Grace Millane - Body Found In Search For British Backpacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's strange.

However I do feel for her parents. How dreadful to travel half the world because your child is missing and then to be greeted with the very worst news. :cry::cry:
Me neither

Both my daughters have travelled and lived independently abroad (South Africa, New Zealand and Canada as well as Europe) and I would never have tried to stop them doing so. They each now have wide circle of good friends from all over the world and are more well rounded and happier people for the experience.

I feel for the parents in this case and it is of course your worst nightmare when your kids are travelling, but there is risk everywhere, it's probably more likely your kids will be killed in a road accident than by the hand of a predatory human.

Me neither

Both my daughters have travelled and lived independently abroad (South Africa, New Zealand and Canada as well as Europe) and I would never have tried to stop them doing so. They each now have wide circle of good friends from all over the world and are more well rounded and happier people for the experience.

I feel for the parents in this case and it is of course your worst nightmare when your kids are travelling, but there is risk everywhere, it's probably more likely your kids will be killed in a road accident than by the hand of a predatory human.
I think there is a big misconception about people, especially women, travelling solo. You become part of a large tight knit community of similar minded people who look out for each other. I would possibly argue that it helps people become more worldly wise than if they stayed within their comfort zone at home.
As horrible as this incident is, it isn't reflective of travelling.

Even even the copper in charge of the case was filling up whilst talking to the cameras.

Truly awful story. Can't imagine the agonies her family are going through

Yep, I noticed this also, the police man has clearly felt this trauma quite abit. Imagine New Zealand is a lower crime place though.

Hard to fathom how the parents can cope

I couldn't be arsed travelling to an unfamiliar country on my own as a lass and then meeting random people on tinder

Maybes that's wrong to say but it's things like this that make you think twice

Go as a group fair enough but you're taking a risk going anywhere on ya own and not being hyper vigilant

Imagine New Zealand is a lower crime place though.
Less than 5 million spread on two main islands compared to the population back in the UK. Nowhere in the World is safe and New Zealand is no exception. This weekend in Nelson 2 tourists were beaten up by 6 locals, one tourist suffered a broken nose, the other a broken jaw. This incident happened at 2am in the centre of Nelson a peaceful place during the day but not one to walk around in the early hours of the morning. Then again you could say that about any town in the World.
What I don't understand is why anyone especially a 22 year old female would go backpacking alone.

Grace Millane joins list of women tourists killed in New Zealand while travelling

Last edited:
Less than 5 million spread on two main islands compared to the population back in the UK. Nowhere in the World is safe and New Zealand is no exception. This weekend in Nelson 2 tourists were beaten up by 6 locals, one tourist suffered a broken nose, the other a broken jaw. This incident happened at 2am in the centre of Nelson a peaceful place during the day but not one to walk around in the early hours of the morning. Then again you could say that about any town in the World.
What I don't understand is why anyone especially a 22 year old female would go backpacking alone.
Mate I've met loads and loads of lasses who have backpacked/travelled alone. Across Aus and NZ, Asia and Africa. This really is so very rare. And as @RestlessNatives said earlier you tend not to be alone for very long anyway. You meet other like minded people.

If this lass, as mentioned, has met him on Tinder then it could have been anyone. It could have been a girl from Auckland with all her family and friends close by. There are some countries I'd say of course - do not do it alone. But the well travelled routes are really quite safe barring the dangers that you are also exposed to at home.

I have two daughters and will support them if they want to do it when they are older. I did it and would want them to. It's up to me to screw their heads on right so they take care whatever they are doing.

Mate I've met loads and loads of lasses who have backpacked/travelled alone. Across Aus and NZ, Asia and Africa. This really is so very rare. And as @RestlessNatives said earlier you tend not to be alone for very long anyway. You meet other like minded people.

If this lass, as mentioned, has met him on Tinder then it could have been anyone. It could have been a girl from Auckland with all her family and friends close by. There are some countries I'd say of course - do not do it alone. But the well travelled routes are really quite safe barring the dangers that you are also exposed to at home.

I have two daughters and will support them if they want to do it when they are older. I did it and would want them to. It's up to me to screw their heads on right so they take care whatever they are doing.

It's all you can do Bob. This put me in mind of the Korean lass who was studying in Lyons, murdered in London, her body dumped near York by a fellow Korean. She wasn't his only victim either. However much we imagine we can order the world in the end it's all so random. I'm not exactly sure what I'm saying here, just feeling for the family I guess.

Lots of younguns come here and backpack, it's one of the favourite place for backpackers. In my job I see loads of single lasses backpacking and thumbing lifts by the road side. New Zealand is a safe place, but you still need to have your wits about ya!

They've arrested a bloke for the murder, no details other than that at the moment.

It's all you can do Bob. This put me in mind of the Korean lass who was studying in Lyons, murdered in London, her body dumped near York by a fellow Korean. She wasn't his only victim either. However much we imagine we can order the world in the end it's all so random. I'm not exactly sure what I'm saying here, just feeling for the family I guess.
No, makes sense. You just never know what can happen anywhere.

It's awful for the family as they will have worried when she went. They will have had the conversation about staying safe and being careful about who you meet and what you do.

. It's up to me to screw their heads on right so they take care whatever they are doing.
Very commendable, every parent would or should be doing the same, but for all your girls might have their heads screwed on it doesn't prevent the sickos out there committing these crimes mate.

I think there is a big misconception about people, especially women, travelling solo. You become part of a large tight knit community of similar minded people who look out for each other. I would possibly argue that it helps people become more worldly wise than if they stayed within their comfort zone at home.
As horrible as this incident is, it isn't reflective of travelling.
Spot on ^ this sort of crime can happen anywhere

No, makes sense. You just never know what can happen anywhere.

It's awful for the family as they will have worried when she went. They will have had the conversation about staying safe and being careful about who you meet and what you do.
You can only guide them, tell them the dangers, what you can't do is wrap them up in cotton wool, how else will they learn. It's just so so sad that this 22 year old starting out In life has met this horrendous fate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back