Gout

Anyone had it in the heel before? My Achilles is sore as hell right now. Got an appointment on Friday but it'll likely be looking as good as new by then. It's the second time I've had this now. Two there and once confirmed in the toe since April.

Anyone had it in the heel before? My Achilles is sore as hell right now. Got an appointment on Friday but it'll likely be looking as good as new by then. It's the second time I've had this now. Two there and once confirmed in the toe since April.
Not in my heel but I've had it in my ankle which makes your heel feel.sore.

I can imagine that's even worse as at least I can walk flat footed.
I had an operation in June to fix a few things. Gout ruined my ankle knee and hip joints and the blood wasnt circulating into the affected joints. I'd not wish it on my worse enemy. Horrible thing to have

I had an operation in June to fix a few things. Gout ruined my ankle knee and hip joints and the blood wasnt circulating into the affected joints. I'd not wish it on my worse enemy. Horrible thing to have
Sorry to hear that. I'm hoping I get out on meds to stop that degeneration of joints. There is no sign of it anywhere else yet thankfully, just one foot.

Sorry to hear that. I'm hoping I get out on meds to stop that degeneration of joints. There is no sign of it anywhere else yet thankfully, just one foot.
I'm on allopurinol which limits me to very limited attacks. Hope your heel gets better and all the best

No, but that sounds horrid! It's horrid anywhere but that sounds especially rank

Do you drink any form of alcohol mate? I used to get it in both big toes and once had it in both toes and left heel. As you say sore as hell. I ask because the heel flare up was caused by having a few ciders days previous I think. Ever since knocking on the head I haven't had a flare up.

I do drink and was drinking a little more regularly last week. When the toe happened I wasn't drinking much at all though. The doctor advised last time that they don't believe diet has a great deal of effect anymore. Either way I am going to have to get more active and drink eat a bit cleaner so I can still do the things I enjoy!

My ankle has flared up over the weekend.
Mines def not diet related as ive not drank a lot in last week, seems to come and go every 6 months or so.
Stress seems to cause mine to come, got a lot on at work at minute can only think its that
Should take the tablets really but getting a sensible conversation or repeat prescription from docs is almost more painful :neutral:

Had it in big toes, ankles, knees and wrists. It’s the worst pain in the world.
Alluprinol now and colchine (sp) on an outbreak.
Narproxen helps too

I saw the doctor, 5 days after doing an e-consult. I expected I might have been given cochicine in the interim but wasn't, so by the time I got it, it was pretty ineffective compared to catching it early. He is unconvinced it is gout on my heel because naturally after that long the redness is gone, even if the pain kept waking me up at night and getting better by morning. So I had an x-ray a couple of days later and I have to do the blood test again in 5 weeks. Must admit even though the pain is now gone, I can still feel 'something' in the achilles. I didn't know not to take Aspirin either until a couple of days ago.

I saw the doctor, 5 days after doing an e-consult. I expected I might have been given cochicine in the interim but wasn't, so by the time I got it, it was pretty ineffective compared to catching it early. He is unconvinced it is gout on my heel because naturally after that long the redness is gone, even if the pain kept waking me up at night and getting better by morning. So I had an x-ray a couple of days later and I have to do the blood test again in 5 weeks. Must admit even though the pain is now gone, I can still feel 'something' in the achilles. I didn't know not to take Aspirin either until a couple of days ago.
Colchicine is f***ing awful stuff, mind. It does the job but after a few days on it my stomach is absolutely wrecked. I’m on allopurinol now, which stops any attacks progressing. I’ll feel the familiar twinge in my foot but it won’t progress beyond the initial stage, and disappears within a day. Not had an attack for years now, since going on allopurinol.

I sympathise with anyone who suffers. It’s a bit of a comedy affliction due to its association with ‘rich living’ but it absolutely destroys your quality of life. I had it for three months once and it drove me into a massive depressive episode due to the inescapable pain.

Some times it is siatica.

In the achilles? Hope not! The pain was the same as gout, sod having both.
Colchicine is f***ing awful stuff, mind. It does the job but after a few days on it my stomach is absolutely wrecked. I’m on allopurinol now, which stops any attacks progressing. I’ll feel the familiar twinge in my foot but it won’t progress beyond the initial stage, and disappears within a day. Not had an attack for years now, since going on allopurinol.

I sympathise with anyone who suffers. It’s a bit of a comedy affliction due to its association with ‘rich living’ but it absolutely destroys your quality of life. I had it for three months once and it drove me into a massive depressive episode due to the inescapable pain.
I've had no I'll effects either time. But I understand the dose is short and restricted because it impairs either kidney or liver function.

Last edited:
Turns out I have an achilles tendonopathy which can also flare up really bad with sugar. Or an outside chance of both at the same time. I have to have another blood test on Friday.

No one had it for a while ? It’s 14 months since my last episode but it’s back. In my elbow. Absolute agony. I’m not supposed to take them but I’ve had to resort to a double dose of 500mg of naproxen.
I will also have 2 litres of cherry juice today in the hope I get some relief.
It’s fish and chip shop of the year week and I’m hosting all week so this couldn’t have come at a worse time.
The only thing changed in my diet is I’ve been drinking lots of lemon and ginger tea and that is actually supposed to be a good gout suppressant.

Yes me.
Last Saturday when a little bit drunk I stupidly decided to have 4 slices of marmite on toast, I hadn't had an attack or even a twinge for so long just assumed the tablets were doing their thing.
Woke up Monday morning with a little tenderness in my ankle, by Monday night I was crippled.
Only just getting over it now.

I always have had arthritis in feet manage it quite easily and not much bother. After driving other week shoe was digging in Achilles limping next day. Both feet knacking next day. Had to crawl on hands and knees to toilet. Lay on sofa all week in same position as knees killing. Now in hospital with a gout attack apparently.

I always have had arthritis in feet manage it quite easily and not much bother. After driving other week shoe was digging in Achilles limping next day. Both feet knacking next day. Had to crawl on hands and knees to toilet. Lay on sofa all week in same position as knees killing. Now in hospital with a gout attack apparently.
My thoughts are with you !!
Yes me.
Last Saturday when a little bit drunk I stupidly decided to have 4 slices of marmite on toast, I hadn't had an attack or even a twinge for so long just assumed the tablets were doing their thing.
Woke up Monday morning with a little tenderness in my ankle, by Monday night I was crippled.
Only just getting over it now.
Didn’t know marmite can bring it on.

Back