Great atmosphere around the club

The jury is still out on KLD for me but we’ve hit the jackpot with Alex Neil, best thing to happen to this club since the turn of the century IMO.
Think he might well be the best thing to happen to us since Keane. Obviously didn't have the 'wow' factor that the Keane appointment did back in the day but he's turned out to be exactly what we needed after the Bolton hammering and the farcical few weeks that followed.

Uh oh, people are getting carried away :lol:

I reckon it's just a case of feeling like we're back on the up for most. If anyone is thinking we're going to be challenging next season then that is getting carried away. Staying up would be progress providing we add say a good player in January. 'Think Roberts is a very good signing. 'Surprised he came to be honest, clearly a much better footballer than say Jack Clarke. If the Arsenal lad turns out to be what is expected then definitely good progress.
Indeed.
Not getting Keane proved a blessing

I was one who thought Keane would be a bad move in our situation and with him being out of management so long and with his particular style. Alex Neill was always the better choice for me. A no nonsense Scotsman who knows the game inside out and goes about his business quietly but determinedly. For all Keane was a top quality player, maybe he lacks the managerial/coaching insight that the like of Alex Neill instinctively hold.

Last edited:
We have had very dark times, and the club at long last is going in the right direction. I think Neill is a real bonus. I would have snapped your hand off 12 months ago if offered promotion, Methven gone and Donalds share reduced.

But very aware that we are talking about SAFC, so complacency is out of the question.

Three straight defeats would soon stop the love in.

Let's give this manager a bit of breathing space and time.

We should have pissed league one.

We're Sunderland, there's always a kick in the tits waiting around the corner.

Plenty to be positive about for the first time since Allardyce was here. However it's important that we start next season well. As has been mentioned if we start badly it won't take long for the goodwill to erode away.

Thinking how far we have come in 18 months since Parkinson and the Chuckle brothers, our proper lowest ebb ever that period. f*ck me it was dank. Anyway from my rants about targeting youth and them being the only feasible way of us getting out of the nightmare way back when. We have youth and we are a year ahead of schedule with a proper decent manager and a young chairman who's "put up" dinged on the charlatans and about to mount a championship campaign (we are far from favorites mind) but we have momentum, passion and a noise second to none.
It was the relentless focus on youth that nearly derailed us.

Id argue the signing of Batth, reintegration of Wright, and letting Corry Evans play to his strengths, were some of the key factors in us becoming solid and not folding like Sunderland usually do.

It felt like everyone got hard ons over unearthing the next wunderkid as though we were playing Football Manager. We needed a balance of experience and youth and Neill immediately recognised this

First time in how long?

Finally getting round to watching Sunderland Till I Die season 2 as I couldn't stomach watching it until now, with the chances and state of the club.

Seeing the club at the end of the championship season is genuinely sad. Stadium less than half full.

Now we have nigh on 30k season tickets and finally have something to get behind.

:cool:
This is a brilliant post op @jsdftm04

Of course there’s a great atmosphere around the club when we’ve just been promoted, but that doesn’t mean that there wasn’t a very positive atmosphere prior to this. In fact a more subdued and focused environment can help players and staff to push on to achieve those higher goals. I would hope that we’re not complacent.

Of course there’s a great atmosphere around the club when we’ve just been promoted, but that doesn’t mean that there wasn’t a very positive atmosphere prior to this. In fact a more subdued and focused environment can help players and staff to push on to achieve those higher goals. I would hope that we’re not complacent.

In nearly 50 years as a supporter I can't remember even one fleeting moment of feeling complacent.

Back