitous and undrinkable IPA on the bar.

Back