Golf 2024 official thread

I can't stop lifting my bastard head up. I've been playing for years and got down to 12 last year but it's getting worse. It's actually embarrassing. I don't know anyone else who does it as much as me. It's completely ruining my game. The more I try to keep it down the worse it gets. Any cures plz cos I'm at me wits end.
As we all know, so much of golf is played in the head! Maybe what started as a minor anxiety for you has snowballed and is now affecting your whole game? Its Catch 22, the more you think about it, the more if happens. You go out there and the first thing you think about is lifting your head. I'm almost tempted to say the obvious...keep that head down and still...but also maybe combine that with slower swings, more exaggerated swings, all the time keeping your head pinned down. And keep your feet firmly on the ground for as loss as possible. Things happen to creep into your game...I've developed a shank and I'm off four...and that's embarrassing as off to the right the ball scoots...best of luck mate.

I can't stop lifting my bastard head up. I've been playing for years and got down to 12 last year but it's getting worse. It's actually embarrassing. I don't know anyone else who does it as much as me. It's completely ruining my game. The more I try to keep it down the worse it gets. Any cures plz cos I'm at me wits end.
As if I know, but this worked for me.
The standing up and hip thrust is usually caused by coming over the top, “shoulders first” swing.
It’s a last second correction.
Forget your head and just start the downswing with your hips, shoulders follow, shallow it out.

Best bet is go and see a pro, a few quid is nothing if it sorts your game out and you start enjoying your golf again.

I'm up in Nairn on holiday.

Nairn Dunbar is decent, however Nairn Golf Club is truly world class. Pricey during summer but good value at this time of year. No mats started this week, and I've got absolutely no idea how they're able to produce those putting surfaces at this time of year.

I'm up in Nairn on holiday.

Nairn Dunbar is decent, however Nairn Golf Club is truly world class. Pricey during summer but good value at this time of year. No mats started this week, and I've got absolutely no idea how they're able to produce those putting surfaces at this time of year.
The green on that par three at Nairn (14th?) is absolutely crazy. Someone I know played there and likened it to a skate park!

Absolutely. I've played about 400 rounds in the past 5 years and the closest I've been is to within an inch or so. From 100s of shots. He still boasts about it 😆
I’ve played on and off since I was 14 and I’ve been the same. Had a lay off for 8 year and came back a couple of year back and nearly had two in the last half dozen games. Sharpley 11th and dunstanburgh 15th or 16th iirc.

Played Shields this morning. 3 ball of young'un's in front holding us up on every shot. Constantly reloading on nearly every tee shot. Got to the 14th and they're just walking off the tee after taking fookin ages again.
Asked them why they weren't waving us through and all 3 of them just looked at me like I was daft. One of them then said you can't play through cos we've already played. I said you wanna fookin.bet and he told me to shut up so I said you what and started walking towards him. He turned away quick sharp.
Probably new members. You should have to pass an etiquette test before being allowed to join. Also the amount of unrepaired pitch marks and divots is unreal. Standards are going to the dogs. Hate young people me. And the old. Daint mind the women. They always just wave you straight through.

While they should’ve let you play through, you might fail the etiquette test if you’re trying to square up on the 14th.

Played Shields this morning. 3 ball of young'un's in front holding us up on every shot. Constantly reloading on nearly every tee shot. Got to the 14th and they're just walking off the tee after taking fookin ages again.
Asked them why they weren't waving us through and all 3 of them just looked at me like I was daft. One of them then said you can't play through cos we've already played. I said you wanna fookin.bet and he told me to shut up so I said you what and started walking towards him. He turned away quick sharp.
Probably new members. You should have to pass an etiquette test before being allowed to join. Also the amount of unrepaired pitch marks and divots is unreal. Standards are going to the dogs. Hate young people me. And the old. Daint mind the women. They always just wave you straight through.
Ive said on our course before some wont wave you through because they dont even know its a thing!

I’ve played on and off since I was 14 and I’ve been the same. Had a lay off for 8 year and came back a couple of year back and nearly had two in the last half dozen games. Sharpley 11th and dunstanburgh 15th or 16th iirc.
I'm sure I'm cursed. I've had a few shots go in from 150 yards for eagles but it isn't the same as a hole in one.

Crazy isn't it. All you need to know is replace your divots, repair your pitchmarks, rake the bunker and avoid slow play.
Yeh. Ours is pretty rough n ready where any fecker can play, in any clothing (im not arsed about that like). Many peoples first course I guess n maybe without a regular telling them the craic.

My favourite was my son. Blasted a shot out of a bunker, raked it lovely, then walked through the middle of it! 😂

Just played 9 holes at the end of an absolutely stunning day. Had a couple of beers during the round and a great natter with the lads I played with.

I played absolutely shithouse 😬

My son is texting me from the course now in a reet fettle. Playing newbiggin with his mate and stuck behind a load of old gadgies, nee intention of letting them through although pointless as that many, said they are that slow when he is on tee still 2 fourballs on the hole. Nigh on 2 hours and now on the 7th tee box..gerrrin 😂😂😂. Reckons at one point the collective age of golfers on the hole was well past 500.😂. Reckons they are oblivious and zero fucks given.

My son is texting me from the course now in a reet fettle. Playing newbiggin with his mate and stuck behind a load of old gadgies, nee intention of letting them through although pointless as that many, said they are that slow when he is on tee still 2 fourballs on the hole. Nigh on 2 hours and now on the 7th tee box..gerrrin 😂😂😂. Reckons at one point the collective age of golfers on the hole was well past 500.😂. Reckons they are oblivious and zero fucks given.
Sure ive told you same thing happened to me at Scarborough south. Middle of winter only one 4 ball on the course. Im about to tee off and a passer by says ill offend the captain and his brothers ahead. On the first hole they shook hands n chatted before leaving the green. This continued on every bastard hole. Me n my mate stood in cold waiting.
Ive no idea why i didnt kick off. If you’re not a member who the fucks a captain anyway. f***ing tosser. Rant over 😂

Sure ive told you same thing happened to me at Scarborough south. Middle of winter only one 4 ball on the course. Im about to tee off and a passer by says ill offend the captain and his brothers ahead. On the first hole they shook hands n chatted before leaving the green. This continued on every bastard hole. Me n my mate stood in cold waiting.
Ive no idea why i didnt kick off. If you’re not a member who the fucks a captain anyway. f***ing tosser. Rant over 😂
You should have. And if I have to have a word with a captain for being a speaks it role modelling good etiquette it’s time for me to move clubs anyway. So zero fucks would be given anyhow. 😂

Had a great day at Seahouses on Saturday at their open.
Forgot what a great back 9 it is, especially the 2 par 3’s over the inlet & the beach.
An average 36 points for our pair, with 47 winning it !

Back