Gout

Rickety Cricket

Full Back
Just getting over the worst gout attack I’ve ever had.
Constantly in pain, couldn’t walk and hardly slept. The doc upped my allopurinol and give me steroids the swelling.
Anyhow, over the worst of it now. Onwards and upwards eh.

Constantly in pain, couldn’t walk and hardly slept. The doc upped my allopurinol and give me steroids the swelling.

Tip of the day........

I might have read this wrong mate, but you shouldn't take Allopurinol when you have an attack....

I’ve broke my toe, my elbow and tore my knee and ankle ligaments - none come close to the pain that gout gave me. It was unreal. Women are lucky if they the most pain they have to endure is child birth. This was much worse :)
My mam got gout.
She said that she'd rather give birth :lol:

You are indeed correct. Had a blood test when I first spotted the signs of an attack coming on. The ulrich acid levels were a lot higher than normal, so the doc upped the dosage.

I used to be on Allopurinol, but the attacks were worse and more frequent, I stopped taking it around 6 months ago, if I feel an attack coming on I take an Indomethacin which is prescribed from my doctor then it's normally gone over night....

I discussed this with my doctor only last week as I had a blood test and my levels were quite high, he was happy to keep presribing the Indomethacin and keep me off the Allopurinol whilst monitoring it over the next 6 months....

Colciccini when you’ve actually got gout, allopurinol to keep it at bay.
I had a heart attack a few years ago, didn’t come anywhere near to the pain of a good dose of gout.

I used to be on Allopurinol, but the attacks were worse and more frequent, I stopped taking it around 6 months ago, if I feel an attack coming on I take an Indomethacin which is prescribed from my doctor then it's normally gone over night....

I discussed this with my doctor only last week as I had a blood test and my levels were quite high, he was happy to keep presribing the Indomethacin and keep me off the Allopurinol whilst monitoring it over the next 6 months....

So 1 dose of Indomethacin when you feel a gout attack coming on is enough to stop it kicking in ?

Last edited:
So 1 dose of Indomethacin when you feel a gout attack coming on is enough to stop it kicking in ?

Works for me mate, I'm not saying it would for everyone....

When I was on the Allopurinol I used to get an attack and it would last for a few days, now when I feel it, I take one Indomethacin before bed and a couple of paracetemol and I'm normally OK the next morning, I have had the odd time when I've had to do it 2 nights in a row but the pain is massively decreased from when I am on Allopurinol....

Might sound sadistic, but I wish everyone could have a canny bout of gout, just for five minutes to see what it was like. I can’t believe how much a toe can hurt!

Back