Goodbye Little Britain

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the patriot needs to go aswell then.

Because in that film they have a plantation ran by white people and full of black people working in the fields yet when asked they all pretend everythings fine and they aren't slaves :lol:

The Patriot is embarrassing in the way it portrays Americans as if they were in total harmony with the slaves and weren't shitheads at all.

Aye it's up there with Braveheart for historical innacuracy.

The King provided good competition for them both. Think Braveheart tops it by having the Battle of Stirling Bridge without a Bridge.

Saying that, The King has the Battle of Agincourt won with infantry and solo duels

You never had dinner with Tolstoy's son.
It was his son ir grandson or something. Lord Tolstoy. Tory bellend but quite entertaining in his own way
Maybe it was dinner with Gershwin?
No definitely not :lol:

I'm not huge on Tolstoy. My brother read war and peace and realised the character he most identified with about halfway through was a dog.
He wasn't my cup of tea when we were at dinners either. Don't really think much about him to be honest. If I had thought about it I would have realised War and Peace Tolstoy was too long ago to be his father.

Last edited:
But if history reveals that some slaves were happy then it can be portrayed? I'm sure the lot of most slaves were far from happy but I have no idea. Was a black slave worse off with a benign owner than Russian serf with an absent despotic landowner? Shall I hoy out my Tolstoy? It is an interesting subject for debate.
I'm just wary of whitewashing the past and shutting down popular works that do not fit in with current thinking.
There was two types of slave 1) the house slave and 2) the field slave ( I have substituted slave for the actual word used at the time). The house slave lived in the masters house, ate his food, got shelter, looked after his kids, if his house was on fire he would help put it out and didnt want to runaway and sometimes on the masters death got freedom or a gift. Whereas the field slave lived in squalor and hated his master. Malcom X did a great speech on this (its on you tube) and he accused the likes of Martin Luther King and other black leaders as being like the house slave

There had just been a black guy on Sky News who brought up a good point. Why are all these protestors not protesting about MTV depicting the black man as a gun toting , woman abusing gangster ?

Clockwork Orange was banned at Kubrick's request, I think then, the ban should have been given respect and adhered to.

As for Gone with the Wind, Hattie McDaniel won an Oscar, the first African American to do so, granted for playing a happy racially stereotyped black slave. She was born to slaves and on Oscar night had to sit at a table that was segregated from the rest of the room due to her race, then she was denied entry to the after party because she was black. In 1940 civilised intelligent people knew just as today that slavery was an abhorrent scourge so to portray this vision of happy go lucky slaves and earnest glamorous slavers was knowingly wrong.
The real villain in Gone with the Wind is the carpet bagger, he who would strip the white of their assets when they were most vulnerable I think.
Hollywood was getting it wrong in 1940, it is getting it wrong still today, see The Help.
This is despite it knowing full well what is right, see Porgy and Bess, see any of the Marx Brothers' films which cast black performers as artists in their own rights, most notably in Day at the Races. Unfortunately I can see that while the Marx Bros intention was far from racist the current view of the depiction of the black people in their film will be seen as racist.
Porgy and Bess was written in 1935 way before Gone with the Wind, they knew better than to portray slavery in such a light and the film should be castigated for that, and it's offensive portrayal of marital rape as a way of sorting an uppity wife out.
Banned at Kubrick's request following a number of deaths/ violent crimes in which defence lawyers used it as a defence claiming it had corrupted the accused

Banned at Kubrick's request following a number of deaths/ violent crimes in which defence lawyers used it as a defence claiming it had corrupted the accused
Kubrick was a twat. I don't think it right to view work the creator has asked to be kept private though. Seemed sneaky to wait until he died and then release it.

Shame it’s not true. What seems like 50yrs of programmes to get half a dozen good shows. Porridge, Fawlty Towers hit bullseye every time, OFAH not so much. Strangely enough Sidney Poitier was its finest moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back