Grace Millane - Body Found In Search For British Backpacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horrible watching this one play out. My daughter did the same, went travelling straight after her graduation with her then boyfriend and then again on her own last year on her own. She did much the same route through SE Asia for 4-5 months then on to Australia.

Every time the phone rang, my heart would skip a beat, and there were times when she’d be out of contact for a couple of days or longer when your brain would be going frantic.

Bizarrely it was when she got to Australia that we relaxed a bit more, believing she was now out of the danger zone and in safer territory.

She said it was the opposite and the worst people she met were invariably in the Ozzie hostels.

It’s made her as a person, she is so much more confident, and has experiences and tales to tell that I could only dream of, and I consider myself fairly well travelled.

She’s now working in Australia and building a great life for herself. There’s not a day goes by I’m not so proud of her.

RIP Grace and deepest sympathies to her family.

Two lasses I grew up with went travelling when I did (we chose to go a few days apart). We bumped into each other in Bali, met up in Melbourne and they later came to see me in Sydney. One of them met a lad almost as soon as they arrived in Melbourne and they stayed for six months despite the other wanting to travel more. They are still good mates and I'm sure they had a great time but one them had her freedom almost immediately curtailed by the other as they'd promised not to split up.
Like I said, everyone is different but I couldn't have my freedom blocked by a mate when I was backpacking, no matter how close we were. This might not be the case for everyone but you said you couldn't understand why a young lass would want to do it and I can fully see why she would. It's rare that you get to live life by your own rules without work or family getting in the way. That's one of the major attractions of backpacking.
Excellent post mate, yeah I guess I understand what you mean in that situation.

Horrible watching this one play out. My daughter did the same, went travelling straight after her graduation with her then boyfriend and then again on her own last year on her own. She did much the same route through SE Asia for 4-5 months then on to Australia.

Every time the phone rang, my heart would skip a beat, and there were times when she’d be out of contact for a couple of days or longer when your brain would be going frantic.

Bizarrely it was when she got to Australia that we relaxed a bit more, believing she was now out of the danger zone and in safer territory.

She said it was the opposite and the worst people she met were invariably in the Ozzie hostels.

It’s made her as a person, she is so much more confident, and has experiences and tales to tell that I could only dream of, and I consider myself fairly well travelled.

She’s now working in Australia and building a great life for herself. There’s not a day goes by I’m not so proud of her.

For every great and proud story like that there's those that end up like Grace. Worrying about the safety of our children is part and parcel of being a parent, no matter how old they are they still remain little kids in parents eyes. I can't imagine how Grace's family are feeling now, for her it was an overseas experience that led to tragedy. RIP Grace

Last edited:

As a father of two young girls I really dont know how you managed it. I would be to take away.

I'm currently struggling with how to teach my daughters that not everyone is good and some people are very bad, without scaring them too much. I want them to see the world, but things like this are very worrying and I want them to be savvy.

Always seems like some sexually repressed
has taken the life of a lovely girl just to get his end away. Makes me so angry.

The issue here isn’t travelling. It’s more about educating young lasses on the dangers of meeting strangers for dates. If you are going to go back with a stranger make sure you drop into the conversation that you’ve updated your location on Facebook, or told family where you are. Anything that would make a wrong un think twice. Certainly not against young lasses having one night stands (not saying that’s what happened here). But you need to do everything you can to keep safe.

For every great and proud story like that there's those that end up like Grace. Worrying about the safety of our children is part and parcel of being a parent, no matter how old they are they still remain little kids in parents eyes. I can't imagine how Grace's family are feeling now, for her it was an overseas experience that led to tragedy. RIP Grace

What?

I’ve met plenty of lasses travelling by themselves when I’ve been and stuff like this is very rare. You’ll meet like minded people who will usually look out for you.

Stuff like this is horrible mind. Scares me too because I’ve got a decent yank mate who’s travelling by herself to South America which worries me.

Excellent post mate, yeah I guess I understand what you mean in that situation.

It's not a one to one ratio mate.

For every thousands upon thousands who do it there's one ends up like Grace.

Same as heading off to work in the morning. There s one somewhere doesn't make it.

Three years ago I’d have been really sad to hear this but now I’ve got a daughter of my own this kind of thing hits me like a train.

Having a son is easy, a miniature version of yourself to look after and do father/son things together, first match, first time playing football, dressing him in decent clobber without the Mrs finding out that kind of thing ... but having a daughter as well is so much harder. You’re naturally so protective and notice things that you otherwise wouldn’t have noticed. But not being there to protect my kids especially my daughter would kill me.

I can’t bear to imagine what her family and friends are going through.

You did. You said for every positive story of backpacking there are ones like this lass who's been murdered.
No you daft git, you've taken that the wrong way. I meant there's good stories like his but there's those that end up like Grace. It could have been worded better I admit like.

I think you are being a wee bit pedantic now mate

We all know what he meant.
Thank fuck someone does :lol:

I think you are being a wee bit pedantic now mate

We all know what he meant.

I read it as it was written, as did another poster who replied to him. One rule for me and another for everyone else for a change.

No you daft git, you've taken that the wrong way. I meant there's good stories like his but there's those that end up like Grace. It could have been worded better I admit like.

Fair enough.

Absolutely awful. Feel so sorry for her family. I just hope she didn't suffer at the hands of the wanker that robbed her of life. I hope he gets his comeuppance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back