Great atmosphere around the club

I think the big plus is that we can relate to our players. All seem like hardworking lads.
I think this is where Speakman should get a lot of credit. He’s clearly made a lot of effort to get beneath what is important to us as fans. I think Neil clearly gets it as well. When recruitment and coaching are aligned like that it’s a sound foundation. What we need now is an element of patience and realism from the fam base as we go into this new season. If we stick together as we did in the run last season we will stand our ground. But we need to be behind the team 100% and I’m sure these lads will pick up where they left off. We need to make the SOL an intimidating place to visit for opposition teams. We need to keep any frustrations under wraps in the crowd. It’s a step up for a lot of these lads. If Neil has faith in them so should we.

Yeah without doubt…..noone really knew prior to the start of that first season under Ross though, that Josh Maja would potentially be our key to promotion, or that we would ultimately lose out on promotion because we didnt have a dominant Centre half.
I go into this season confident already that we have a decent spine which i think will be strengthend further before the season starts
We only lost three games mate,whats this with a domint centre half?I really wonder if were jinxed? I cannot imagine here will be many teams(if any)who only lost three games in a season yet didn't get promoted?

Last edited:
Spoke with someone at Wembley who knows Methven. Didn't defend him but said although he went about it the wrong way, what he tried to do with the marketing team was definitely needed.

We only lost three games mate,whats this with a domint centre half?I really wonder if were jinxed? I cannot imagine here will be many teams(if any)who only lost three games in a season yet didn't get promoted?
I was of the same opinion we needed a robust centre half it may have been the difference between getting 3 points or settling for 1 point that season far to many draws.
Flanagan , Baldwin , Dunne were all weak and easily bullied in my view and all prone to that one mistake in the game that cost us
Osturk was slightly better towards end of season but once again prone to switching off

They were also incompetent, Neil could get poached by a premier league club next season, it's not that he has ' got the club' it's just that he is good at his job. All this getting the club is largely bollocks

He could and I agree the whole ‘he gets the club’ is to a large degree complete hyperbole, however, I’m heartened by Neil’s past record.

He doesn’t seem the type to jump ship easily and if he’s supported here in terms of a relative show of ambition by the owner I can see him sticking around for a while yet.

The more likely scenario if there’s any lesson to be gleaned from history, is that he’ll hit a bad run and the pressure for his dismissal will be by another means.

At present everything is rosy in the garden and long may that continue !

I agree to an extent ….but the difference then was we had appointed a relatively unknown and unproven manager in Jack Ross….noone knew for sure how he would work out.
the difference this time around with Alex Neil having now won virtually everyone over is that we go into a brand new season with confidence in both the team and manager for the first time since possibly Roy Keane was in charge.
I am genuinely excited for this season, not expecting to get promoted , but expecting to be in with a chance
I couldn't agree more, but the one thing that would spell trouble is not managing our expectations as fans. I've got a sneaky feeling that we're capable of launching a realistic push for top 10 or even top 6, but the one thing to avoid is turning on the players, manager, board if we lose a few games on the bounce....and we've form for that in recent years. Notts Forest last season were rooted to the bottom of the table for the 1st nine games or so, but look where they ended up. This season more than ever, we have to 'keep the faith' during sticky patches of form.

First time in how long?

Finally getting round to watching Sunderland Till I Die season 2 as I couldn't stomach watching it until now, with the chances and state of the club.

Seeing the club at the end of the championship season is genuinely sad. Stadium less than half full.

Now we have nigh on 30k season tickets and finally have something to get behind.

:cool:

Was only ever a question of time.
Nothing to worry about being a big Club, the same as Wednesday as there time will come again.
The journey up is the best of the lot, pinch yourself as it’s real and enjoy every week.

I'd imagine feeling great ready to push on and try n go places = then someone sees Donald and is reminded of that ball n chain round their leg.

I’ve really enjoyed the post play off buzz - watching all the clips and highlights on YouTube and stuff

But I’m buzzing for the new season now

Gonna make sure I’m in the stadium on time for the cov game. I reckon the atmosphere at 11:55 will be bouncing 😃

Not getting carried away here like , just cant wait to get out for a few, watch the match and go and have a few more , and this time thank fuck it's in the league above.

Was getting pretty bored watching same teams so change will be canny.

This place maybe only a poor start away from implosion mind :lol:

Got more faith in Neil than in any gaffer we've had in what feels like forever but could trust KLD and Speakman as far as I could throw them and I can't say I'm particularly comfortable with Sartori becoming an increasingly influential figure.

. KLD and Alex Neil seem to understand the club.

You'll have to forgive me for being once bitten twice shy.

Kept the two bungling idiots on far too long, was happy to carry on letting everyone think he owned the majority of the club, should have distanced himself from methven especially but kept him hanging around like a bad smell.

Said he was perfectly happy with ownership how it was and had no interest in buying more shares then out of the blue did a deal after leaving us sweating for weeks and months about the idea of them sticking around or worse, storey or this fans together nonsense hopping on board.

We were lost a playoff final under Donald and co, it'll take more than winning a play off final under kld to suddenly forget that everything up until Neil came along has been shite.

There is hope, finally. Ithics
Got more faith in Neil than in any gaffer we've had in what feels like forever but could trust KLD and Speakman as far as I could throw them and I can't say I'm particularly comfortable with Sartori becoming an increasingly influential figure.

Speakman the early signs are good, but I agree there's alot more work needs doing to repair some of the bridges thatve been burnt

Last edited:
First time in how long?

Finally getting round to watching Sunderland Till I Die season 2 as I couldn't stomach watching it until now, with the chances and state of the club.

Seeing the club at the end of the championship season is genuinely sad. Stadium less than half full.

Now we have nigh on 30k season tickets and finally have something to get behind.

:cool:

Genuinely hope we never have an era like that ever again. Lowest ebb the club has ever been at, certainly in my lifetime.

Back