Good article on Swann in the Sunday Times

I hope not as he's a right boring c@nt! Did all the other lads not involved have to hang around telling jokes as well? Didn't realise that was part of the gig for players not in first XI!
He made the choice to tour with his injury, he was going to be dropped as he'd been crap and his elbow issue was becoming more problematic. What be should've done was stay with the group, carry drinks do whatever and then make announcement at end of series. Things were bad enough to start with without him bailing halfway through.
And what about all the other people who leave tours injured? You’re not being consistent

Because he has mental health issues - of course he wont get the same level of abuse. Swann was fit enough to bowl in that match and would have been fit enough to bowl in the next if he hadn't been smacked to all corners. He said his elbow was letting him down towards the end of games - I never bought that he was just targeted and smashed and didn't like it.

Mental health issues that were known before he toured, same as Swann's elbow. Trott gave it a go but couldn't perform at his previous level, so he quit. Same as Swann. And let's not forget that Swann never bowled another ball in professional cricket, has had multiple surgeries since and still can't straighten his arm, so I reckon the elbow was pretty bad.

Swann gets more grief because he's a dislikeable character, it's pretty obvious.

And what about all the other people who leave tours injured? You’re not being consistent
The circumstances are totally different as I've already pointed out. He went on tour KNOWING he was struggling but declared himself fit. He then after getting his ball bust decided he couldn't take the disconfirt any longer and rather
than take his medicine and get dropped he bailed. This wasn't a Simon jones injury it was a pre existing one just like KP had but he stuck it out while Swann jumped ship. You know as well as I do that if we'd been 3 up he'd have stuck it out.
The writing was on the wall and wanted to distance himself from it.
Try and find me one player who has went on tour with a niggle, played, got found out, team being hunped and then before being dropped decided he was injured after all and scurried away home. He chose to go on tour with an injury and will have been fully aware of what could happen. His teammates were there with him watching him struggle and supported him, squad players on sidelines supporting him waiting for their chance. He should've afforded them the same courtesy for the last 2 tests. We were in disarray and his gutless departure just added to it.

Mental health issues that were known before he toured, same as Swann's elbow. Trott gave it a go but couldn't perform at his previous level, so he quit. Same as Swann. And let's not forget that Swann never bowled another ball in professional cricket, has had multiple surgeries since and still can't straighten his arm, so I reckon the elbow was pretty bad.

Swann gets more grief because he's a dislikeable character, it's pretty obvious.
The fact you're comparing mental health issues with a bad elbow shows a massive level of ignorance mind.

The circumstances are totally different as I've already pointed out. He went on tour KNOWING he was struggling but declared himself fit. He then after getting his ball bust decided he couldn't take the disconfirt any longer and rather
than take his medicine and get dropped he bailed. This wasn't a Simon jones injury it was a pre existing one just like KP had but he stuck it out while Swann jumped ship. You know as well as I do that if we'd been 3 up he'd have stuck it out.
The writing was on the wall and wanted to distance himself from it.
Try and find me one player who has went on tour with a niggle, played, got found out, team being hunped and then before being dropped decided he was injured after all and scurried away home. He chose to go on tour with an injury and will have been fully aware of what could happen. His teammates were there with him watching him struggle and supported him, squad players on sidelines supporting him waiting for their chance. He should've afforded them the same courtesy for the last 2 tests. We were in disarray and his gutless departure just added to it.

The fact you're comparing mental health issues with a bad elbow shows a massive level of ignorance mind.
Utter nonsense

To you it might be. To me its pretty obvious that he didn't like getting caned around all corners of Australia and spat the dummy out to protect an under 30 average despite not being any more injured after test 3 than he was after before test 1. ;)

Why does that matter? Why does that mean he should be a cheerleader? He was bowling crap, he was injured.
Of course it matters ! It's the entire essence of the debate man. Nobody has disputed players leave tours injured, it does happen all the time but not in the manner Swann did. He was about to be dropped so couldn't wait to get the excuses in rather than waiting for the series to finish. It was the same injury he had before he decided he was fit enough to tour.

Of course it matters ! It's the entire essence of the debate man. Nobody has disputed players leave tours injured, it does happen all the time but not in the manner Swann did. He was about to be dropped so couldn't wait to get the excuses in rather than waiting for the series to finish. It was the same injury he had before he decided he was fit enough to tour.
If he hadn’t gone on tour you would say he bottled it!

Dhoni and Harris both retired mid tour. Dhoni seemingly wasn’t even injured!

Smith just went home last week, as the captain shouldn’t he have stayed?

If he hadn’t gone on tour you would say he bottled it!

Dhoni and Harris both retired mid tour. Dhoni seemingly wasn’t even injured!

Smith just went home last week, as the captain shouldn’t he have stayed?
No I wouldn't have, if he'd said before hand im knackered it's the end then so be it. I don't blame him for not mind but once he's made that decision stick with it.
You keep rabbiting on about other players leaving tours which is totally irrelevant. Players do leave tours for a variety of reasons, I haven't disputed this nor has anyone else but it was the circumstances that made this piss poor, circumstances I've explained multiple times now and that you've still been unable to provide a similar scenario for.

No I wouldn't have, if he'd said before hand im knackered it's the end then so be it. I don't blame him for not mind but once he's made that decision stick with it.
You keep rabbiting on about other players leaving tours which is totally irrelevant. Players do leave tours for a variety of reasons, I haven't disputed this nor has anyone else but it was the circumstances that made this piss poor, circumstances I've explained multiple times now and that you've still been unable to provide a similar scenario for.
Dhoni and Harris are both similar. You seem to think that because we were losing that makes a difference?

Well Dhoni.

Captain
Not injured
Series lost
In Australia

Retired with a test to go

No it's not the same as Swann. It was a mental health issue and him staying on the tour could well have made him worse. What he nheeded to do was what he did which is to get out of the environment, get away from it all and recover and if he could to return to play for his county - which is what happened.

Dhoni and Harris are both similar. You seem to think that because we were losing that makes a difference?

Well Dhoni.

Captain
Not injured
Series lost
In Australia

Retired with a test to go
Of course it makes a difference. We weren't just losing we were being humped. Neither Harris or Dhoni were going to be dropped either. Swann was.

Dhoni gave up.

So it’s about whether you’re going to be dropped?
It seems with Dhoni it was a case of being mentally drained rather than anything else, again this can happen as I have said before, players leave tours for variety of reasons. Would he have done this had they been playing Pakistan? Who knows but I'd guess at no. I certainly don't think it was an ego thing with Dhoni as it was with Swann.
Swann decided he was fit enough to tour and play until he was getting belted to all corners and was about to be dropped. All of a sudden the injury became too much and off he went. Very convenient.

TBF the whole tour selection was poor. As well as Swann we had bowlers who couldn't be bowled and Borthwick shouldn't have been picked either, his bowling wasn't strong enough. Then, the same as now, his strong suit is batting. And the batting line up disintegrated with Root being moved around the order to try to fill gaps that couldn't be filled.
Borthwick took 4/82 even if he did go at a run a ball.

Back