Goodbye Little Britain

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date

A slave trader statue I can accept (though I see the rioters have stopped short of tearing down the sign to the nearby Colston Tower), but one of greatest all-time classic Hollywood blockbuster movies staring some of the biggest of the Hollywood legends from the "Golden Age"?

If we erased from existence any TV show or movie that makes any reference to black people, it erases black people and their places in society through history totally from history, and it erases any ability for them to teach people what black people at any time in history went through. Which for me defeats the object of what black people are striving for I think.

Gone With The Wind was just a film. Just a story. They were only acting. It was not racist. But it does document very well the way black people were perceived and their place in society at the time the film was set.

When is is going "too far" completely changing the course of history to suit black people?

Last edited:
Joseph Goebbels and Uncle Joe Stalin would be proud of the re-writing of entertainment. Of course I condemn racism and slavery, but people should be educated. If the purge continues we will lose a lot of Spike's work and Peter Sellers. When will the book burning start? Tin hat on.
I think you make a good point.

I read my son the Mark Twain classics of Tom Sawyer and Huckelberry Finn a while ago remembering them from my childhood as the carefree adventurers of two boys. At first I regretted starting them because the Huck Finn story was his intertwined with that of an escaped slave who just wanted to be free and reunited with his family. Some of the attitudes towards black people were horrific and there was prolific use of the n word. There were even bits in there saying that black people were not capable of loving a family like good white people so it did not matter that families where split up and sold off.

What this lead to was a number of very healthy discussions about how wrong all of this was on every possible level. My daughter had been half listening and came in too. It was an opportunity for me to reaffirm that all humans are equals, no matter where they are from or what genetics affect skin colour. Also about how people can give groups of other people a label and make up things, like they don’t have feelings, because it makes it easier to wave away what deep down they know is wrong.

When it comes down to it, Mark Twain wrote about what it was like back then. It was wrong but we can’t hide it. There is also the undertone in the stories, when you get past the shock, that black lives do matter. Two young lads not tainted by society could see that but the well to do educated adults could not.

I’d much rather have read that and feel like I educated the kids than pretend that nobody ever did anything wrong and the world was always full of bunnies and rainbows.

I am sickened. I am disgusted. I am appalled.

I love Little Britain and can think of TWO sketches where Matt Lucas and David Walliams dressed up as Black & White Minstrel's. Reading the Wikipedia page on the Black & White Minstrel Show it says the faces were actually red (not black) because black did not register as well on the screen. So the Minstrels actually may not have been racist.

I recall ONE where Matt dressed up as someone called Rev. Jesse King. But that parodies the character (the Black-American Preacher who believes in the healing power of The Lord) not his race. Indeed a guy coughed and he thought by putting his hand on his head he could "heal" him but when it didn't work he pulled out a tube of cough sweets.

Remember the one where Matt played a dad who was taking his son for driving lessons but he was an ex copper? At the end he uttered the words "On your way, black bastard". But where was this black guy? Nowhere. The joke wan't the fact he was being racist to a black guy. The racist ex copper was the joke.

Little Britain is totally innocent and some people are just too over sensitive.

I think you make a good point.

I read my son the Mark Twain classics of Tom Sawyer and Huckelberry Finn a while ago remembering them from my childhood as the carefree adventurers of two boys. At first I regretted starting them because the Huck Finn story was his intertwined with that of an escaped slave who just wanted to be free and reunited with his family. Some of the attitudes towards black people were horrific and there was prolific use of the n word. There were even bits in there saying that black people were not capable of loving a family like good white people so it did not matter that families where split up and sold off.

What this lead to was a number of very healthy discussions about how wrong all of this was on every possible level. My daughter had been half listening and came in too. It was an opportunity for me to reaffirm that all humans are equals, no matter where they are from or what genetics affect skin colour. Also about how people can give groups of other people a label and make up things, like they don’t have feelings, because it makes it easier to wave away what deep down they know is wrong.

When it comes down to it, Mark Twain wrote about what it was like back then. It was wrong but we can’t hide it. There is also the undertone in the stories, when you get past the shock, that black lives do matter. Two young lads not tainted by society could see that but the well to do educated adults could not.

I’d much rather have read that and feel like I educated the kids than pretend that nobody ever did anything wrong and the world was always full of bunnies and rainbows.

