Good article on Swann in the Sunday Times

It seems with Dhoni it was a case of being mentally drained rather than anything else, again this can happen as I have said before, players leave tours for variety of reasons. Would he have done this had they been playing Pakistan? Who knows but I'd guess at no. I certainly don't think it was an ego thing with Dhoni as it was with Swann.
Swann decided he was fit enough to tour and play until he was getting belted to all corners and was about to be dropped. All of a sudden the injury became too much and off he went. Very convenient.
So being mentally drained is better than being injured that makes you bowl like a drain?

Even when you’re captain?

You’re making it up as you go along

So being mentally drained is better than being injured that makes you bowl like a drain?

Even when you’re captain?

You’re making it up as you go along
I'd say being captain of India is about as mentally draining a job as you get in cricket, particularly when done it for so long.
He was injured before he went and was happy to potter on until he was about to be dropped and then it was a case of get me out of here!
There are no situations that are like swanns I'm afraid. His ego wouldn't allow him to sit it out and carry the drinks which is what other lads had to do for him while he was getting twatted about.

I'd say being captain of India is about as mentally draining a job as you get in cricket, particularly when done it for so long.
He was injured before he went and was happy to potter on until he was about to be dropped and then it was a case of get me out of here!
There are no situations that are like swanns I'm afraid. His ego wouldn't allow him to sit it out and carry the drinks which is what other lads had to do for him while he was getting twatted about.
Absolutely odd logic. A mentally drained captain is ok to retire mid series, and an injured bowler is not.

No it's not the same as Swann. It was a mental health issue and him staying on the tour could well have made him worse. What he nheeded to do was what he did which is to get out of the environment, get away from it all and recover and if he could to return to play for his county - which is what happened.

Both of them went on tour with questions, both of them couldn't reach the levels they'd played at previously, both of them went home. Swann never played again, that's how bad his injury was.

Not that any of this really matters on here like. I seems there can be excuses made for every other player whose ever left a tour early, except for Graeme Swann.

Both of them went on tour with questions, both of them couldn't reach the levels they'd played at previously, both of them went home. Swann never played again, that's how bad his injury was.

Not that any of this really matters on here like. I seems there can be excuses made for every other player whose ever left a tour early, except for Graeme Swann.
Indeed

Don’t get me wrong, Swann is a bellend. But the criticism here is weird.

That's what I always thought until recently when it emerged that he was told to leave by Flower.

I've gotta be honest here Bri, I'd like to hear Flower's version of events before making my mind up on this one.

Never held a bad opinion on Swann but I remember how disappointed I was when I heard that he'd retired and gone home. It felt to me that he was jumping ship and as said by others, it's very doubtful he'd have been doing that if we were in a winning position. I think he'd have hung on to get the plaudits and the bus trip in.

Also, if Flower did say that then maybe he was just calling him out. He may also have said this cos he just didn't fancy having him in the trenches for the remainder? The fact he did take the easy option (imo) does give this thought a bit of credence.

I must say, I didn't have much time for him after this and I do find it difficult to listen to his opinions in the media as a result.

Interesting. What's the story?
It was in the interview referenced in the thread title ..... his elbow collapsed, blah blah blah .... said he couldn't continue .... Flower told him he had to leave the tour.

I'll admit I was one of the first to criticise him for jumping ship, but now having read the article I think it's probable he was given no choice.

I'm in the lucky position of never having heard him commentate.

Back