Good places in Europe to go and take a game in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at organising a weekend away in late October and was hoping to include a match. Obviously it depends on fixtures but, I wanted to know where is decent, digs, night out, ticket availability and stuff. Thanks for any help.
I've heard that Napoli is excellent

I'm hoping to head to Lithuania in october to watch England, take in Belarus, Latvia, Estonia and Finland too as part of a trip

I'm looking at organising a weekend away in late October and was hoping to include a match. Obviously it depends on fixtures but, I wanted to know where is decent, digs, night out, ticket availability and stuff. Thanks for any help.
Fly to dusseldorf and you've got loads of options within an hour's journey like cologne and leverkused.
Although Poland is topper for short breaks, the football is woeful.

Lisbon is good, cheap aswell. Both stadiums of Benfica and Sporting are impressive.

I'd have to recommend Feyenoord, great company who love any Sunderland lads, only 40 minutes from Amsterdam aswell if you want to go in a group.

Personally, I thought Amsterdam was shite like.

So is Rotterdam mate. Its a lads football and beer trip. We need, lots of clubs preferably with staggered kick off times, decent quality beer and err that's it really.

Rotterdam is not a dump at all.

Budapest - Honved. Went about 8 years ago with a couple of mates. Having a few drinks outside a boozer nearby to the stadium, a few of rough looking characters heard our accents and started talking to us. Not wanting any trouble I started talking about Martin Fulop and how class he was :lol:. Must have impressed them so they kinda took us around with them. They didn't like blacks or Jews mind :eek:
Me and the wifey ( nee way) were having a drink in Budapest, one warm Friday evening in May.
It was a roadside bar, Ferencevaros were playing about 2 miles down the road and were on TV.
Next minute, loads of police cars screaming past, going towards the ground.
On TV was quite a lot of fans doing what Di Canio might term a Roman Salute.
Didn't see many black people there, and they don't have a great history with the Jews either.
I like the city though, and quite a few of the buildings still have bullet holes in them from the uprising in ( I think) 1957.
Loads to do and see.

Have been to both the Nou Camp and Bernebau. Both are great cities, but prefer Barcelona.
Seville is deffo worth a visit.
Malaga is a surprisingly Spanish city compared to how international and close Torremolinos is.

Below, haven't been to the footy, but can comment on the cities
Prefer Krakow to Wroclaw, especially considering Wroclaw was destroyed and rebuilt after the war, Krakow escaped untouched. Also, the salt mines are amazing and it has a big fort overlooking the city.
Other contenders are Rome, Lisbon , Prague and of course Budapest
Eastern Europe much cheaper, so your coin goes much further.
Stockholm is a truly beautiful ( but a bit boring ) city, Copenhagen more lively but not as pretty.
Germany is getting lots of recommendations on here.

Last edited:
is there much sight seeing or mainly place for piss up and chance to see footy considering there going to look into Gdansk need to see where is cheapest

Krakow is far superior to Gdansk in every way. Whilst I haven't been to a game in Poland I've been to all three stadiums in Krakow and to Gdansks ground too. Wisla & Cracovia are separated by a park and are relatively new whilst WKS Wawels ground is a tip. Gdansk is a new stadium built for Euro 2012 and looks like a smaller version of the Allianz in Munich.

Lisbon is good, cheap aswell. Both stadiums of Benfica and Sporting are impressive.

I'd have to recommend Feyenoord, great company who love any Sunderland lads, only 40 minutes from Amsterdam aswell if you want to go in a group.

Agree mate re Amsterdam

Starting to wish I never asked, it's caused a bigger headache with all the options I've been given. :lol:
Pound a pint

Dusseldorf is in a good location to stay for Dortmund, Cologne, Schalke etc. You could always go on the ICE train which is a fantastic service to Berlin afterwards (cost me €19) which takes about 3hrs from Dortmund. Germany was fantastic for the England game last month i would definitely go back.
Madrid is another city worth looking at it wasnt that expensive and theres loads of great bars tucked away on the side streets.

Amsterdam is shite? :lol:

@Harbour Boy definitely go to Porto, it's a nice city, a bit more gritty than Lisbon. If you have the time you could easy do both cities on the same trip, it's only 3hrs on a train between the two, cheap tickets as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back