Grace Millane - Body Found In Search For British Backpacker

I couldn't be arsed travelling to an unfamiliar country on my own as a lass and then meeting random people on tinder

Maybes that's wrong to say but it's things like this that make you think twice

Go as a group fair enough but you're taking a risk going anywhere on ya own and not being hyper vigilant
Get a grip, the world is there to be explored. I’ve backpcked for the last year, most people will end up travelling solo at some point, it’s what makes the experience. Disgusting what happened to this lass, hope the horrible **** who done it never sees the light of day again

Less than 5 million spread on two main islands compared to the population back in the UK. Nowhere in the World is safe and New Zealand is no exception. This weekend in Nelson 2 tourists were beaten up by 6 locals, one tourist suffered a broken nose, the other a broken jaw. This incident happened at 2am in the centre of Nelson a peaceful place during the day but not one to walk around in the early hours of the morning. Then again you could say that about any town in the World.
What I don't understand is why anyone especially a 22 year old female would go backpacking alone.

Grace Millane joins list of women tourists killed in New Zealand while travelling
Why shouldn’t she? Should she not visit London alone either? Or any other city in England?

Last edited:

Terrible stuff like. Noticed on her Facebook profile photo someone was calling someone else out on the comments for it

Get a grip, the world is there to be explored. I’ve backpcked for the last year, most people will end up travelling solo at some point, it’s what makes the experience. Disgusting what happened to this lass, hope the horrible **** who done it never sees the light of day again

Why shouldn’t she? Should she not visit London alone either? Or any other city in England?
No reason really apart from what's happened to the poor lass, besides I didn't say anywhere that she shouldn't, I said I didn't understand why a especially a 22 yer old female would go backpacking alone.

I couldn't be arsed travelling to an unfamiliar country on my own as a lass and then meeting random people on tinder

Maybes that's wrong to say but it's things like this that make you think twice

Go as a group fair enough but you're taking a risk going anywhere on ya own and not being hyper vigilant

Absolutely spot on, it would seem a lot of people are a little naive, the reality is there's a lot of sick individuals out there and you have to have your wits about you, even here in New Zealand.

Last edited:
City breaks stopping in areas where the locals live and holiday resorts where the locals go on holiday. Goes on trips out to see the real destination often using local public transport etc.
it's hardly dicing with death mate, taking your kids on a city break and catching public transport. :confused:

This is probably just as likely to happen in the UK, though. Travelling isn't the issue.
Correct it could have happened just about anywhere. I agree to an extent that it's not so much the travelling, although it's seems safer to travel with someone or as a group.
This. Backpackers could reduce the risk by not going solo. As said above, there are weirdos out there that prey on these people.
I've seen solo female backpackers thumbing for lifts here and accepting lifts from male car or truck drivers. It's a risk they take I suppose and perhaps most are quite innocent but there's always that risk.

Been following the story, it didn't look good once the family advised she'd stopped posting on social media abruptly (after avidly updating everyone about her travels on a daily basis). Thankfully her alleged killer left a trail that led back to him and I'm just relieved for the family that her body has now been recovered.
There are evil people everywhere, but I do think folks (especially solo females) should be a little more self aware about their safety. I personally cringe at some of the risks I've taken over the years, but I changed my ways once I became a mother tbh.
Good post ^

Last edited:
My 21 year old daughter is travelling in the summer with her boyfriend, 6 months back packing they are planning. He’s a bigger fanny than her.
I’m sure they gonna be fine but it does concern me when I see stuff like this.
It seems to be happening year on year now and I suppose we don’t hear about it happening to lads and lasses from other countries.

My 21 year old daughter is travelling in the summer with her boyfriend, 6 months back packing they are planning. He’s a bigger fanny than her.
It seems to be happening year on year now and I suppose we don’t hear about it happening to lads and lasses from other countries.
Correct ^ you probably wouldn't have heard about this one had the poor lass not been British. There will be more around the world but you won't necessarily get to hear about it because it's not relevant to the country you're living in.

No reason really apart from what's happened to the poor lass, besides I didn't say anywhere that she shouldn't, I said I didn't understand why a especially a 22 yer old female would go backpacking alone.

Absolutely spot on, it would seem a lot of people are a little naive, the reality is there's a lot of sick individuals out there and you have to have your wits about you, even here in New Zealand.
Everyone's different but in most cases it is independence. Backpacking to a large extent is about freedom and being able to go where and when the mood takes you. Travelling to the other side of the world and taking someone from home sort of defeats the object.

Without sounding brutal, there is much more danger for your daughter being a passenger in the car being driven by her boyfriend than there is her going backpacking, so don’t be too concerned about it.

@the boot Your daughter and boyfriend will be fine mate, don't let this get to you. If they're aware of the dangers and keep their wits about them they'll be fine.
Cheers mate. I’m sure they will

Without sounding brutal, there is much more danger for your daughter being a passenger in the car being driven by her boyfriend than there is her going backpacking, so don’t be too concerned about it.
Or even me in my car.

Last edited:
Everyone's different but in most cases it is independence. Backpacking to a large extent is about freedom and being able to go where and when the mood takes you. Travelling to the other side of the world and taking someone from home sort of defeats the object.
That's a good point but surely you can still feel the freedom if you were to have someone you know and trust with you. It also means you have someone with you to share the experience.

That's a good point but surely you can still feel the freedom if you were to have someone you know and trust with you. It also means you have someone with you to share the experience.
Two lasses I grew up with went travelling when I did (we chose to go a few days apart). We bumped into each other in Bali, met up in Melbourne and they later came to see me in Sydney. One of them met a lad almost as soon as they arrived in Melbourne and they stayed for six months despite the other wanting to travel more. They are still good mates and I'm sure they had a great time but one them had her freedom almost immediately curtailed by the other as they'd promised not to split up.
Like I said, everyone is different but I couldn't have my freedom blocked by a mate when I was backpacking, no matter how close we were. This might not be the case for everyone but you said you couldn't understand why a young lass would want to do it and I can fully see why she would. It's rare that you get to live life by your own rules without work or family getting in the way. That's one of the major attractions of backpacking.

Back