Gout

You always know folk who haven’t had it cos they laugh when you mention it, people who suffer are generally sympathetic.
allopurinol for me with a stash of naproxen just in case.
indomethacin (Idocid) kept it it bay for a couple of years 20 odd years ago but finally gave in to a couple of daily tablets

200mg for me which from what I hear isn’t particularly high

Not that I can think of. I am really just eating plain and stodgy food and there is no pattern. I want to get on the allopurinol as soon as.
Allopurinol is the way forward if you're getting regular attacks. Hope it goes away soon and good luck with the op. Hope it goes ok 👍

Use a process of elimination to see if it's diet driven
My dad gets it from food with red colourants like tika masala
Single malt Whisky and corned beef are my two main triggers. Right pisser. Love Whisky. Not arsed about corned beef mine. Normally my ankle top of me foot that’s first to play up.

Single malt Whisky and corned beef are my two main triggers. Right pisser. Love Whisky. Not arsed about corned beef mine. Normally my ankle top of me foot that’s first to play up.
I have had a big more corned beef than normal. Never knew that was a trigger.
I’ve never had the top of the foot big before until this time. It’s murder.

Last edited:
You always know folk who haven’t had it cos they laugh when you mention it, people who suffer are generally sympathetic.
It's mainly because the word "gout" sounds like something only Captain Bugwash would get. If you say "I have a form of arthritis" folk tend to listen more.

I've had it for five or six years. First attack I got I was out and thought I'd broken my foot. Once I had it diagnosed I was still in the dark as was told I was just "unlucky" and I'd have to work out myself what sets it off. Lager for me and pale ale.

Last edited:
I am limited to 1 litre of fluid a day which may be the cause. I have a temporary “ bag “ which gets reversed in 2 weeks time. It is a very active bag and I am def dehydrated all the time. Weekly visit to hospital for infusions.
I have never had gout like this. When my op is over I need this gout investigated as it’s getting worse with age. I’ve had no rich food or booze for 3 months.
Not sure what your medical status allows but talk to your doctor about febuxostat. Was a game changer for me after years of bother as I'm allergic to allopurinol

It's mainly because the word "gout" sounds like something only Captain Bugwash would get. If you say "I have a form of arthritis" folk tend to listen more.

I've had it for five or six years. First attack I got I was out and thought I'd broken my foot. Once I had it diagnosed I was still in the dark as was told I was just "unlucky" and I'd have to work out myself what sets it off. Lager for me and pale ale.
first doctor I saw was pretty straight said it’s basically a metabolism problem I’ve never found my triggers, I’m my own worst enemy mind I forget to take my tablets for days on end then I get the twinges usually catch it in time mind

Never had gout, but had shingles last year on my head and neck and it was the worst pain I've ever been through. Absolutely horrific.
I've had shingles on my scalp and neck , horrendous.
However last night I had a gout attack for the second time in a couple of years and Jesus wept it was agony - I never had a wink of sleep. Started on codeine but it just bounced off it, eventually found some nurofen about 6 in the morning and it had an immediate effect.

I've had shingles on my scalp and neck , horrendous.
However last night I had a gout attack for the second time in a couple of years and Jesus wept it was agony - I never had a wink of sleep. Started on codeine but it just bounced off it, eventually found some nurofen about 6 in the morning and it had an immediate effect.
Shite one mate, hope it goes quickly.

I got up at 6.30 to go to hospital for my infusions. I couldn’t get up. Still in bed whimpering. The car door smashing on your ankle is the best description I’ve heard.
I crawled to the toilet in tears. I then managed to stand and keeled over with the pain.
Had double naproxen ( from turkey , not prescribed ) and I think it is letting up a bit at last. Couldn’t see me crying and crawling round a hospital ward. Especially when I have to visit the toilet regularly.

Always thought gallstones was the worst pain I’d ever had then gout came along, I felt pretty much like a cripple. Constant pain and you can’t even scratch your head without feeling pain in your foot. Luckily allopurinol keeps it at bay now and colchicine when needed. It was that bad last year I stopped eating meat and that’s something I’ve carried on. Absolutely no idea what my triggers are, thought it was the booze then I had a minor attack a few weeks back when I’d been sober for two weeks.

Definitely agree with the other sufferers on the reaction from those who have never had it, if only I had a quid for everyone who said ‘oooo rich living’.

I do recommend for those who do have it but haven’t been to the doctors should go, you’ll have meds on hand for when you need them.

Last edited:
Always thought gallstones was the worst pain I’d ever had then gout came along, I felt pretty much like a cripple. Constant pain and you can’t even scratch your head without feeling pain in your foot. Luckily allopurinol keeps it at bay now and colchicine when needed. It was that bad last year I stopped eating meat and that’s something I’ve carried on. Absolutely no idea what my triggers are, thought it was the booze then I had a minor attack a few weeks back when I’d been sober for two weeks.

Definitely agree with the other sufferers on the reaction from those who have never had it, if only I had a quid for everyone who said ‘oooo rich living’.

I do recommend for those who do have it but haven’t been to the doctors should go, you’ll have meds on hand for when you need them.
You are 100%!right about gojng to the docs ( although I am yet to ). Me and some mates are like a secret society. We have a group chat and when one gets it we give the others the nod for the cochicine and naproxen. We get those in turkey and Spain as well.
Bearing in mind I have had no booze or rich food for over 10 weeks it’s not rich living either.
It’s bad arthritis and should carry no shame.

You are 100%!right about gojng to the docs ( although I am yet to ). Me and some mates are like a secret society. We have a group chat and when one gets it we give the others the nod for the cochicine and naproxen. We get those in turkey and Spain as well.
Bearing in mind I have had no booze or rich food for over 10 weeks it’s not rich living either.
It’s bad arthritis and should carry no shame.
I had it a few years ago and it didn’t last long so I didn’t go to the doctors, hit me horrendous last June but I knew the trigger them was alcohol cos I’d just been away and caned it everyday so I had to go to the doctors twice to get it sorted. I’ve had little attacks since that were more like cramp if anything but still enough to take some colchicine (which I’m heavily stocked up on now). There’s a family like as me fatha has suffered from it as well but he’s right when he said to me it just disappears one day and you didn’t realise you had it.

Back