That’s a beautiful post and affirms my sentiments entirely. Thank you.

We should learn from history but we rarely do. Erasing history does not help our next generation learn from it.

going to have to review Shakespeare plays ' merchant of venice ' for example. Could be construed as anti-semitic.
It was anti Semitic, but that is the point ot holds that society up to a light and shows its faults. Merchant of Venice was not construed as Anti Semitic at the time because the attitudes portrayed in the book where the norm but looking at it now we can learn about that society from it.

I am sickened. I am disgusted. I am appalled.

I love Little Britain and can think of TWO sketches where Matt Lucas and David Walliams dressed up as Black & White Minstrel's. Reading the Wikipedia page on the Black & White Minstrel Show it says the faces were actually red (not black) because black did not register as well on the screen. So the Minstrels actually may not have been racist.

I recall ONE where Matt dressed up as someone called Rev. Jesse King. But that parodies the character (the Black-American Preacher who believes in the healing power of The Lord) not his race. Indeed a guy coughed and he thought by putting his hand on his head he could "heal" him but when it didn't work he pulled out a tube of cough sweets.

Remember the one where Matt played a dad who was taking his son for driving lessons but he was an ex copper? At the end he uttered the words "On your way, black bastard". But where was this black guy? Nowhere. The joke wan't the fact he was being racist to a black guy. The racist ex copper was the joke.

Little Britain is totally innocent and some people are just too over sensitive.
You can't just think of yourself though SBC. If people might be offended then it can't really be shown anymore. At least you'll still have your memories and no one can take them away from you🤗

I think this is part of the issue, I'm offended so nobody should see this. It's a selfish attitude to not let people have their own opinions.

Exactly. I think it is a very serious accusation to allege that if a person claims they aren't offended by something then they are only thinking about themselves.

I find being falsely accused of being selfish worse than being accused of being racist. Not once in 43 years do I believe I've ever only thought about myself. Nowhere do I say I'm only thinking about myself.

It is a statement of opinion that Little Britain wasn't being intentionally racist. Not that I didn't find it racist.

• The show's creators David Walliams and Matt Lucas said in 2017 they would 'definitely do [the show] differently' in today's cultural landscape
  • Lucas said it was 'lazy' for white people to 'get a laugh just by playing black characters'
  • He added there had not been 'bad intent there' and they had simply been showing off about 'what a diverse bunch of people we could play'
  • The show's creators David Walliams and Matt Lucas said in 2017 they would 'definitely do [the show] differently' in today's cultural landscape
  • Lucas said it was 'lazy' for white people to 'get a laugh just by playing black characters'
  • He added there had not been 'bad intent there' and they had simply been showing off about 'what a diverse bunch of people we could play'
I don’t agree with censorship though

Last edited:
Exactly. I think it is a very serious accusation to allege that if a person claims they aren't offended by something then they are only thinking about themselves.

I find being falsely accused of being selfish worse than being accused of being racist. Not once in 43 years do I believe I've ever only thought about myself. Nowhere do I say I'm only thinking about myself.

It is a statement of opinion that Little Britain wasn't being intentionally racist. Not that I didn't find it racist.
Sorry SBC maybe I should have worded it differently ie you should be more mindful of others' feelings. If people are taking offense at the shenanigans of Walliams then the withdrawal of the series is a legitimate action in my eyes.

Meanwhile in the North the free white lived in disease ridden, rat infested, over populated tenements for the privilege of working 16 hours a day for barely enough money to buy your daily bread. Nothing brought them back to work the next day better than a hungry stomach.

Yes, slavery was atrocious but so was the social slavery of their white companions.

Statues of Jesus will be next, he never spoke out about the horrors of slaves and their masters.

Extinction Rebellion already have him earmarked for "cancellation" because he never spoke out about car exhaust emissions. He's the Son Of God so he's prescient. He should have warned future generations about fossil fuels. Shoddy, lazy Messiahship!
Thanks, I watched Roots when it first came out and remember it was powerful, but I've forgotten the content. I must try and watch again.
Seen To Kill a Mocking Bird, not the other 3 so will look for them.

Mississippi Burning is a very powerful film. Gene Hackman excels.

Last edited:

Back